Studying Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainSSO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not doing so great right now. We got tests soon and I'm honestly not sure how I'm going to do.

In undergrad, I studied by reading textbooks. I usually had to only slowly read through the book one time, and then skim it before a test. This method never failed me, because I learn a lot better through understanding the overall concept (textbooks) than learning what seem to be separate pieces of information (notes).

I feel like I don't get very much out of going to class, so if I wanted to read textbooks now, I would have to completely drop classes, and just read textboks (I wouldn't have time for notes anymore either).

So, does anyone have any study advice for people who prefer to read textbooks? I actually thought reading the syllabus would be alright, but I don't seem to be retaining as much information as I thought I would.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, you'll probably be tested over the notes. You should only go to textbooks/internet for concepts you don't understand in the notes. If you aren't getting anything out of class, don't go anymore.

You gotta just sit your butt in a chair and crank through the notes.

I'm not doing so great right now. We got tests soon and I'm honestly not sure how I'm going to do.

In undergrad, I studied by reading textbooks. I usually had to only slowly read through the book one time, and then skim it before a test. This method never failed me, because I learn a lot better through understanding the overall concept (textbooks) than learning what seem to be separate pieces of information (notes).

I feel like I don't get very much out of going to class, so if I wanted to read textbooks now, I would have to completely drop classes, and just read textboks (I wouldn't have time for notes anymore either).

So, does anyone have any study advice for people who prefer to read textbooks? I actually thought reading the syllabus would be alright, but I don't seem to be retaining as much information as I thought I would.

First, that "I'm not sure how I'm going to do" feeling? Yeah, that's pretty much a staple. I've yet to feel confident going into any test thus far (we've had three).

I understand your strategy of getting general concepts and then memorizing details because I try to do the same thing. What I would do is use your lecture notes to see what the important concepts are and ONLY read the pertinent information in the textbook. Our professors are nice enough to include the page numbers in the textbook that are being covered in that lecture so it makes it easy, but it shouldn't be difficult to do yourself. Doing this, you'll read only the necessary information, but you can read more or less depending upon your level of understanding.

Only reading the text is a waste of time since you'll probably spend time reading things that the professor doesn't even care about. Use the notes as a guide for what you need to know (maybe even spend some time figuring out what page numbers the notes refer to), then go back to the book and do your reading. Once you feel comfortable with the general concepts, go back to the notes and memorize the random crap your professor wants you to know.

This seems to work reasonably well for me, though admittedly I'm not doing as well as many of my classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you like reading textbooks, you need class notes to decide which parts of the text is trivia and which part is important. Most textbooks are too long.

And this whole nonsense of reading a book then quickly reviewing... knock that off. Repetition, repetition, repetition.