Studying for 2nd year classes in summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camjakb

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a relatively mediocre showing this year (I'm an MSI) I'm ready to really take it to year #2. Thus, I'll probably begin studying for those classes soon after our finals at the end of the month.

Yes, I've been told to enjoy my last free summer, but I haven't had a summer off since I was 16. That being said, does anybody have any recommendations as to what and how to study? I was thinking of working through Robbins path, using the supplemental along the way. Others recommend going through Lippencott's pharmacology.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Having just finished my second year today (minus Step 1), I want to preface this message by saying that you're crazy...:eek: ;)

Second year for me was nothing like first year; in fact, first year was a breeze in comparison. The amount of time and energy spent studying in second year just isn't fun. Period. (But it is interesting at least). For this reason, if you're even remotely tired of studying after first year, TAKE A BREAK....

That being said, and if you're determined to do it...

Path BRS is definitely helpful. I too had plans last summer for doing what you're doing, and reading a little bit of this book was all I accomplished. I only got 100 pages in though. The only problem with this though is that learning path the first requires either pictures or more of an explanation than Path BRS offers, so it's not very easy to use initially.... get a medical dictionary. Also, Robbin's Review question book is useful. It's a book of all test questions, but it has detailed answers for each question, and is therefore useful for learning in and of itself.

Lippincott's pharm is a good book as an overview of pharm, and should be easy to read, even if you've never taken pharm. I'd also recommend Lange's Katzung Pharm review book. The review is kind of basic, but it's great questions to test your understanding from Lippincott, and it will be invaluable during the course next year and when you're preparing for Step 1.

As for microbio, I still haven't found a text I really like, but I think the Lippincott book again for this isn't horrible.

Good luck, and don't burn yourself out. Try to find some time to relax this summer...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by camjakb
After a relatively mediocre showing this year (I'm an MSI) I'm ready to really take it to year #2. Thus, I'll probably begin studying for those classes soon after our finals at the end of the month.

Yes, I've been told to enjoy my last free summer, but I haven't had a summer off since I was 16. That being said, does anybody have any recommendations as to what and how to study? I was thinking of working through Robbins path, using the supplemental along the way. Others recommend going through Lippencott's pharmacology.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Good God! Don't do that! Two words: Burn out.:eek: You'll die before the boards and then you're really screwed. Take it easy.:p

At times, I wish I had the drive and determination of the people who want to study during the summer to "get ahead."

At other times, I'm glad I don't because my life would probably be very miserable.

To each his or her own.

You are absolutely crazy. Don't even touch a book this summer. Get a fun job, take a trip, or just veg!

I agree with everyone else. Take time off or you'll burn out.

However, if you are determined to be stubborn, here's my suggestion:

Go back over your 1st year information. Yes, Im serious. It underlies everything you'll do second year, PLUS it'll refresh your mind for the boards. I'm sitting here looking at the anatomy reviews in First Aid for step 1 and thinking to myself "Oh crap. I know I learned this at one point (1.5 years ago) but I cant remember it!"

I mean really, DO you remember all the derivatives of every pharyngeal cleft, pouch, etc? Could you point to all of Brodmann's areas in the brain? Name all the vessels that supply the large and small bowels and mesentary - and what sections they supply. Can you diagram a hepatic acinus? What about the complement cascade? Coagulation cascade? Do you know all of the different cell surface proteins that are biologically important? what structures are formed from cells derived from somites? Can you look at a 2x2 table and know the sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value and negative predictive value? WHat are the different types of studies? What kinds of statistics do you use? Can you name, locate and describe vascular supply for all the nuclei in the brain stem?

If the answer is yes, then you're probably Marilyn Vos Savant. If not, it WILL pay to go back over the information again.

Star

What the h$^%????????

Does everyone in the ENTIRE world have pathology and pharmacology 2nd yr except me?? I was wondering why our first year kicked our a$$ so bad and all the 2nd yrs tell us how wonderful 2nd yr is and better than 1st yr.

We just finished pathology this spring (we had Robbin's and did inflammation, neoplasia ect)

This summer term, we have pharmacology, radiology, and human development and behavior.

I guess thats the price you pay for having PBL 2nd yr in a systems based approach.

Geez......

Mossjoh

Originally posted by Mossjoh
What the h$^%????????

Does everyone in the ENTIRE world have pathology and pharmacology 2nd yr except me?? I was wondering why our first year kicked our a$$ so bad and all the 2nd yrs tell us how wonderful 2nd yr is and better than 1st yr.

We just finished pathology this spring (we had Robbin's and did inflammation, neoplasia ect)

This summer term, we have pharmacology, radiology, and human development and behavior.

I guess thats the price you pay for having PBL 2nd yr in a systems based approach.

Geez......

Mossjoh

I'm with you MossJoh. We had a mix of stuff first year, with some path and some pharm. The good news, is that if I really wanted to, that I can look at the physiology of some of the systems I havn't learned and study that. I would HATE to be studying Path and Pharm just out of a book.

But on that note, if you want to study path, the university of Utah has a great site that everybody uses for pictures and tests to go with whatever book you choose.

What you speak of is blasphemy. :eek:

Originally posted by Mossjoh
What the h$^%????????

Mossjoh

Actually, we have a wierd curriculum too. First year, we have 3 basic classes in blocks and one systems-based class. We take

Gross Anatomy and Radiology
Molecules, Cells and Tissues (biochem, physio, genetics, histo, etc)
Pathology

Then we have Neuroscience and Human Behavior.

Second year, we have

Cardiovascular/pulmonary
GI
Renal
Endocrine
Derm, Heme, musculoskeletal
Great Syndromes (review-type thing).

Where we learn all about the organ system at once. I posted what I posted on the assumption that he had the "traditional" curriculum, though, but either way, it still makes sense.

Star

Ours is pretty traditional..but I'll break it down

1st yr fall

Medical Gross Anatomy
Medical Biochemistry
Genetics
Clinical Skills I
Integrative Clinical Correlations
Mentor Program
Cell Biology/Physiology/Histology I

1st yr Spring

IM/Epi/Biostatistics (4 wks)
Clinical Skills II
Mentor Program
Medical Immunology/Microbiology
Medical Neuroscience
Cell Biology/Physiology/Hist II (8 wks)
Basic Principles of Pathology (8 wks)

1st yr Summer

Clinical Skills III
Human Development and Behavior in Society
Mentor Program
Medical Pharmacology
Introduction to Radiology

I call this my year of hell...............just to give you an idea. This is how Michigan State breaks up first year. 2nd yr is systems and small groups in PBL

Mossjoh

If you want to study, definitely go for it. If you feel like you won't burn out and you take some time off as well. I am studying during this summer before 2nd year. Currently I'm going through the Path section in First Aid and I am referring to BRS Path and writing in additional info in the margins. After that I'm going to go through First Aid on the subjects we went over during 1st year, and supplementing with BRS. After that if I have time I will probably get around to studying some for the first couple of weeks in our cardiovascular and pulmonary class. If you don't think you will burn out, and you trust you won't, then you won't. Taking a lot of breaks is key. I finished undergrad in 2 years and went straight to medical school like a week after finishing undergrad. People said I would burn out but so far I haven't.

As above, I must start with the obligatory "have fun" during your summer off. I did nondemanding research as a CV builder, consumed way too much etoh, and read a lot (NOT medically related).

If you must study, jaeida8's First Aid approach is solid. Most people use First Aid as core "must know" material for the USMLE and expand their study from there, often marking up the margins. I would suggest reviewing thinking classes like phys using something like BRS phys with first aid for reinforcement as it will make your life much easier in pathophys. Hitting "memorize the minutae" material like micro and path may help by making the material familiar.

Even if you're relatively sane (i.e. enjoying the summer :)), I can't stress the importance of First Aid enough in board prep. In hindsight, I wish I would have bought it at the beginning of the second year and used it as an overview before studying path, micro, phys, neuroscience, etc.

Good luck, and at least try to have some fun as 2nd year can be fairly work intensive.