omrfc768

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Hi all,
I plan on taking the MCAT early August this coming year. I was wondering if anybody has experience studying without using a content review book. What I plan to do is use the content outlines that AAMC has online for the BS and PS sections and essentially making my own content review packet from all my textbooks from pre-med classes. Does anybody have experience using this method?
After I finish I will likely buy all of EK's 1001 problem books so I know how to the MCAT asks and how to think for the test. Planning to accomplish finishing my own content review by May or so then using remaining time for practice problems/tests.
Main reason I want to use this method is I can't shell out 500$+ for all the content review books, practice problems, and AAMC tests. I'd rather half the cost by just buying practice problems and tests since I've already bought all those 200$+ textbooks.

I'd love to hear back as to how do-able this plan is. I got around 7 months with a course load that manageable this coming semester with rest of my winter break and my spring break. Yes I know my textbook has extra info thats not on the test but they already gave you a outline of whats important. And I will buy the EK 1001 set so I'll know what kinda questions are on it.
Is this a stupid idea?

Nov 13, 2012
Bay Area
Status
Pre-Medical
Can't answer much since I'm studying now but I know from many sdn threads that EK 1001 for bio is (apparently) not representative of the current mcat and problems are easier than the real thing.

Jan 18, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. Actually, I'm kinda surprised there's not a "plan" for this type of plan. :) Content review is content review. The high yield area is when you start the AAMC tests, and can think through the problems presented. If I had all my old textbooks I'd try it! Someone recently gave me a ton of content review material, but I hear you on the cost of acquiring it yourself!

Oct 12, 2013
Status
I actually have a physics text book with specific mcat problems in it. I actually prefer it to most content review books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O

omrfc768

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Hmm then I guess this turns to another question. I've read other places EK 1001 and verbal 101 is a good source.
Is this not the case? Is TPR is better?

Jul 22, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
EK 101 verbal is not representative of the real thing AT ALL.
Passages are too short + questions dont require critical thinking that much + passages are way too interesting + easy to comprehend. But if you have like 3 months left, its still a good practice.

Use EK 101 first then use TPRH verbal, then AAMC.

EK 1001 has so many unnecessary questions.
TPRH is way better imo. Also, use TBR for passages. It's really hard compared to the real thing, but it will make you think the real thing is walking in the park.

Czarcasm

Hakuna matata, no worries.
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2013
Crypts of Lieberkühn
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I actually have a physics text book with specific mcat problems in it. I actually prefer it to most content review books.

:O!!! We might have the same book, but I forget what it's called. It's sitting in my basement somewhere, collecting dust. Mines was like greenish blue and had the AAMC logo on the front somewhere I think. Then again, there's probs tons of Physics books like that, haha.

Oct 12, 2013
Status
:O!!! We might have the same book, but I forget what it's called. It's sitting in my basement somewhere, collecting dust. Mines was like greenish blue and had the AAMC logo on the front somewhere I think. Then again, there's probs tons of Physics books like that, haha.
I'll post up the name when I get home. Mine is green too. It's awesome

OP
O

omrfc768

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
EK 101 verbal is not representative of the real thing AT ALL.
Passages are too short + questions dont require critical thinking that much + passages are way too interesting + easy to comprehend. But if you have like 3 months left, its still a good practice.

Use EK 101 first then use TPRH verbal, then AAMC.

EK 1001 has so many unnecessary questions.
TPRH is way better imo. Also, use TBR for passages. It's really hard compared to the real thing, but it will make you think the real thing is walking in the park.
I think maybe what I might do is once I'm done with my content review buy TBR CBT's for practice. Doing some research the EK 1001 series (except verbal 101 passages) are all discrete questions which doesnt exactly mimic the real test. If I cant get my hands on TPRH I think I might just buy FL's from AAMC, TBR and other sources as practice passages.