Studying for GMAT the summer before matriculating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

protonate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I hope all is well. I'm a college senior that has been fortunate enough to get accepted to medical school this application cycle. I am matriculating in the late summer so I am going straight through. I know the general consensus is to not study during the summer before starting medical school, but I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to study for the GMAT. I am interested in MD/MBA and my school requires that students take the GMAT. I am planning on doing research next summer so I feel like this summer would be the best opportunity to study for this exam. What do you guys think? I absolutely do not want to burn out and if there is a risk, could you let me know when would be a better time?

Members don't see this ad.

The advice is usually not to PREstudy for med school classes. Other than that I think anything goes, cause in your case it'll actually be useful. I'd say prep for the GMAT, take it, but leave yourself at least 2 weeks before school starts. Plan a vacation or something ;).

Hey guys,
I hope all is well. I'm a college senior that has been fortunate enough to get accepted to medical school this application cycle. I am matriculating in the late summer so I am going straight through. I know the general consensus is to not study during the summer before starting medical school, but I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to study for the GMAT. I am interested in MD/MBA and my school requires that students take the GMAT. I am planning on doing research next summer so I feel like this summer would be the best opportunity to study for this exam. What do you guys think? I absolutely do not want to burn out and if there is a risk, could you let me know when would be a better time?

The GMAT is really easy. You need to study a week or two max.

The GMAT is really easy. You need to study a week or two max.

This. I took the GMAT summer between MS1 and MS2, studied for a week and got a very, very good score. Compared to med school the GMAT is a joke.

It is worth buying a book (I think I bought the official mba.com review books, but I can't remember) to go over geometry and trig stuff that you haven't done in 6+ years, but other than that it's super easy.