Studying for the DAT in a short period of time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackM255

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I am currently in the process of studying for the DAT. To preface my question, I have taken the DAT before and studied roughly 3 months in advance. Unfortunately I did not get the score I was hoping for and was below the average admitted score. I am curious if it is "acceptable" or okay to study for a month and then retake it? I am planning to take the test at the end of August or first week of September, I haven't decided on a date yet. I have experience studying and have been spending a few hours here and there refreshing on certain materials over the last few months. My plan was to study hard (appx. 4 hours a day) for this month and then take it at the end. I know materials to focus on (O.Chem) and will also stay on track with the other materials.

Is it okay to study a month in advance or should I push my test date back more? Just don't want it to affect my interview or admittance chances.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a tough question to answer on the internet. Only you know you. If you are doing well on the practice tests and feel comfortable with the material then you should be okay. My honest opinion would be that if you are scoring well on Bootcamp or using destroyer and doing well then I feel you are ready. IF you are still scoring around what you scored the first time then definitely push it back. Also, make sure to do the 2007/2009 DAT to see where you are at.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with carnegie but since it's a retake, be wary of the scores you get on BC (like you may have subconsciously remembered some questions) because they might be inflated now. Also, I think you should schedule a date asap because there may not be dates for the end of August/beginning of Sept the longer you wait. Also (pt 2), this is getting pretty late because your app won't be fully complete until mid/end of Sept, and then it'll be sent to be reviewed, and at that time, most/all of the pre-Dec interviews will have been booked so you would be interviewing post-Dec, for either very few seats or waitlist spots. To offset this lateness, I think you'd need a 23+ for a chance this cycle, otherwise you may have to reapply next cycle as soon as it opens.

You can read this post/thread as someone last cycle took it Aug 22nd, got a few interviews, but only 1 acceptance. DAT in August?

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you & let me know if you have any questions on anything I said!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you using a DAT prep course, or studying on your own? If you have a subscription to a test prep course, I suggest using that month to do one or two practice tests every week until your test date. Between your tests, you should review notes and equations that you have.

If you're studying on your own, it might be hard to review everything in one month. You probably don't have access to practice tests, and structured notes/lesson plans.

I agree with carnegie but since it's a retake, be wary of the scores you get on BC (like you may have subconsciously remembered some questions) because they might be inflated now. Also, I think you should schedule a date asap because there may not be dates for the end of August/beginning of Sept the longer you wait. Also (pt 2), this is getting pretty late because your app won't be fully complete until mid/end of Sept, and then it'll be sent to be reviewed, and at that time, most/all of the pre-Dec interviews will have been booked so you would be interviewing post-Dec, for either very few seats or waitlist spots. To offset this lateness, I think you'd need a 23+ for a chance this cycle, otherwise you may have to reapply next cycle as soon as it opens.

You can read this post/thread as someone last cycle took it Aug 22nd, got a few interviews, but only 1 acceptance. DAT in August?

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you & let me know if you have any questions on anything I said!
Wow that worries me because I am taking the DAT in August. My app is verified and one is sent in however I am also retaking on the 23rd so will send the rest in a day after hoping DAT goes well. Do 90% of people submit their applications before August? I would assume some people submit in Late August or September? And do schools choose most their seats in December? Or do they also reserve a lot for post-December interviews? Also if I apply to many many schools will that increase my chances as I am applying in August.

Wow that worries me because I am taking the DAT in August. My app is verified and one is sent in however I am also retaking on the 23rd so will send the rest in a day after hoping DAT goes well. Do 90% of people submit their applications before August? I would assume some people submit in Late August or September? And do schools choose most their seats in December? Or do they also reserve a lot for post-December interviews? Also if I apply to many many schools will that increase my chances as I am applying in August.
I wouldn't know the exact percentage but I'd say the majority do submit their apps before August, especially more so this cycle because it technically opened on May 15th. Some submit in late August/Sept, but not too many because the goal is to score as many pre-Dec interviews as you can.

I submitted at the end of August last cycle but I scored high on the DAT which helped me offset that lateness allowing me to get 8 interviews. The person I mentioned scored like a 22, got a couple of interviews but only 1 acceptance.

It depends on the school on how they fill their class, but I'd say most schools fill at least half of their class on Dec 1st. After Dec 1st, seats get fewer by the day and getting an acceptance becomes even more competitive.

Since your app is already verified, focus on acing the DAT and scoring as high as you possibly can. It's really hard to predict how the cycle will go for you, but right now the only thing that can help is your score. Score high enough (22-23+) so that it'll help offset your lateness this cycle, and will also help you apply early next cycle in June, should you have to. As for schools, I think the golden max number is like 15. More than that and it just becomes a waste of money (if you can't get into 15, chances are you won't get into 20+ either, so use that money towards improving aspects of your app instead). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't know the exact percentage but I'd say the majority do submit their apps before August, especially more so this cycle because it technically opened on May 15th. Some submit in late August/Sept, but not too many because the goal is to score as many pre-Dec interviews as you can.

I submitted at the end of August last cycle but I scored high on the DAT which helped me offset that lateness allowing me to get 8 interviews. The person I mentioned scored like a 22, got a couple of interviews but only 1 acceptance.

It depends on the school on how they fill their class, but I'd say most schools fill at least half of their class on Dec 1st. After Dec 1st, seats get fewer by the day and getting an acceptance becomes even more competitive.

Since your app is already verified, focus on acing the DAT and scoring as high as you possibly can. It's really hard to predict how the cycle will go for you, but right now the only thing that can help is your score. Score high enough (22-23+) so that it'll help offset your lateness this cycle, and will also help you apply early next cycle in June, should you have to. As for schools, I think the golden max number is like 15. More than that and it just becomes a waste of money (if you can't get into 15, chances are you won't get into 20+ either, so use that money towards improving aspects of your app instead). Good luck!

Yeah my GPA isn't high either as its very average (3.5) So I am rather worried but yes I will aim to get a 20+ on the DAT. I was supposed to take the exam in July however wasn't as prepared so I extended it to August. I am also taking another class so I had to accommodate for the class exams as well :\ Thank you!

I studied for the DAT in about 5 and 1/2 weeks. 4 weeks might be a stretch, but may be possible since you've already reviewed all the material. Maybe if you could do 2 weeks of review, 1 week of Destroyer/Bootcamp subject tests, and the last week just full-lengths. You have to make sure you can allocate all your time and effort into those 4 weeks. This differs among individuals, figure out how much studying you can do without pushing yourself past the limit.