Studying Medicine in India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I was thinking of different options for medical school.

I am a sophomore at a top 35 university. I recently posted my grades on another thread named "losing hope" for anyone who wants to know them.

I am an Indian and have lived in the US from the age of 6. I was born in India though and am an Indian citizen but a US permanent resident.

If I study medicine abroad in India, it would be 5 years. (no undergrad necessary....I will have done 2 years of undergrad here in the US though). This would result in attaining an MBBS and then you can go on to do 2 more years to get an MD.

Language and culture wouldn't be a problem for me. I would probably be one of the oldest students for that graduating class however since I would be 20 at the time. Most of the entering students would be 17 - 18.

I don't know how this would work though since I have already studied 1.5 years of undergrad here and it will be 2 yrs by the time I start med school. Do any of you know people who have done this? Did they think it was worth it?

Would I have to take board exams to get in even though I have graduated from an American high school and am attending college?

How easy is it to find a residency if I plan on practicing in the US? I don't know how this would be perceived since I have done all of my schooling in the US so far. Would it look bad if I went to India just for med school?

Also, since I am not an American citizen, would I be considered like an international student for residency if I graduate from medical school in a foreign country?

Do any of you know how exams compare to those in the US for med school?

Would this be worth doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Actually, my best friend went to India for med school this semester. He seems like he's having a lot of fun, and he doesn't regret his decision.

Of course, I'd love to have him back, so I've been doing my research on this as well. If you want to come back to the US for residency, you're going to have to make top marks and good USMLE scores. I'm pretty sure it's going to be highly competitive, probably more so than if you stayed in a US medical school. It also depends a lot on which residency you're applying to enter. Family physician and pediatrician residencies shouldn't be too hard if you make the right grades and scores.

I'm not sure about the international student status though. I heard about the requirements for medical students in China, but I kinda forgot the details >.>

I also don't know about the exams. Technically, though, the exams should be comparable to those in the US. I mean, you should be tested over the same material, and the tests should reflect the fact that you know your sciences. The USMLE given abroad is the same as the one given here.

This would be worth doing only as a last resort. If you truly do not believe you can get into a medical school in the US and if you believe you can come back (if you want to), go for it. From your previous threads, however, I still believe you have a good chance of getting into a medical school in the US.

Good luck!

There's a section for studying in other countries on this board. You might find better advice there.

However, you've already invested much time already. Maybe stick with it two more years and then med school. Also, you get an MD which is "higher" than an MBBS. But, ultimately it's up to you. However, I've heard that for practicing in the US it's harder for FMGs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, those are ton of questions. Let me take stab at them maybe others who know more can chime in.

Hey!

I don't know how this would work though since I have already studied 1.5 years of undergrad here and it will be 2 yrs by the time I start med school. Do any of you know people who have done this? Did they think it was worth it?

A lot of people actually do this. Schools in India have an International "quota" where you can get admission by paying more fees than regular students. I think Manipal is one such school, there are ton of other schools in South India who accept International students. You will have to google for them. A physician I shadowed was a US citizen (born and bred) but did his MBBS at Manipal, residency in carribean and fellowship at a top 25 US med school.

Would I have to take board exams to get in even though I have graduated from an American high school and am attending college?

If by board you mean Indian board exams for high school, I dont think so, but you can search for more information about manipal and other med schools in south india. I am sure they have some info on their websites.

How easy is it to find a residency if I plan on practicing in the US? I don't know how this would be perceived since I have done all of my schooling in the US so far. Would it look bad if I went to India just for med school?

Well, once you graduate from a med school outside US you become an IMG/FMG (International graduate) and you compete with people from all over the world for the spots that are not filled by US seniors. So, yeah competetive residency like rads, derm,etc become very difficult to match into. However, if you have very good step-1 scores you can match into every other possible residency.

Also, since I am not an American citizen, would I be considered like an international student for residency if I graduate from medical school in a foreign country?

Your residency status doesnt matter (plus you are a US resident anyway). What matters is where you graduate from i.e. US or foreign med school.

Do any of you know how exams compare to those in the US for med school?

I have no idea but they have a different grading system. They dont have GPA's, I think they use british system i.e. "marks"

Would this be worth doing?

Like everything else in life, its all a matter of personal choice. I believe that there are no shortcuts in life. You will have to pay your dues to get to a certain point in life. The biggest pros of going to India in my opinion are : cheaper education, plenty of clinical exposure (no HIPAA or law suits to deal with) and shorter duration to finish your medical education.

Good luck with your decision. Hope everything works out for you.:luck:

Is it a good idea? I'm not sure but I was looking at directory of residents at the hospital where I work and 3 out of maybe 40 to 50 went to med schools in india. There was also a south american grad and one from the Caribbean. I think they were either fam med or IM residents.