Studying for the MCAT while working as a Peace Corps Volunteer for 2 years.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guri1121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be abroad for two years working as a Peace Corps Volunteer.
I am planning on studying for the MCAT there. I know that I won't be able to devote all my time and give everything for studying. But I think it'll still be a great chance to use the time.

But, there is a weight limit on your packs for PC. And you know that those MCAT books are insanely big and heavy. Can anyone give me any tips on how to use the electronic version books and bring practice tests over with me?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I will be abroad for two years working as a Peace Corps Volunteer.
I am planning on studying for the MCAT there. I know that I won't be able to devote all my time and give everything for studying. But I think it'll still be a great chance to use the time.

But, there is a weight limit on your packs for PC. And you know that those MCAT books are insanely big and heavy. Can anyone give me any tips on how to use the electronic version books and bring practice tests over with me?

Thanks

the best practice tests are the AAMC ones. they will give you an experience closest to the real thing and the scores correlate better with actual test scores. mine came with my princeton review class, but I believe you can purchase the tests directly from the AAMC and have access to them online. will you have reliable internet access while in the peace corps? the examkracker's books are the most condensed (and therefore the lighest) but they are still quite large for traveling and I don't recommend them unless you've already got a pretty good grasp on a subject. although, if you have access to the internet, the EK books will at least present a guide to the knowledge needed. ===> you can look something up if the explanations aren't thorough enough.

with all of this being said, I believe the aamc is going to revamp the mcat in 2015. will the test be similar? most likely to some degree, but who knows. if you plan on using current study material, you should try to take the test before 2015. I've heard that they work you pretty hard in the peace corps so you might be a little tired.

at the very least, save a copy of these pdfs and make sure you understand those topics. two years is a long time to study for the mcat. I spent two months solid studying and I ended up getting a total score in the 91-95 percentile.

There's no point. Do NOT start taking practice tests so far away from your test date. That is a complete waste of resources and there aren't many sources of good practice tests. You should hold off on studying until you get back. When you do finish your commission, buckle down for three months with some good materials.

In the mean time, make the best out of your PC experience and focus all of your energy towards that. It will most likely help you out in the long run far more than doing some superficial studying or wasting good practice material.