studying for family med shelf with fam med as 1st rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Am Babycakes

We are the world.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have advice for studying the fam med shelf when it's your first rotation? I hear it covers alot of the other rotations like IM, peds, ob/gyn. What books from those other rotations should I use to study for the family med shelf or should I even bother with them at all?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Im in the same boat. I'm going to try to get through fam med specific books first (Blueprints, case files, etc)... and then maybe read through the FA sections for peds/IM/obgyn. I believe it'll end up one of those "read what you can, then hope for the best" type scenarios.

I'm starting my FM rotation next week, also my first rot. i planned on doing UW Qbank, but they don't have a spfc Family section i don't think. so which sections should i do? I know Internal will prob cover most, but should i also do peds, obgyn,....?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys sure you take the family med shelf at the end of family medicine at your school? I know at my school, because the scope is so wide, all third years just take it at the end of the year so we are all equally prepared and have covered the entire breadth of subjects.

Step up to Medicine has an ambulatory medicine section that I'm told is really good for Family Medicine.

I took it towards the end of third year and found it to be actually quite easy. 2 ob questions (certainly not worth spending time reviewing OB when you haven't done the rotation yet) and 5-10 easy peds questions maybe.

I completely second reading the Ambulatory Medicine (55p.) section of Step Up To Medicine. I read it twice and also did Case Files Family Medicine (meh..not fantastic, but there are few resources).

Lots and lots of preventative medicine (covered very well by the Ambulatory section). Know your HTN cut offs, your hyperlipidemia cut offs, first line agents for each, vaccination indications (ie. pneumovax at 65, influenza for pregnancy).

I also thought the curve was quite generous.

that's some good advice guys, thanks a lot. I am planning on doing UW Qs for practice, but there is no FM section. Which sections would be highest yield for this shelf?

Yeah I do take the FM shelf at end of the rotation at my school. Thanks for all the advice. Should be very helpful.