Studying MCAT for 2nd time - what study materials to use?

jubilantx

May 11, 2011
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone, Merry Christmas! :)

I used Kaplan for the first MCAT but found the questions on the actual exam very different than the practice problems provided. The questions that I were stumped upon were very general ones that are concept-based.

Can anyone suggest better prep books? Browsing through the forum, people seem to be suggesting EK, TPR, and TBR the most. Also, any suggestions for practice problems and full length exams? Is it possible to purchase full-lengths exams from the various MCAT prep companies? Please let me know which companies' questions are good (most similar to actual questions) :p.

Thanks very much!:luck:

MedPR

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    Dec 1, 2011
    1. Pre-Podiatry
      Hey everyone, Merry Christmas! :)

I used Kaplan for the first MCAT but found the questions on the actual exam very different than the practice problems provided. The questions that I were stumped upon were very general ones that are concept-based.

Can anyone suggest better prep books? Browsing through the forum, people seem to be suggesting EK, TPR, and TBR the most. Also, any suggestions for practice problems and full length exams? Is it possible to purchase full-lengths exams from the various MCAT prep companies? Please let me know which companies' questions are good (most similar to actual questions) :p.

Thanks very much!:luck:

Here you go: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

TBR everything but Verbal, EK bio, AAMC FLs, EK 1001 + 101 Verbal, TPRH Verbal.

DocGodfather

Oct 7, 2011
      Los Angeles
      1. Pre-Medical
        Here you go: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

TBR everything but Verbal, EK bio, AAMC FLs, EK 1001 + 101 Verbal, TPRH Verbal.

I was planning on getting the whole set from TBR, and possibly signing up for a prep course. I was under the impression their verbal text was one of the best, and EK was great for Bio? I'm going to start reviewing little-by-little, and then do a heavy load of studying a coupe months before I take the MCAT next summer.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
        Removed
        Dec 1, 2011
        1. Pre-Podiatry
          I was planning on getting the whole set from TBR, and possibly signing up for a prep course. I was under the impression their verbal text was one of the best, and EK was great for Bio? I'm going to start reviewing little-by-little, and then do a heavy load of studying a coupe months before I take the MCAT next summer.

I'm using EK bio and TBR bio and the EK bio seems to be good if you've got a solid background in bio. TBR is a little detailed, but I like to use it for reference in areas that I don't feel that comfortable with.

The main thing I like about EK Bio is the 30 minute exams. Unlike Chem, Ochem, and Physics, you can't really do problems to learn Biology, so having more passages is necessary.

About the Ads

MedPR

Membership Revoked
          Removed
          Dec 1, 2011
          1. Pre-Podiatry
            if you are getting concept questions wrong maybe you just need a content review?

True, but it's also good to practice integrating the concepts and seeing them in MCAT format.

You can memorize all of the equations and know the content, but if the way MCAT presents it is new to you, you won't do as well as if you we4re familiar with MCAT verbage.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.