Studying for USMLE I during MS 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstu2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too early to start studying for USMLE I during MS1. Currently, I have Biochem and Cell bio. classes for first 8 weeks. Should I buy some USMLE study guides for these subjects as well and start studying the textbook and the guides at the same time?

Members don't see this ad.

The review books aren't going to have very much content that's not in your textbook, so using them in addition is kind of pointless. I suppose you could follow along with the review books to gain familiarity with them, but your priority during MS1 is just to learn the material as well as possible the first time. If you do this it will come back to you easily when you need it again.

Dont agree with above posts, make First Aid your best friend year 1 AND 2 and your life will be SO much easier, also FA is enough for most NBME shelf exams if your school uses them, from my experience, especially PHARM and PATH. Also using Kaplan/Qbook/Pretests along for shelf exams VERY helpful. I spent summer after year 1 getting my year 1 classes up to speed with FA again and I can't recommend this more. For me knowing FA by heart was KEY for Step 1 and if you already have the familiarity with it, your Step 1 studying will be < 1 month for sure. Keep in mind every single person here has a different strategy that worked for them so now 50 OCDs will probably counter post me with their own shizznet. Peace-out!

Members don't see this ad :)
medstu2006 said:
Is it too early to start studying for USMLE I during MS1. Currently, I have Biochem and Cell bio. classes for first 8 weeks. Should I buy some USMLE study guides for these subjects as well and start studying the textbook and the guides at the same time?
are you kidding me? if you are this stressed out now...you will never survive med school. heart attack here you come

josephf1 said:
FA is enough for most NBME shelf exams if your school uses them, from my experience, especially PHARM and PATH. Peace-out!

wow, this is a bold statement. i bet you're in the minority in stating that FA is all you need for the path shelf.

nasdr said:
wow, this is a bold statement. i bet you're in the minority in stating that FA is all you need for the path shelf.
esp since he hasnt gotten his Step 1 score back yet. How bout having something to back up his advice before giving it! :confused:

nasdr said:
see post #560 in the official results thread. but yeah, i guess there isnt an official score on there....

Thanks, good score exmike, your advice has been validated!

medstu2006 said:

Did well on my boards, two digits score of 99 and didnt start studying till after spring break 2nd year. IT WAS MORE THAN ENOUGH. Do not make your life miserable by prepping from day 1. I agree with above poster that FA can be helpful, but dont over do it. If you want read first aid for whatever module you are covering. I wouldnt take notes tho, bc trust me, you will be taking PLENTY of notes in that book come spring of your second year.

I have used BRS phys and path and first aid as a review for each of my block exams. I don't depend on the completely, but I like to go through the relevant material in each while studying to see what is important for the boards. Also, our professors suggested that we do this to keep track of the key points. I wouldn't kill yourself doing this, but seeing it multiple times works for me.