Studying in an International Medical School in Europe vs US Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Donatus10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior at a US high school. I am debating whether attending UT Austin or UT San Antonio or enrolling in Charles University 2nd Faculty of Medicine. I am a US citizen but lived most of my life abroad because of my parents work, so I am not considered a Texan resident and pay out-of-state tuition, despite this I am still eligible for some financial aid. Although I think coming back to the US to practice and a residency is an option, I do not think of it as a must I would not mind staying in the EU. Are the benefits from studying in an American medical school worth they two extra years of time and tuition that I would have to pay?
Pros of Staying in Texas:
-Prestigious medical schools such as UT Southwestern and Baylor.
-Massive health care sectors such as Houston.
-Great salaries post training.
-More likely to land a residency in the US.
Cons:
-Expensive.
-It takes a bit longer to become to become an MD.
Pros of Charles University 2nd Medical Faculty
-Affordable
-According to their web page since I have met their test requirements I am "already admitted."
-Great emphasis on clinical training and approved by CA Medical Board
Cons
-I am not an EU citizen
-Language (Somewhat, only basic Czech is required to communicate with patients)
-Harder to get into a US residency
I would really appreciate everyone's input as it will help me make a decision

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the money, America it is

If you have the money, America it is
Im Canadian. I'm currently studying in Italy in an English program its great. It's less expensive, although it is 6 years, but with everything still definitely less than 4 years in the US.

It has ads/disads but if I could, I would still come to europe. I love it.

Now people always say "if you wanna go back to the US " etc, then it might be more difficult. But not sure why you would want to practice in the US anyway...it's terrible. Fantastic opportunities in Europe.