Studying for the MCAT (2nd time)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studliness

half man, half amazing
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I didn't do as well as I'd hoped on the MCAT in July (scored 25, 7PS/7V/11B) so I'll be retaking again in January. The score was very uncharacteristic of my practice exams (both Kaplan and AAMC), on which the lowest I'd scored was a 30 (was scoring 32 on average, 30-36).

Regardless, I will soon be preparing to take the test again. However, I'd like to try some different test-prep materials (e.g. EK) from Kaplan.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

walk in with confidence next time you take the test. if you can knock down cbts with an average of 32, there's no reason you can't do it on the real thing.

stick to AAMC CBTs to practice

why do you think you dropped so much in the other two sections? was PS more concept based? did verbal feel like a killer passage every time? did you actually feel like you got a 7 on it?

for other test material, everyone says to use EK verbal 101 passages
they're pretty tough. i liked TPR's material ( i've taken kaplan and TPR ) because its difficult (VR specifically) and it resembles the test more IMO (not overly hard calculations for PS). then again i took kaplan for the paper exam so i'm a little bias too plus my experience is probably outdated.

Well, I'd really like to review the PS and VR sections specifically.

If you're looking to improve/study from a different angle other than Kaplan, then for the PS section, I'd recommend ordering Nova Physics, EK Physics, and EK Chem. You can get all 3 relatively cheap on ebay (you dont need the 7th edition of EK, its essentially the same as the 5th and 6th ed. which are much cheaper). Nova physics has lots of good practice problems and explanations, and EK has good conceptual info. As for verbal, if you haven't done so already, using EK verbal 1001 with the EK strategy is great, imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess my biggest debate is whether it would be better to study with the "EK Complete Study Package" or simply do tons of practice problems via the 1001 EK books.

I already took a Kaplan class and feel as though I know the content fairly well. However, I haven't touched any MCAT prep stuff since June and will be studying for the January MCAT.

What do you guys think? Should I purchase the EK Complete Study Package (w/ mini-MCATs) or tons of practice problems with the 1001 EK books?

One thing is for certain, I definitely want to give another prep company a shot outside of Kaplan and EK seems to get a lot of acclaim around SDN.

i would just do the problems if i were you

if you want to try another course, i'd recommend EK (since you don't really need content). i did kaplan first, then TPR, but i really needed the TPR content and benefited a lot from it (gchem/ochem especially).

if you already know the material really well, TPR classes will be a waste of time.

I took the MCAT twice - 31P and 38Q. The one key difference was that for my 2nd test, I prepared myself for the often-forgotten aspects of the test (ie. being psychologically ready to deal with the stress) starting a couple of weeks before the actual test date.

It was simply taking a few minutes a day to imagine the stress of the actual test, to think about the mindset I need to have in order to optimize my performance, thinking about possible mishaps that I may have and how to respond to them, and the problem solving steps and thinking process for each section.

If you were consistently scoring 30+ in the prep tests, you probably have all the intellectual knowledge to score well. However, the actual test will always be different from the prep test because you know it actually matters. I think the suggestions from the other members are great, but try my suggestion if you have a couple of minutes to spare during your long day of studying.

Best of luck!

Hi, JDub.

I will be taking it for the first time in Januray. Why did you feel that you were not prepared the first time you took it? What advice do you have for me?

Hi, JDub.

I will be taking it for the first time in Januray. Why did you feel that you were not prepared the first time you took it? What advice do you have for me?

The test I took was alot harder and I was not prepared for that kind of test.

I never scored below a 30 and got confident. I thought AAMC practice tests were easy. Just be prepared for the passages to be harder, passage based with little outside knowledge, and even the discretes were hard. There were no give me points like the AAMC practices. I still do not know how I did that bad in verbal. I guess I broke under the pressure. Next time, I am telling no one about taking it nor when.

I thought I had enough cushion with my practice scores and was not in attack mode. Now, that I have seen a real MCAT, I know what to expect from the level of difficulty and not waste my time on simple passages and memorizing formulas. Plus, I am not a MCAT virgin anymore and have experience. And we all know that experience is very important!

I'm still trying to decide on my study plan this second time around. The only book I've ordered so far is NOVA Physics (heard it was great for PS review).

I'm debating purchasing the EK Complete Study Package vs. studying with my Kaplan review books again.

Also, I'd like to get EK 1001 for Biology and Chemistry, as well as EK 101 Verbal.

I don't want to have an overkill amount of materials, so it's either my Kaplan materials for content review, supplemented with the EK 1001/101 books OR EK Complete Study Package for content review supplemented with the EK 1001/101 books.

This is considering that I can commit to studying ~10 hours a week.

What do your thoughts guys?

I'm still trying to decide on my study plan this second time around. The only book I've ordered so far is NOVA Physics (heard it was great for PS review).

I'm debating purchasing the EK Complete Study Package vs. studying with my Kaplan review books again.

Also, I'd like to get EK 1001 for Biology and Chemistry, as well as EK 101 Verbal.

I don't want to have an overkill amount of materials, so it's either my Kaplan materials for content review, supplemented with the EK 1001/101 books OR EK Complete Study Package for content review supplemented with the EK 1001/101 books.

This is considering that I can commit to studying ~10 hours a week.

What do your thoughts guys?

Thoughts:

Skip the EK 1001 Physics and EK 1001 Chem. In my opinion, the questions focused on minutiae not tested on the mcat. I did about two chapters in each series before I realized completing the problems was not going to help raise my score. However, the EK 1001 Bio and EK 1001 Verbal are money; they both feel like passages/questions asked on the real deal and are worth completing.

As for what review material to use, that's your call. You said yourself you studied from Kaplan, so you know what their material is like. I studied from Kaplan and EK, and from my experience Kaplan gives a good overall in depth review whereas EK is very concise and focuses on conceptual understanding of topics. I personally felt like I needed both; EK was too light on certain topics for my taste and Kaplan was too bogged down with details to tie things together the way EK does.

In any event, if you're worried about time constraints and not being able to complete both EK and Kaplan, know that EK's books are very quick reads. Literally, I read EK's whole series three times in a little over a month. It's not that I'm a speed reader or had tons of time on my hands, just that EK's books are very concise, easy reads, and contain lots of pictures. Thus, I see no reason why someone wouldn't be able to review both Kaplan and EK simultaneously if they wanted to. Also, if price is a concern, I just looked on ebay and I'm seeing the very same EK books I used to study (the 5th edition) for this August's mcat on sale for 5$ a book (orgo, bio, physics, chem = 20$ for the whole 5th edition series, which has the same content that EK's 7th edition has).

In summary, what worked best for me might not be best for you. You should go to a library and check out an EK book, or if your library doesn't have an edition, perhaps purchase just one of EK's books to see if you like their style. If you find that you like it, and you've already tried Kaplan's books and things didn't go well for you, then why not switch it up and go the EK route using your old Kaplan books as a supplement? Good luck with your choice and studies. :thumbup: