• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Studying during Residency (suggestions?)

DocSpy332

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2017
    Hi guys! I hope everyone is safe and healthy!

I wanted to ask for your opinion! I am entering residency in a few days and looking for the best resource to study from during my training.

My plan is to have one main resource to use and study for 30 min- 1h every day. Of course, whenever needed I will use more resources to understand a difficult concept
    During medical school, I realized that the best way for me to learn is to use questions. So I believe that the best resource would be one much like UWorld. However, I don't want to waste UW qbank which in my understanding is really useful while preparing for the boards.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Sep 28, 2009
    1. Attending Physician
      Hi guys! I hope everyone is safe and healthy!

I wanted to ask for your opinion! I am entering residency in a few days and looking for the best resource to study from during my training.

My plan is to have one main resource to use and study for 30 min- 1h every day. Of course, whenever needed I will use more resources to understand a difficult concept
      During medical school, I realized that the best way for me to learn is to use questions. So I believe that the best resource would be one much like UWorld. However, I don't want to waste UW qbank which in my understanding is really useful while preparing for the boards.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Uptodate. Every patient you see.

Reactions: 1 users

Gaborik10

10+ Year Member
      Jul 23, 2011
      1. Fellow [Any Field]
        MKSAP
        Uptodate
        Searching review papers on certain topics
        For pathophys harrison's can actually be pretty helpful for remembering stuff you've forgotten from med school
        Certain blogs like lifeinthefast lane, emcrit etc... can be pretty helpful for certain topics

Reactions: 2 users
        About the Ads

stop2stop

5+ Year Member
        May 15, 2015
          You're going to realize very quickly that residency is a different beast than medical school. Read about your patients, first and foremost. Uptodate, etc. resource, whatever you need use the patients you see to guide you in various rotations. There are also MANY incredible podcasts out there now. You will find learning through podcasts driving to work, on a run, etc. may be your only time to get this kind of learning. Check them out, happy to add more if helpful

Reactions: 1 user

MNCASC

2+ Year Member
          Dec 8, 2018
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            You're going to realize very quickly that residency is a different beast than medical school. Read about your patients, first and foremost. Uptodate, etc. resource, whatever you need use the patients you see to guide you in various rotations. There are also MANY incredible podcasts out there now. You will find learning through podcasts driving to work, on a run, etc. may be your only time to get this kind of learning. Check them out, happy to add more if helpful
            Which podcasts? I listen to curbsiders and core IM. Also EM crit sometimes. Any others that are good?

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.