guitarguy23

7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Did anyone who took Step 1 study for it throughout the spring semester? Was it helpful? What is a good plan for studying from January until the test while also doing well in class? Does anyone else plan on doing this?

I would like to start from week 1 and maybe use the Tau method with the goal of making my first pass by spring break (early March).

Does anyone have any feedback on this or the idea of studying all semester? Ideally, I want to do well in both classes and rock Step 1 and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips/strategies that worked for them or that you plan to use if your going for a ~5 month study plan. Thank you and good luck!

Renaissance Man

Saving the World
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2010
East Coast
Status
Attending Physician
There is literally an entire sub-forum devoted to Step 1, where answers like this have been answered (numerous times). Both this question and the 240 to 250 one would be better posted there, or not posted at all after you did a search.

Dec 11, 2011
Status
Medical Student
There is literally an entire sub-forum devoted to Step 1, where answers like this have been answered (numerous times). Both this question and the 240 to 250 one would be better posted there, or not posted at all after you did a search.
Maybe he wants his question addressed by SDN's general audience. If you don't have anything to say then just ignore it.

MSTPlease

7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Did anyone who took Step 1 study for it throughout the spring semester? Was it helpful? What is a good plan for studying from January until the test while also doing well in class? Does anyone else plan on doing this?

I would like to start from week 1 and maybe use the Tau method with the goal of making my first pass by spring break (early March).

Does anyone have any feedback on this or the idea of studying all semester? Ideally, I want to do well in both classes and rock Step 1 and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips/strategies that worked for them or that you plan to use if your going for a ~5 month study plan. Thank you and good luck!
I don't recommend dedicated step 1 studying that early. What you can do though is use Step 1 materials to study for your classes e.g. buy a q bank and do the GI questions during GI, do the cardio during cardio etc.

And of course everyone will want to know my score when evaluating whether I am worth listening to: 245-250 range.

Renaissance Man

Saving the World
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2010
East Coast
Status
Attending Physician
Maybe he wants his question addressed by SDN's general audience. If you don't have anything to say then just ignore it.
Well I did have something to say, champ! The search function, and Step 1 forum has literally thousands of answers, so directing him to it is far better than your reply which served absolutely zero function.

Dec 11, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Well I did have something to say, champ! The search function, and Step 1 forum has literally thousands of answers, so directing him to it is far better than your reply which served absolutely zero function.
LOL. That's not how you responded originally. You didn't constructively or helpfully direct him anywhere, you barked at him for posting in the general audience section.

Hey guitarguy23, when I was researching step 1 study techniques I found the step 1 forums really helpful. There are a bunch of good discussion topics and people that shared their success stories and what they did right/wrong.

username456789

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I used a slightly modified Taus method starting in January of M2. Scored just under 260.

(And just so you don't think I was shirking my class work, I maintained all Honors in class while doing so)

OP
G

guitarguy23

7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I used a slightly modified Taus method starting in January of M2. Scored just under 260.

(And just so you don't think I was shirking my class work, I maintained all Honors in class while doing so)
What was your priority, class material or the relevant step 1 material first? In other words, did you start reviewing the M1 subjects and Tau method things first thing or follow the systems you were working through in class?

username456789

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
What was your priority, class material or the relevant step 1 material first? In other words, did you start reviewing the M1 subjects and Tau method things first thing or follow the systems you were working through in class?
Moreso the latter. Class got top priority, with the realization that LEARNING the material would pay off the most in the end (on Step I and also in life). I would do class stuff, then review the correlating pages/chapters in Rapid Review Path (Pathoma didn't exist back then, but RR Path is great) and First Aid, and do Kaplan questions on those topics as well. Also I was starting to review the old stuff from M1.

Basically, still focused on class and didn't deviate much - if at all - from my study habits from the first year and first half of second year. I just ramped things up and tried to be more efficient with my time so I could fit in extra study sessions with the M1 stuff or earlier M2 stuff (or "board-oriented" studying related to what was coming up on an in-class test).

It was a busy time, that's for sure. But definitely worth it for me in the end.

alpinism

Give Em' the Jet Fuel
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2011
Detroit
Class should always be your top priority. Focus on lecture material then spend a few hrs at the end of each week on Qbanks/pathoma/goljan etc…
If you're trying for 240+ start going over step 1 material in Jan.

sazerac

rye sense of humor
5+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2012
Status
Medical Student
LOL. That's not how you responded originally. You didn't constructively or helpfully direct him anywhere, you barked at him for posting in the general audience section.

Hey guitarguy23, when I was researching step 1 study techniques I found the step 1 forums really helpful. There are a bunch of good discussion topics and people that shared their success stories and what they did right/wrong.
Are you looking at the same step1 forum on SDN as I am? I find that forum to be the antithesis of good discussion. On my computer all I see is several irrelevant and misleading FAQs from 2008, plus a single superthread linear discussion with thousands and thousands of posts in it.

If you combined every single thread in allo, including the social threads, the informative threads, the joke threads, and the politics threads into one gigantic thread, that would be the step1 forum. It's not very friendly to people looking for step1 strategies, like how to study for it during M2 spring semester.

Renaissance Man

Saving the World
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2010
East Coast
Status
Attending Physician
Are you looking at the same step1 forum on SDN as I am? I find that forum to be the antithesis of good discussion. On my computer all I see is several irrelevant and misleading FAQs from 2008, plus a single superthread linear discussion with thousands and thousands of posts in it.

If you combined every single thread in allo, including the social threads, the informative threads, the joke threads, and the politics threads into one gigantic thread, that would be the step1 forum. It's not very friendly to people looking for step1 strategies, like how to study for it during M2 spring semester.
I find the "2013 Official Step 1" thread to be extremely helpful. Seeing how others studied for it (yes even during the secret spring semester of M2!) is pretty great. You have to wade through junk just like in any forum on this site. I still stand by first searching, and then asking questions in the dedicated sub-forum.

Dec 11, 2011
Status
Medical Student

Yeah, i guess i'd just review relevant text, go over notes, buy a copy of first aid 2013, and invest in a good q bank. thats what im doing.