studying Medicine in foreign language

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfiniteLight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got a full scholarship to study medicine in Russia, I know it is great and I am very very grateful, but I will have to study in RUSSIAN language. My English is fluent, and I am from an Arabic country. I have been thinking about this for too long and I don't know what to do. I don't want to miss this scholarship but on the other hand I don't know how I will be able to study in Russian language even after the 1 year of Russian language learning course, basically I am afraid to fail.

Another question, if I did study in Russian(may God grant me the courage to), and I want to then move to an English speaking country after finishing all 6 years so that I can do post graduate studies or to work, would I be able to understand all the medical stuff and actually be a successful doctor and understand diseases and diagnoses and all since I have studied in a foreign language? or would learning in Russian language be a barrier? Because I don't know if medicine is a united language in the terms and diseases or not.

Thank you so much, please help me cause I am at the maximum level of confusion.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I got a full scholarship to study medicine in Russia, I know it is great and I am very very grateful, but I will have to study in RUSSIAN language. My English is fluent, and I am from an Arabic country. I have been thinking about this for too long and I don't know what to do. I don't want to miss this scholarship but on the other hand I don't know how I will be able to study in Russian language even after the 1 year of Russian language learning course, basically I am afraid to fail.

Another question, if I did study in Russian(may God grant me the courage to), and I want to then move to an English speaking country after finishing all 6 years so that I can do post graduate studies or to work, would I be able to understand all the medical stuff and actually be a successful doctor and understand diseases and diagnoses and all since I have studied in a foreign language? or would learning in Russian language be a barrier? Because I don't know if medicine is a united language in the terms and diseases or not.

Thank you so much, please help me cause I am at the maximum level of confusion.

Its not a united language in terms of disease. You'll have to relearn the names in English again. I recommend you study in an English speaking country if you can, I understand it is more expensive, but I believe it is worth it. Western medicine is definitely of higher quality in English speaking countries.