Studying for the MCAT in 1 month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sewcurious

I'm not obsessed...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore and will be done with all my pre-med requirements at the end of this year. I took an ExamKrackers MCAT class this semester but haven't been able to devote much time to it for the past 1.5 months. I get home on May 7th and am planning on taking the MCAT on June 13th. I will be volunteering 25 hrs/ week but other than that I plan to devote my time exclusively to studying. I'm really freaked out, any opinions would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't taken any practice tests, the answer really should be no.

i studied for the MCAT in 3 weeks, while working 10 hours and taking a full load of courses. Not sure how I did yet but I'm thinking somewhere between 33 and 38

Members don't see this ad :)
I would advise against it. No matter how much effort you put in or stories you hear, do you really want to risk having to do it all over again? Wait until you're absolutely certain.

It's certainly possible, I think, to be prepared enough to do relatively well on the test if you study for a month. I studied for about five weeks, while working full-time, and made the exact score I was shooting for. I think that optimally, I would like to have studied for more like 8 weeks, in order to maximize my score, but I had time constraints.

I think it's kind of hard, though, for others to tell you how much time you need. People study at different paces, and people also start out with different levels of knowledge of the material tested. I, for example, felt that I did not even need to study biology (microbio major), and I felt like I just needed a good brush-up in orgo, but I felt completely lost in physics and I needed to devote significant time to gen chem as well. I know that others are much stronger in physical sciences, while others have only taken their pre-reqs within a year or so of taking the MCAT, and need much less review. It all depends on what kind of score you're shooting for, and where you're at when you start studying.

I would recommend devoting a significant amount of time the last couple of weeks before you take the test to taking full-length, computerized practice tests. If you are consistently making a score that you are satisfied with, take the test. If you're not, however, you should definitely wait.

I studied for about a month and I would strongly advise against it. That decision goes down as probably the worst of my years in undergrad.

Different strokes for different folks!!

Only you know where you are and how quick you can get there.

If you do go for it, make sure to take practice tests to gauge your progress and abort if you do not get there whereever there may be.

Knowledge and practice are the keys.

PS has more knowledge based info. Verbal is verbal. BS is more from the passage and general knowledge is fine. More like verbal.

:luck:

Worked for me...went to meal-plan on campus for breakfast and stayed till dinner, studying and periodically eating...Worst. Month. Evaaaaaar.