Studying MCAT for 2nd time - what study materials to use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jubilantx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Merry Christmas! :)

I used Kaplan for the first MCAT but found the questions on the actual exam very different than the practice problems provided. The questions that I were stumped upon were very general ones that are concept-based.

Can anyone suggest better prep books? Browsing through the forum, people seem to be suggesting EK, TPR, and TBR the most. Also, any suggestions for practice problems and full length exams? Is it possible to purchase full-lengths exams from the various MCAT prep companies? Please let me know which companies' questions are good (most similar to actual questions) :p.

Thanks very much!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, Merry Christmas! :)

I used Kaplan for the first MCAT but found the questions on the actual exam very different than the practice problems provided. The questions that I were stumped upon were very general ones that are concept-based.

Can anyone suggest better prep books? Browsing through the forum, people seem to be suggesting EK, TPR, and TBR the most. Also, any suggestions for practice problems and full length exams? Is it possible to purchase full-lengths exams from the various MCAT prep companies? Please let me know which companies' questions are good (most similar to actual questions) :p.

Thanks very much!:luck:

Here you go: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

TBR everything but Verbal, EK bio, AAMC FLs, EK 1001 + 101 Verbal, TPRH Verbal.

Here you go: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

TBR everything but Verbal, EK bio, AAMC FLs, EK 1001 + 101 Verbal, TPRH Verbal.

I was planning on getting the whole set from TBR, and possibly signing up for a prep course. I was under the impression their verbal text was one of the best, and EK was great for Bio? I'm going to start reviewing little-by-little, and then do a heavy load of studying a coupe months before I take the MCAT next summer.

I was planning on getting the whole set from TBR, and possibly signing up for a prep course. I was under the impression their verbal text was one of the best, and EK was great for Bio? I'm going to start reviewing little-by-little, and then do a heavy load of studying a coupe months before I take the MCAT next summer.

I'm using EK bio and TBR bio and the EK bio seems to be good if you've got a solid background in bio. TBR is a little detailed, but I like to use it for reference in areas that I don't feel that comfortable with.

The main thing I like about EK Bio is the 30 minute exams. Unlike Chem, Ochem, and Physics, you can't really do problems to learn Biology, so having more passages is necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are getting concept questions wrong maybe you just need a content review?

True, but it's also good to practice integrating the concepts and seeing them in MCAT format.

You can memorize all of the equations and know the content, but if the way MCAT presents it is new to you, you won't do as well as if you we4re familiar with MCAT verbage.