Studying for Biology as Non-Bio Major and Non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KevinGnapoor

Bad-Ass M.C.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm taking the January 23 MCAT and currently about to start content review for the BS section. However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to study for Biology in particular. For the PS section, I took notes (kept them a page per chapter) and found that helpful for reviewing, but I feel like taking notes for Bio would be over-kill. I took gen bio like five years ago so I would be literally writing down everything if I were to take notes. On the other hand, if I don't take notes then how would I review? If you were a non-bio major and a non-trad, how did you study for biology?
Right now I'm thinking I should just read EK and TPRH and do problems from EK 1001 and TBR. Also, I have TPRH Science Workbook that I am currently saving for December/January.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm taking the January 23 MCAT and currently about to start content review for the BS section. However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to study for Biology in particular. For the PS section, I took notes (kept them a page per chapter) and found that helpful for reviewing, but I feel like taking notes for Bio would be over-kill. I took gen bio like five years ago so I would be literally writing down everything if I were to take notes. On the other hand, if I don't take notes then how would I review? If you were a non-bio major and a non-trad, how did you study for biology?
Right now I'm thinking I should just read EK and TPRH and do problems from EK 1001 and TBR. Also, I have TPRH Science Workbook that I am currently saving for December/January.

Thanks in advance!

If you don't have a strong background in Bio, or at least not really familiar with the concepts, I suggest you avoid TBR for now. Depending on how much you have and can dedicate, I think it's best to just pick up EK Biology and read it once without taking notes or trying to memorize everything, just go through each chapter, get a sense of what they are like, and perhaps youtube each topic and watch like a 4-5 min video on it. I personally thing if you go to TBR, it would be so cumbersome do the point that you lose motivation and give up lol -- thats just my opinion

EK first.
Then TPR Bio.
Make sure you are supplementing EK Bio with other sources online. I would suggest Wikipremed for supplemental Bio. They give pretty good links that explain concepts clearly without overdoing it.