Studying in the Czech Republic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gc1983

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

By the end of the week i will be studying at Charles Uni 1st faculty in prague. If any of you guys have any questions about this then don't hesitate to e-mail me. [email protected]

Also it would be great to hear bout your medschool education in the u.s. i would really like to do an elective over there in the future!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck. Prague is an AWESOME city. I was there in 1999 for an international epilepsy conference.

Many schools allow students to do fourth-year electives in the U.S. As far as electives for visiting international students, check out this link:

http://services.aamc.org/eec/student.cfm

-Skip Intro
MS2 Ross University
Portsmouth, Dominica

Might still be a little wet, they're coming off the worst flooding in several centuries- good luck to you and them with the recovery.

Members don't see this ad :)
look forward to seeing you here! the flooding has passed...i was in the us when it happened, and when i got here i expected it to be devastated..the truth is, i would never have know there was a flood if not for CNN. my roomie was here during the flooding and barely noticed. just depends on what part of town you were in.

you will love it here at the first faculty. if you need any help when you arrive or have any questions feel free to contact me! congrats and see you soon.

neil

What's the process for applying to Charles U. ? Do you need the MCAT or is there a proprietary entrance exam ? If so, what does it entail? What sort of grades and scores and EC's do you need?:confused:

Any guidance would be much appreciated.:)

getting in is actually quite easy...that is the big difference between schools in some parts of europe and the US. basically, if you pass the entrance exam and have completed A-level course or the equivilent, then you can start first year.

in reality, the students straight from high school, or those with less than stellar A-level results typically fail at least 1 year. it is pretty normal for a class to graduate with somewhere around 30% of its original members. this is not due to exceptionally tough exams, but mainly due to the lax admissions process. but, the school has the idea that beyond minimal qualifications (the entrance exam) they do not want to decide whether you will be a doctor or not based on anything other than your med school performance...not very effecien, perhaps, but very fair.

anyhow, the test is basic chemistry, physics and biology/genetics. if you have college experience in these classes, no problem. high school level may require a bit of work, but still not a huge challenge.

if you need contact info at the school, or anything else, feel free to contact me or visit the school website:
www.lf1.cuni.cz

good luck