Studying Overseas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alicias108

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever did one of those programs where you study medicine overseas? Such as in Africa or India? Sort of like a missions trip? I am considering attending one of those over the summer. I'm interested in a month long India program. You work at a mother/child health clinic. It would be a good experience, but am worried I will melt in the Indian sun. :)

Members don't see this ad.

"Study medicine" or "volunteer". I've done medical volunteer trips in Central America and Africa.

May I ask what was it like? The cost doesn't seem to be too great. I'll be paying for it myself so would like a program where I'm not paying out the yang.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
The program was thorugh ISL, and it was expensive ($1000+ plus airfair). For most programs you're going to have to pay for your food, lodging and travel expenses, which adds up quickly.

As for the experience, in most countries unless you're a liscenced medical professional in their country you can't do much more than shadow. Of course it's still a very rewarding experience andyou get to see things most people don't get to (both medical and cultural).

If decide to go on a trip like this, you might want to fundraise amongst family, friends, and church/rotary groups. You can offer to bring back friends and family souveniers or do a slide show presentation for a group when you return. Every little bit helps.

I am volunteering in India for 3 weeks at an eye clinic through Unite For Sight...I leave in 2 weeks! :)

I don't know what kind of "clinical" work you are looking for, but this is strictly prepping patients before they get a real doc to examine them and observing surgical proceedures.

I am responsible to fundraise $1375 for the program, pay my airfare, food, lodging....overall I was able to fundraised $1500 and my personal cost will be about $1200.

Raising the money isn't really an issue. I work full time, but have the luxury to leave my job for a few weeks to do a project like this. I would like to keep the trip costs to around 3K..I know it can be done..we'll just have to see. I want to particularly work with kids. I can pay 3K simply out of pocket. Also, I'd like to go to a place where there aren't giant frogs. I have an extreme phobia :laugh:

Raising the money isn't really an issue. I work full time, but have the luxury to leave my job for a few weeks to do a project like this. I would like to keep the trip costs to around 3K..I know it can be done..we'll just have to see. I want to particularly work with kids. I can pay 3K simply out of pocket. Also, I'd like to go to a place where there aren't giant frogs. I have an extreme phobia :laugh:

Giant frogs won't be much of an issue, though mosquitoes will be, so be sure to sleep in a very cold room or with an insect net. And unfortunately the heat at times can be inescapable (many hospitals/clinics are not air conditioned). In terms of expense, things in india are (for the most part) much cheaper than in the states. and if you're there for a few weeks, 3K will get you by without much of a problem. I've done quite a bit of volunteer work in India, if you have any questions feel free to drop me a line.