Studying in F-1/H-4-What difference does it make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalmaniac

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hai Guys,
I am just wondering if there will be any practical advantages being in F-1? What are the good things being in F-1?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

are u joining nyu , i am in h4 and want to change to f1 visa , hence i have to apply for i 20 ,
f1 visa is little more flexible ..
u can pm me and give your phone # ,so that we can talk

bye ..

F1 means you do not have immigration intent, so if your greencard is in process you might have problems if you change to F1

butterjam said:
are u joining nyu , i am in h4 and want to change to f1 visa , hence i have to apply for i 20 ,
f1 visa is little more flexible ..
u can pm me and give your phone # ,so that we can talk

bye ..

Members don't see this ad :)
will we get the additional one year like the students doing their M.S to find a job after completing the course?

Hai Butter jam,
check your p.m

you get 6 years on H visa(doesnt matter if you are on H1 or H4, INS regards it as H visa, sounds unfair but it is true. But Law may change), if you use two years in studying and have already used 4 years on H dependent visa then you have to go out of country for 1 year and get in line for new H visa. This is worst case scenario. You may have 2 or more years of H visa left.

Dentalmaniac said:
Hai Guys,
I am just wondering if there will be any practical advantages being in F-1? What are the good things being in F-1?

Thanks.

hello everyone,
i had a question..if u manage to get F1 visa..which will be valid only till the time of ur study...wht is the scenario after that???..I have heard that u will be on optional training period following that..is the optional training period actually optional or is it given to every student on F1 but its just called optional???i will appreciate a response..
thanks..
panchhi.

panchhi said:
hello everyone,
i had a question..if u manage to get F1 visa..which will be valid only till the time of ur study...wht is the scenario after that???..I have heard that u will be on optional training period following that..is the optional training period actually optional or is it given to every student on F1 but its just called optional???i will appreciate a response..
thanks..
panchhi.
When you are on f1 you will have a form I 20..that is valid thru the duration of study.To go into opt you have to have SEVIS updated,a new i 20 will be issued.It is not a "given" thing.You need to meet with the international office people in your d-school and apply for it before graduation.
If you have more questions feel free to ask :)

hey D(Mental),
thanks a ton..i like ur sdn name..i used to think getting admissions was the toughest thing..guess was wrong!! :D anyways abt OPT..so u do not need to go to ur home country to get ur opt right??coz i think for H1 u have to return to ur home country just like for F1 ..and visit US consulate here..am i correct??or do u have take this I-20 which they issue for OPTand visit consulate again??
i will appreciate ur reply..
Panchhi.
D(M)ental said:
When you are on f1 you will have a form I 20..that is valid thru the duration of study.To go into opt you have to have SEVIS updated,a new i 20 will be issued.It is not a "given" thing.You need to meet with the international office people in your d-school and apply for it before graduation.
If you have more questions feel free to ask :)

This is how the visa thing works.

If you are currently on H4 or any other visa and in the US, you can ask the university to issue the I-20. Using that and several other documents you will file form I-539 asking the INS for a change of status (COS) to F1. This takes a couple of months to get approved. Once approved, you will receive a document stating your F1 status and a new I-94 to match.

You do not need to leave the US for a COS. However, once your F1 is approved, if you travel outside the country, you will have to visit a US consulate abroad to get the F1 stamp in your passport inorder to re-enter.

About the OPT...again, you can apply for it from within the US ,just before you graduate.

The bottom line is, you can apply for COS from within the country from H4 to F1 to H1 to anything else. But your passport should be stamped with your most current status if you wish to re-enter the US after a trip abroad.

panchhi said:
hey D(Mental),
thanks a ton..i like ur sdn name..i used to think getting admissions was the toughest thing..guess was wrong!! :D anyways abt OPT..so u do not need to go to ur home country to get ur opt right??coz i think for H1 u have to return to ur home country just like for F1 ..and visit US consulate here..am i correct??or do u have take this I-20 which they issue for OPTand visit consulate again??
i will appreciate ur reply..
Panchhi.
Hey Panchhi thank you. :D
Looks like Tweetybird has info I did not know about.
OPT status is like f1 status ..as in you are still the student of the University that issued your I20 but you are authorised to work off campus.Thats it.No consulate no nothin' ok? For H1 its a different ball game..you employer sponsers your work papers and stuff and you take all of that to US consulate outside the US.Most of my friends travelled outside the US to Canada/Mexico/ India to get their H1 stamped.
Right now(in my opinion) this needs to be your last concern....you are admitted to BU right?...Study well and enjoy yourself....leave this to your last semester... :D
If you still have questions do ask.
And good luck :luck:

hey tweetybird and D(m)ental .
thanks a ton..u have solved lot of my doubts..yeah i m joining BU..
panchhi.
D(M)ental said:
Hey Panchhi thank you. :D
Looks like Tweetybird has info I did not know about.
OPT status is like f1 status ..as in you are still the student of the University that issued your I20 but you are authorised to work off campus.Thats it.No consulate no nothin' ok? For H1 its a different ball game..you employer sponsers your work papers and stuff and you take all of that to US consulate outside the US.Most of my friends travelled outside the US to Canada/Mexico/ India to get their H1 stamped.
Right now(in my opinion) this needs to be your last concern....you are admitted to BU right?...Study well and enjoy yourself....leave this to your last semester... :D
If you still have questions do ask.
And good luck :luck:

hi guys,,,
plz help me i have a doubt!!!!actually i am on h4visa,,which will be expiring in the month of october,,but we have applied for extension and we will be very soon getting 3yrs of extension as our green card is in process,,we have cleared the I-140 stage(second stage) and waiting for the current date so that we can apply for 3rd stage,,,so now my problem is while applying to dental schools,,they ask copy of passport and visa,,,so will this visa expiry date affect my application status,,,i am confused and donno what to do???does a letter from my hubbys office help,,saying that my extension and gc is in process or something like that..plzzz help :confused: