Studying in the U.S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stuck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
im a medical student,studying in india,in my 3rd year...i was wondering if somebody could enlighten me on the process of applying to study in the U.S..for post grad...what all exams to take,if there is anything else other than USMLE, a little about the MLE exams...the studies and work prospects and the level of difficulty of these exams...where to study from and when to start....and other paper work,also how easy or difficult it is...and the college culture...the branches offered to indians usually etc...

anybody!!!!!!

thanx :)

Members don't see this ad.

Medical student questions are not appropriate for the General Residency forum. After discussion with the Mod Staff it was felt that this was best in the India forum where you can discuss the process with other medical students.

Members don't see this ad :)
United States Medical Licensing Exams

3 Steps to be taken.
Step 1 - Comprising of 1st 2 years of knowledge aka basic sciences
Step 2 CK - Last 2 (3 in case of MBBS) years of knowledge aka clinical sciences
Step 2 CS - A practical exam where the standard of your english, ability to talk to a patient and history taking skills are tested. Result is on pass/fail basis.
Step 3 - Americans take it during residency, as a foreign grad you'll probably take it even before applying.

When to take it - Most people take it during their internship.

Things looked at by programs - US Clinical experience, Step scores, LORs.

Branches mostly given to indians - I know of people getting into most branches except derm and plastics. ENT is rare too. By and large, 85%+ get Internal medicine/Family medicine/Pediatrics.

You should do a bit of your own research at www.usmle.org and www.ecfmg.org

thank you...please keep me informed incase u get to know more or hear more from people