Studying early for verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, i want to start studying early for the verbal section by using EK 101 verbal. However that I would then have nothing to study with when I officially begin preparing 3 months before the test.

So, does anyone know of another verbal workbook I could use after/before I finish using the EK 101?

Members don't see this ad.

TPRH Verbal workbook is a good resource too. I don't know if I'd exhaust the EK 101 book this far out, as it is the arguably the best prep you'll find for verbal and you'd want to do it closer to your test to "gear up" for it. If you're more than 3 months out you may want to start reading more in general and holding off on those resources.

Read from The Economist, The NY Times, other newspapers, scientific journals, etc., and read critically, asking yourself to identify the main point and postulate possible applications and repercussions. Be sure to include stuff you don't like that the MCAT lists as possible topics (e.g. you hate history, but it's bound to show up) so you get used to it. I'm among the few who find reading anything enjoyable. You have to get used to reading boring stuff that doesn't really interest you, cause the MCAT doesn't cater to you.

Also, read for fun. The more you read, the better you do.

Good luck!

I would advise against using EK 101. Although the overwhelming consensus on this board is that EK 101 is the best verbal practice, I highly disagree. The questions are unreasonably convoluted in comparison to the MCAT.

plus there are even mistakes in that book...

as a reference, I barely got 9s and 10s on my EK practice exams but my AAMC average is 13. I find AAMC much easier and reliable to train on.

TPRH is good if you want reasonable prep. EK 101 is just discouraging.

Read from The Economist, The NY Times, other newspapers, scientific journals, etc., and read critically, asking yourself to identify the main point and postulate possible applications and repercussions. Be sure to include stuff you don't like that the MCAT lists as possible topics (e.g. you hate history, but it's bound to show up) so you get used to it. I'm among the few who find reading anything enjoyable. You have to get used to reading boring stuff that doesn't really interest you, cause the MCAT doesn't cater to you.

Yeah I agree with this. The biggest obstacle of VR is the reading itself (imo). This is pretty obvious because most of us do better with topics that we are familiar with or enjoy reading. Art history passages and stuff like that were the worst for me because I found it difficult to pay attention. Whether or not these passages were difficult or moderate, I found myself scoring the lowest. Just familiarizing yourself with reading (which may sound stupid now), is probably your best bet before you start cracking down with passages and practice questions.

You'll get used to reading lengthy articles on things that may or may not interest you. Even if the article is putting you to sleep, try to finish reading it. This will build your reading and analytically skills while also giving you stamina to stay through longer passages. Also, you'll figure out how quickly or slowly you feel comfortable reading and still absorbing the information.

I would advise against using EK 101. Although the overwhelming consensus on this board is that EK 101 is the best verbal practice, I highly disagree. The questions are unreasonably convoluted in comparison to the MCAT.

plus there are even mistakes in that book...

as a reference, I barely got 9s and 10s on my EK practice exams but my AAMC average is 13. I find AAMC much easier and reliable to train on.

TPRH is good if you want reasonable prep. EK 101 is just discouraging.

If you've got time, do EK...

To draw a sports analogy, you can't get better if you don't play teams that are tougher than you. This isn't even preseason, you don't have to worry about confidence quite yet, and the gains you'll make from EK verbal will make it worth your time. I still don't think you should start them YET but it's not like I'm saying it's the last thing you should do before test day either. It will wreck your confidence, but in the long run, it makes AAMC passages easier. And you've got time to make that happen.