Studying for Step 1 during M1 summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HereToAdvocate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is asked a lot, but do you recommend: reviewing M1 courses, previewing M2 courses, or a little studying for Step 1?

I have plenty of fun stuff lined up, but I am considering doing a little studying too. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan Medessentials and look at the biochemistry, anatomy sections, and neuroscience sections. and if you can try to do the micro/immuno section, and hematology sections in the book.

the rest of the organ systems and their accompanying phys and path and pharm i would do as second year progresses.

but most importantly also rest up for 2nd year, as it will be the busiest year of your med school career. But buying the book, Kaplan MedEssentials and accompanying it with First Aid is what I HIGHLY recommend to students.

I know this is asked a lot, but do you recommend: reviewing M1 courses, previewing M2 courses, or a little studying for Step 1?

I have plenty of fun stuff lined up, but I am considering doing a little studying too. Any advice is appreciated!

Do Gunner Training. I know the name is kinda cheesy, but it is the best program out there for long term retention/review. I recommend it very highly. You can check out the thread here on SDN about it or just go to their website and check it out. If you want a one month free trial just PM and I can send you a code (or PM anybody posting in the GT thread if you'd prefer, it doesn't matter to me).

Kaplan Medessentials and look at the biochemistry, anatomy sections, and neuroscience sections. and if you can try to do the micro/immuno section, and hematology sections in the book.

the rest of the organ systems and their accompanying phys and path and pharm i would do as second year progresses.

but most importantly also rest up for 2nd year, as it will be the busiest year of your med school career. But buying the book, Kaplan MedEssentials and accompanying it with First Aid is what I HIGHLY recommend to students.

I'm assuming you mean the busiest year up to this point, right? Everything I've heard is that second year is a walk in the park compared to third year...

I did no studying and that's what I would recommend but no one ever listens to that advice.

If you are going to study I think it would best to only study whatever your weakest subject is. Pre-studying 2nd year stuff is a waste of time and I know if I tried to review everything from 1st year it would just be a superficial review and nothing would stick.

Pick one (or all if you're a true gunner):
Anatomy - do all the BRS questions or Michigan ones if you never did those; throw your textbook away.
Biochem - Lippincott's or Rapid Review
Microbiology - CMMRS or Micro Cards
Immunology - I didn't use it but everyone on here says Levinson's book is the best for immuno
Physiology - know everything in BRS

If your school is systems based and you haven't gotten Pathoma yet, you could watch the Pathoma videos for the stuff that you've already covered.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you are within 1 year of taking your step1 (ask current second years approximately when everyone is taking it), purchase year long access to pathoma and UWorld.

UWorld - do Biochem, Anatomy, Physiology, Biostats/Bioscience (just learn this section in FA), Embryo, and just start hammering these facts into your brain. Annotate info into first aid from Uworld if it is missing. Don't pay attention to any of your actual m1 study sources

Pathoma - this is good because it is more passive studying, just watch some videos when you have down time.

This summer: study the big concepts from M1; make sure you understand the big picture; you can cram details closer to your test date. Consider starting GunnerTraining, but realize the time commitment that is required if you want to bank 100% before your dedicated study time.

M2: Study as hard as you absolutely can. There is no making up for a weak background and this is by far the best resource you can give yourself. Also, buy FA (go ahead and get 2012 since the errata is already out; don't worry about not having 2013) and Goljan RR Path on your first day of M2. Follow along in Goljan with each system. Don't use FA to study, but instead use it to figure out what parts of each system will be stressed on the Step; this will also help you make at least 1 pass of each system in FA before your dedicated time. Goljan RR is a highly underrated text, and many of the questions in UWorld that can't be answered with FA can be answered with Goljan. I haven't seen Pathoma, but if you're on SDN asking about beginning to study for Step 1 during your summer before M2, chances are you'll want a text that goes into more detail and ties subjects together more than Pathoma (there is a thread on here that speaks more about Pathoma; it is generally considered to be more sparse than RR and doesn't cover as much).

Don't buy a year-long UWorld subscription. Save UWorld for closer to your dedicated time. It is by far the best learning tool there is. If you want a qbank during M2, use Kaplan or USMLERx.

Only advice I would give, if you have your heart set on doing SOMETHING this summer, is to do research. Have fun, first and foremost, but if you have to do something school related this is what I would recommend. It would keep your doors open better for more competitive specialties, if that is what you decide to do. Looking back on it, I regret not having done research during M1 summer, because now I want to do something more competitive and I fear there isn't as much time now. Just a thought, as I don't think studying would be of much use, you'll get what review you need during next year.

Can anyone else elaborate/comment on experiences with GT that first summer and onward?

I know there is a thread on it so maybe I'll ask there. But specifically curious about doing it M1/M2 summer.

Only advice I would give, if you have your heart set on doing SOMETHING this summer, is to do research. Have fun, first and foremost, but if you have to do something school related this is what I would recommend. It would keep your doors open better for more competitive specialties, if that is what you decide to do. Looking back on it, I regret not having done research during M1 summer, because now I want to do something more competitive and I fear there isn't as much time now. Just a thought, as I don't think studying would be of much use, you'll get what review you need during next year.

Agreed. I did research that summer and am thankful I did it. I didn't get published but I got a poster and presented my work. Better than nothing.

but most importantly also rest up for 2nd year, as it will be the busiest year of your med school career.

If by "busiest year of your med school career" you mean "least busiest year," then I agree with you.

To the OP: DO NOT STUDY FOR STEP 1 DURING MS1/MS2 summer, unless you have some sort of learning disability.

Concentrate on your MS1, MS2. Forget step1 for couple of years.

If by "busiest year of your med school career" you mean "least busiest year," then I agree with you.

To the OP: DO NOT STUDY FOR STEP 1 DURING MS1/MS2 summer, unless you have some sort of learning disability.

Completely agree. Step 1 studying over the summer is pointless. You're going to forget all of it anyway. You should be enjoying that summer (i.e. drinking, traveling, partying, etc. because you'll be kicking yourself the following June when you realize you no longer have summer vacations).

You should not start any dedicated Step 1 studying until earliest January of your second year.

I would recommend buying First Aid + Pathoma over the summer though. Use these as you go along with your classes during your second year. Make sure you learn these courses well (the majority of Step 1 questions come from second year material). Otherwise, 4-8 weeks is enough to study for boards. BELIEVE ME.

Don't study for Step 1 during the summer. Especially if you are in a traditional curriculum (first year is normal, second year is abnormal), because most of Step 1 relies heavily on a good knowledge of path. Don't start worrying about Step 1 until the January of M2 at the earliest.

Enjoy your summer, because it'll be your last one. Try to do a research gig. If you want to get ahead, get a solid book that covers some material you'll hit in M2, but don't do much more than that.

I highly disagree that it will not help. If anything, having exposure to the material is really helpful.

As I said before I highly recommend you look over immuno/microbio, and hematalogy this summer. Do not go over BRS anatomy or RR biochemistry or anything like that.

Just review the anatomy and biochemistry which is present in Kaplan medessentials and FA, and start looking at immuno/microbio in Kaplan Medessentials and FA by accompanying it with kaplan lecture notes or Micro Made Ridicolously Simple if you have not had these courses all ready. Most in their M1 year havent, so doing this plan ensures that you have reviewed M1 while preparing for M2 and the boards.

Dont worry about physiology, as you will have multiple repeated exposures to it during M2, as well as you'll have to review it in depth down the road anyways.

If you have time and money, then buy the Kaplan qbank and start practicing questions on there.

It would be best that you buy now Kaplan Medessentials and FA if you all ready havent done so. Its a very worthwhile investment, that will need to be purchased anyways end of 2nd year, so why not now.

Don't set yourself up for burnout! Pathoma or Gunner Training may be helpful in small chunks every day, but I don't recommend cranking out UWorld blocks or First Aid notes over the summer...M2 is a tough year, and you need the stamina and rest to get through it!

I highly disagree that it will not help. If anything, having exposure to the material is really helpful.

As I said before I highly recommend you look over immuno/microbio, and hematalogy this summer. Do not go over BRS anatomy or RR biochemistry or anything like that.

Just review the anatomy and biochemistry which is present in Kaplan medessentials and FA, and start looking at immuno/microbio in Kaplan Medessentials and FA by accompanying it with kaplan lecture notes or Micro Made Ridicolously Simple if you have not had these courses all ready. Most in their M1 year havent, so doing this plan ensures that you have reviewed M1 while preparing for M2 and the boards.

Dont worry about physiology, as you will have multiple repeated exposures to it during M2, as well as you'll have to review it in depth down the road anyways.

If you have time and money, then buy the Kaplan qbank and start practicing questions on there.

It would be best that you buy now Kaplan Medessentials and FA if you all ready havent done so. Its a very worthwhile investment, that will need to be purchased anyways end of 2nd year, so why not now.

I agree on Kaplan qbank if the OP must have a qbank. Don't want to waste the awesomeness of World by doing it too early. World should be done in one's dedicated study time, because it truly measures mastery and readiness for Step 1.

CMMRS is a great thing to read over the summer, especially if micro pops up in M2. Heme is also straight-forward but usually taught at light-speed so getting ahead on that would be nice. Also agree that hardcore review of biochem and anatomy beyond what FA or very slim review books have is overkill for boards purposes.