Studying from old MKSAP during upcoming intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apotheosis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This may be a silly question. I recently inherited a free copy of MKSAP 17 and was debating whether it would be beneficial to study from during intern year or not. I'll be starting intern year later this year and would like to use MKSAP for some routine light reading throughout the year when time allows. Would it be detrimental to use the free copy of MKSAP 17 during this time or should I just sell it and buy the most current edition?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

This may be a silly question. I recently inherited a free copy of MKSAP 17 and was debating whether it would be beneficial to study from during intern year or not. I'll be starting intern year later this year and would like to use MKSAP for some routine light reading throughout the year when time allows. Would it be detrimental to use the free copy of MKSAP 17 during this time or should I just sell it and buy the most current edition?
That should be fine and then when you are 3rd year you can get the newest one to study for boards.

Reactions: 1 user
Just be sure to NOT study until residency starts. Now is the time to enjoy life, because you won’t get much opportunities for at least 3 years.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll very likely get free MKSAP 18 from your program.

Study for step 3/level 3 so you can take it ASAP.

Reactions: 1 users
MKSAP comes out every 3 years and MKSAP 18 part A came out in Summer 2018 with part B coming 6 mo later. That means MKSAP 19 should come out during your PGY2 year - plenty of time to start studying for the boards then.

Would be reasonable to browse some questions in MKSAP 17 during the course of intern year if you already have it available.

I had a copy of an old MKSAP when I started residency. Was a decent reference tool but whatever sections I read as an intern pretty much were forgotten by the time I was in my second half of residency. I honestly think MKSAP is useless unless you're at least half-way through when you can put it into context and what you read actually registers and sticks. I felt that Step 3 Uworld and uptodate were great for intern year building that foundation. What I did and what I recommend is intern year: Uptodate, Uworld step 3. 2nd year: read guidelines, searching pubmed for papers, and uptodate. 3rd year: mksap, guidelines, and pubmed. But everyone is different and has their own preferences.

Almost every program gives mksap to their oncoming interns so it shouldn't be that big of a deal but I wouldn't bother studying until residency starts

Almost every program gives mksap to their oncoming interns so it shouldn't be that big of a deal but I wouldn't bother studying until residency starts
This must be something new, because almost no program I recall interviewing at mentioned that. And my program certainly didn't.

My program reimbursed us ~$500 educational money a year though - so most of us spent that towards step 1 as PGY1 and towards MKSAP as PGY2s iirc.

Hey all,

If you are semi-adept at clinical medicine and doesn't completely suck at standardized tests, MKSAP 17 is likely enough for the boards and you won't need the newest version to begin with. Programs rarely offer MKSAP for their residents, although most programs will have review/study sessions with MKSAP questions during conference (maybe once a month), so you will have exposure to questions during your intern year. Focus on being a good intern/resident first and leave the actual studying to mid-year PGY2 and beyond, as you'll have more free time towards the latter part of your residency.

This must be something new, because almost no program I recall interviewing at mentioned that. And my program certainly didn't.

My program reimbursed us ~$500 educational money a year though - so most of us spent that towards step 1 as PGY1 and towards MKSAP as PGY2s iirc.
Same here...