studying for the OAT

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by JHawk623, Jan 4, 2002.

1. JHawk623

JHawk623 Junior Member

just curious how long most people study for the OAT? Also, the practice tests I've looked at aren't too difficult. How do the practice tests compare to the real thing?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    I thought the practice tests were WAY easier than the real OAT. (especially the one the OAT board sends to you when you register.. i scored a 380 when I took that one and that was no where near my actual OAT score) So, take the practice tests with a grain of salt. I studied every weekend for a few months and then every day for awhile the six weeks before the test. Good luck!

4. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I used MCAT prep books to study. It worked VERY well for me. I had one OAT prep book but it was only marginally helpful as compared with the MCAT books.

5. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member

I took tho oat 4 years ago, although I became a dental student. I only studied for organic because I had not had it for 2 years and a little bit of optics because I had heard it might be on.

I think I got a 380 in organic, 360 in physcics, and around 350 in the other sections. I remember not finishing the quantitative reasoning and having to guess on 7 in a row ( I think I put all the same letter so I would get at least some right)