Studying for Step 2 Summer of 2nd Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roy7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to take step 1, and I'm of course pannicking that I wont do well. So, I'm starting to think 'bout what early prep I could do for step 2.

My main problem I felt w/step 1 was that I didnt review what I learned first year (biochem, anatomy, physio, immuno) the summer for first year.

So that being said, what's a good way to start preparing/reviewing for Step 2 at this stage in the game.

And I know everyones going to tell me to "relax, go have fun etc". I'll take care of that - I promise. But I can definitely spare a minimum of 4 hrs a day to just study - after 2 years of med school life w/0 studying'd be too strange for me to handle. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to take step 1, and I'm of course pannicking that I wont do well. So, I'm starting to think 'bout what early prep I could do for step 2.

My main problem I felt w/step 1 was that I didnt review what I learned first year (biochem, anatomy, physio, immuno) the summer for first year.

So that being said, what's a good way to start preparing/reviewing for Step 2 at this stage in the game.

And I know everyones going to tell me to "relax, go have fun etc". I'll take care of that - I promise. But I can definitely spare a minimum of 4 hrs a day to just study - after 2 years of med school life w/0 studying'd be too strange for me to handle. Thanks in advance.

do question books such as A&L, pretest, etc during your rotations and read relevant material on your weak areas in textbooks like Cecil's essentials; great concise book even though it's around a 1000 pages. step-up to medicine is a great book for IM; it's 500 pages of concise BUT dense material.

also do USMLE world (do this at the expense of other question books) and get however long a subscription you want. i had a 30 day subscription but you might want a longer one to gauge your progress/knowledge.

if you do this 4 hrs/day, i see no reason why you wouldn't own the exam.

Good luck!

Hey Roy, I'm kind of doing the same thing at the moment...I've had this year off to do a research fellowship so I've been lightly studying for Step 2 a good year and a half in advance :laugh: This is what I've done in the last 6 months:

1. (3 months) Started with Crush the Boards (a good general overview of step 2 material), and concurrently did NMS Version 2 questions on CD-ROM

2. (1.5 months) Studied Blueprints OB/GYN (my worst subject)

3. (1.5 months) Going over Crush again, doing NMS questions again

Then in July when I start 3rd year, I plan on doing:

1. Blueprints for Peds during Peds rotations

2. MKSAP 3 questions for my IM months along with Step-up to Medicine

3. Kaplan Surgery notes for Surgery rotations (hear this is very good), and blueprints OB/GYN again for that rotation

4. All other months will be doing USMLE World questions/going over Crush the Boards/listening to Goljan step 2 lectures. Plan on taking the exam early July 2008.

I know this plan seems a little psycho/overkill, but I wanna do much better than my Step 1 score. Hope some of this is helpful.

So there arent any other review books for individual subjects like in step 1?

I'd be good just doing questions and reading first aid for step 2?