Studying the MCAT before taking the prerequisite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Penguin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a career-changer looking into doing one-year formal post-bac program. I know this sounds kind of crazy, but one of my plans is that I spend this year applying for a formal structured program and self-study the MCAT while gaining some hospital experience. Then, do one-year formal post-bac (that will also provide some MCAT prep sessions) and hopefully get into a linkage program. In this way, I can save my glide year and get onto med school right away.

I am looking for a concise self-explanatory MCAT prep book to teach myself prior to taking the prerequisites. Are there good MCAT prep books that may be useful in my case?

I think the verbal and writing sections are safe to prepare without any science prerequisite. As far as the other two "CORE" sections of the MCAT, I definitely need a more serious approach. Some one-year formal post-bac programs do prepare students for MCAT during the program, but I am convinced that no matter how good their prep materials may be, I may not have enough time to study the MCAT effectively while taking three science courses with a lab for each.

I am trying very hard to avoid having a glide year. I very much prefer doing a linkage program. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your financial situation? Schedule a commercial prep course before the test if time and money will permit.

I am not rich but will gladly pay for my MCAT prep. However, what matters the most to me here is that I will be carrying three science courses with a lab each at the time of taking the MCAT. So, coming up with an effective strategy for studying the MCAT matters more than the money issue for taking a prep course.

CP

Cold Penguin said:
I am not rich but will gladly pay for my MCAT prep. However, what matters the most to me here is that I will be carrying three science courses with a lab each at the time of taking the MCAT. So, coming up with an effective strategy for studying the MCAT matters more than the money issue for taking a prep course.

CP

I think I'd try to adjust that set-up if possible. Try to take the MCAT when you're not so pressed for time and schedule a commercial prep course.

My original reply got erased...

I think it is not wise to take the MCAT w/o pre-reqs. You need more than a cursory understanding of the topics in order to do well, and prep books/classes don't really 'teach', they review. You cannot learn 8 semester-long science courses in 10 months using review texts and expect to do well. Why are you pushing so hard to avoid a glide year? Better to take more time and do it well than to bomb the April test and put yourself back another number of years...