MDtoBe777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Status
:( I'm just posting cuz I need to vent. It's so hard studying for the MCAT while balancing course work. Anyone else finding it hard to devote enough time to the MCAT this semester?

Samus Aran

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2003
mushytown in rooville
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
me! but i know im not having as much of a time issue as those who are working during this time, so im thankful for that. i havent been getting much sleep though, but i figure that i better go all out now b/c i dont want to have this work be all for nothing come june when the scores come out. i DEFINITELY dont want to go through this again! :D

nishi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
MDtoBe777 said:
:( I'm just posting cuz I need to vent. It's so hard studying for the MCAT while balancing course work. Anyone else finding it hard to devote enough time to the MCAT this semester?
MDtoBe, I'm sure we all feel your pain. I'm only taking 12 credits but I'm still finding it hard to balance everything. I just keep telling myself, I rather study hard now and do well the first time so I don't have to worry about it this summer.

DaveinDallas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I didn't have the load of class work like you guys do/did....I did my studying while working as an overnight grocery stocker at Walmart during the week and cleaning office buildings on the weekend....it had been 20 years since physics and I still did the husband/father routine.....

Stay focused on what you're doing. There are gunners out there who only study for the MCAT and wind up just nailing it to the wall. I know of one.

Don't freak. 'Luck' is opportunity meeting preparation.....

DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Yeh I hear you.

I'm taking a normal load (14 hours), doing independent research, working, taking other classes (not university related) on the weekends, volunteering at the hospital, and shadowing a doctor all at the same time. It is probably stupid to do all this in the semester of the MCAT. But I didnt have much of a choice.

I have no freaking time for the MCATs. However, whatever free time I get, I figured its useless to review the material now. So in the free time, I just do practice problems. I don't care what happens in April. If it goes bad, I will just study in the summer for August MCATs.

I'm trying not to stress -- but its REALLY hard. It gets frustrating. My close friends have started to tell me that I've become extremely mean and grumpy. The lack of sleep also kills me.

Anyway -- you aren't the only one. However, I guess the best thing is the pain will be over soon, and hopefully we wont have to go through it again!

chaeymaey

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
TX
prettydoc.blogspot.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I totally hear you! I'm taking 19 hrs at three colleges, working 10-15 hrs a week as a scribe at a hospital (the 6:30 am shift), and taking TPR 9 hrs a week on weekends. I'm literally in class 7 days/wk! People with crazy shedules like us need a place to vent. I think it's smart to spend more time on passages than review because you do enough of that in class and when you go over the passages afterwards.

kash_711

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2004
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I was having the same problem, I am taking 18 hours and by the end of the day I felt exhausted and I really didn't think i could pull off studying for the MCAT. But i changed my ways, I sleep really early I get up around 4 or 5 each morning and I get so much more work done, im not distracted usually I can get 30 - 45 minutes in the gym 2 and I don't have to hear my neighbor's music :thumbup: :thumbup:

myodana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
DoctorSaab said:
I have no freaking time for the MCATs. However, whatever free time I get, I figured its useless to review the material now. So in the free time, I just do practice problems. I don't care what happens in April. If it goes bad, I will just study in the summer for August MCATs.
hey,
i wouldn't take that kind of attitude. take it once and nail it. i know it's hard with all the studying... but don't rely on the fact that you can take it again... review, study, do your practice problems, and kick butt in april. otherwise you'll kill your entire summer and stress out until OCTOBER when scores are released, you'll be behind in applications (if you're applying this year), and schools will still see the april scores anyway (so if you bomb it in april... not so great).

that said, i'm sure you'll do fine. just practice, practice, practice. i studied with a full time teaching job... use your free time (what little you have of it) and your weekends wisely. even make flash cards and carry them around (much lighter than that heavy kaplan book!) to review whenever you have a free moment...if that kind of thing works for you. good luck!

kcernak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
Status
chaeymaey said:
I totally hear you! I'm taking 19 hrs at three colleges, working 10-15 hrs a week as a scribe at a hospital (the 6:30 am shift), and taking TPR 9 hrs a week on weekends. I'm literally in class 7 days/wk! People with crazy shedules like us need a place to vent. I think it's smart to spend more time on passages than review because you do enough of that in class and when you go over the passages afterwards.
Salam Chaeymay, are you persian? I saw that your name was Maryam, so I thought maybe you were.

I am not persian but my boyfriend is, and I am *trying* to learn farsi.

chaeymaey

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
TX
prettydoc.blogspot.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
kcernak said:
Salam Chaeymay, are you persian? I saw that your name was Maryam, so I thought maybe you were.

I am not persian but my boyfriend is, and I am *trying* to learn farsi.
Salam, yes I am Persian. That's so cool that you're dating a Persian guy, you lucky lady you. I started a thread on Persian Premeds a while ago if you want to check it out. Do you live in LA? I'm in Dallas, but it seems like all the Persians on SDN live in LA.

Akshay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
California
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
kash_711 said:
I was having the same problem, I am taking 18 hours and by the end of the day I felt exhausted and I really didn't think i could pull off studying for the MCAT. But i changed my ways, I sleep really early I get up around 4 or 5 each morning and I get so much more work done, im not distracted usually I can get 30 - 45 minutes in the gym 2 and I don't have to hear my neighbor's music :thumbup: :thumbup:

very good strategy....this is what I followed because during the day I never seemed to get my MCAT work done so I devoted 5-8 in the mornings for reviwe/practice....so that even if I dont get to study during the day I have about 3 hours under my belt....good one kash!! :thumbup: