Studying Medicine Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tappinfool66

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend (yes, I'm really talking about a friend here but I would also possibly be interested in doing this) who is thinking about studying medicine abroad, specifically in Spain. We've both studied there before for a semester (I'm here currently) and we're both more or less fluent in Spanish. Does anyone know of anyone who's done this? Is it possible and how would he go about that? What are the steps? When do the cycles start? If not every university allows this, which ones do? Is there an exam similar to the MCAT that's required? Is there a way to cut out the first year or two if you already have a science education?

We tried looking and couldn't find anything online so any information you guys might have would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend (yes, I'm really talking about a friend here but I would also possibly be interested in doing this) who is thinking about studying medicine abroad, specifically in Spain. We've both studied there before for a semester (I'm here currently) and we're both more or less fluent in Spanish. Does anyone know of anyone who's done this? Is it possible and how would he go about that? What are the steps? When do the cycles start? If not every university allows this, which ones do? Is there an exam similar to the MCAT that's required? Is there a way to cut out the first year or two if you already have a science education?

We tried looking and couldn't find anything online so any information you guys might have would be great.

It is best to attend medical school in the country that you intend on practicing in.

If you really wanna speak Spanish and learn in Spanish, consider a Puerto Rican school which is still LCME accredited. Make sure it's stable, unlike San Juan Batista.

My recc' would be to stay in the contiguous 48 states.

Members don't see this ad :)

i don't know the process in Spain but remember that you should only attend a medical school abroad if you plan on staying in that country. Coming back to the USA as an IMG is hard

Thank you for the responses so far. We do understand all of that. We wouldn't have any problem staying in Spain and living/practicing here. We just want to know if anyone is familiar with how to go about it or if anyone knows anyone who has applied to a foreign/Spanish medical school before.

Thank you for the responses so far. We do understand all of that. We wouldn't have any problem staying in Spain and living/practicing here. We just want to know if anyone is familiar with how to go about it or if anyone knows anyone who has applied to a foreign/Spanish medical school before.

I am actually wondering the same thing. Being hispanic, I am drawn to Spain. The exciting feeling of living overseas and just enjoying a whole other country sounds exciting.

For those of you interested in living overseas, make sure you actually know what you are getting yourselves into, and are not just going on a whim after studying abroad.....:smack:

I have been living abroad for a year working though a scholarship, and I will tell you, studying abroad and living abroad are different.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages though. But, keep in mind that if you are starting medical school, and then you find out you really hate the country you are living in, or just get plain sick of it, you might be stuck (hopefully not though, and debt expenses will likely be a lot lower~:clap:).

Also, keep in mind that even being fluent doesn't make life so great. Life is life anywhere you are, and different cultural differences will wear on you as you go. I am one of 86 others in my group, and all of us have our difficulties. However, the fluent among us in Korean tend to have many interesting problems as well.

Anyway, I am not here to discourage anyone, just want you to make an informed decision!

After my year in South Korea I have come to my conclusion: I love the country, but it is time to go home. Lucky, my scholarship is up, and plus, my medical school only allowed me 1 year~ :zip:.
Anyway, that is my input:biglove:

-Green

Last edited:
Getting into European med schools is very competitive if you are coming from the US. Have you guys looked into going to med school here, but studying abroad? I know Ohio State has that type of program, might be worth it to check it out.

If it's anything like Italy and other European countries (I'll speak more about Italy since I lived there) then you go straight form high school after taking an entrance exam (the top N get in after ranked by the exam).

Anyway, if you are studying abroad right now in Spain (or even just in Spain on vacay) go to the local university and ask them.