studying

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by villiarp, Jul 21, 2002.

1. villiarp

villiarp Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

How long do all of you study in a particular day or week? I would appreciate the info.
    Thanks

2. JP2005

JP2005 HOPKINS GAS PASSER
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    WEEKDAYS.....

class 9 am until about 4

eat and bull**** 4-5

study 5-10:30 pm

gym 10:30 - 12 am

read 12 am - 2 am (light reading....review books, etc.)

5 DAYS A WEEK DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR (FRIDAY AND SAT.... ILL END STUDYING AROUND 9 AND HANGOUT WITH FRIENDS, GET SOME BOOTY, ETC.)

WEEKENDS......

CATCH UP ON SLEEP

STUDY NOON - 8

8- ? : FRIENDS AND BOOTY

3. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

That...sounds a little extreme.

4. JP2005

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    it is. ...but it has done me well first yr of med school....no retakes with numerous honors....and i plan on doing that 2nd yr for class and boards...as they say....ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.......

5. vietcongs

vietcongs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

First year: a few hrs every day (M-F) with a cram session once in a while before exams..sometimes, i take a day or two off to relax. did very well first yr, passed all my classes and made decent grades. i may be a slacker, but i'd much rather be doing more enjoyable things...instead of spending my days and nights in the library with my head in a book.

:cool:

6. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING
    7+ Year Member

I think everyone wants to have a good time doing more enjoyable things, but do so when the time is right. I think Jp's schedule is great and very commendable. It shows he truly wants to be the BEST he can be, but also takes time out to do things for himself. I think Med School should be looked at as a job and a privilege and people who are accepted should strive to be the best possible. You still have the luxury of being a student, while your peers are probably already slaving away at regular jobs, so take advantage of it, but also be serious about it. Just my opinion.

7. JP2005

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    thank you centrum...i dont have to put in that many hours bc i knw i can "just pass" if i really wanted to..i WANT TO put in that many hours because i know in my head im better than "just pass" and besides if you dont learn the material well enough now...when are you going to? the hours only get worse as you leave med school and go through residency...and it will be hard to make time to review 1st and 2nd yr stuff.trust me.......i have 2 sisters that went through all this crap.....

i make time for friends, family and friends with benefits....so guess thats all that counts............

2nd yr count down............13 days.....:eek:

8. sash

sash Junior Member

would people mind mentioning which schools they are at? and, is there anyone out there who is at OHSU or Albany med? thank you!

9. JP2005

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  10. Med4ever

Med4ever Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

With hours like that jp2005 I want you to be my doc. Seriously though...get some sleep dude. U pump till 12:00 am....wouldnt the endorphins keep you up all night?

Wow I am messing my self in anticipation to the killer hours. You guys are joking right it is not that serious right?:( :( :( :( :(

11. JP2005

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    honestly, the hours you put depend on

1. what type of learner you are
    2. what you really wanna make out of your medical school education
    3. what you want to do (ride the curve and just pass, or kill the curve and get honors).......i guess this all depends on what you want to go into after med school.......
    4. your curriculum...NYCOM is known to have one of the tougher curriculums in regard to 1st and 2nd yr bc they cram a ****load of classes into those 2 yrs

its only approx. 2 yrs you are buried in books....3rd and 4th yr are about being in the hospital from 6-6, and then coming home and doing some light reading and preparing to be pimped the next day.....

as for the gym.....ive been going late ever since college started.....have 24 hr gym around the neighborhood.....and no......it doesnt keep me up all night......the reading i do before bed puts me to sleep....lol.....

and for sleep...i get 6 hours a night....which is more than enough for me.....

12. Kenny

Kenny Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Currently study in RCSI at Dublin

During pre-medical year

3 nights without sleep before the exam + between 0 to 2 hours of study daily+ Holidays are total waste + attend all lectures.

At 1st year

between half hour to three hours daily. 6 to 8 hours per day during the week prior to term exams, + attend all lectures.

2nd year

Planning to stay with medical informations 2 to 4 hours daily+ attend all lectures, whether I am sleep there or not, promised not to snore again.

p.s
    I always wished to study about 6 hours per day, my mind doesn't comply. There is always something else.

13. MustafaMond

MustafaMond K-Diddy M.D.
    7+ Year Member

In med school, i found that the more i crammed into my head (especially basic science stuff) the faster it fell out...

spending 8 hours a day reading will just fill your head w/ a bunch of text that has no relevant meaning to you...

I didnt study much....<1 hour a day unless I was studyin for boards, internal exams, etc in which case i would study hard....

I just listened well in class (something most med students do NOT) and I did fine.

Cramming a bunch of crap into your head will just stress u out, and hurt your soacial life. Med school is fun, Id enjoy it even more, had i the chance to do it over...

14. cmz

cmz Pathology Wannabe
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know what it is about studying in medical school.... Personally, I can get away with studying (on average) a couple of hours a day for the first few weeks before I start my two week ritual prior to exams. Some days I don't study because I come home late from previous school engagements, and some days I may put in a little more time. When the two week alarm hits, I make sure I go through my syllabi a couple of times to get the gist of things (this takes about a week). I'm making notes and organizing all of my information. By the last week, I usually spend 10 hrs a day in the library, etc with a study group and we learn all we can until our minds are mush. This works for me quite well, but I think that this next year I will do a little more than 2 hrs a day on avg -- perhaps 3.5 hrs of hardcore actual studying and organizing.

To put things in perspective... a friend of mine puts in up to 40 hrs every week. I personally think it's overkill -- we always end up with similar grades.

If you're an entering medical student, I'm sure you may be quite worried regarding how much you need to study... the only advice I can offer is to over-study for the first block and see how you do on the exams. Of course, every successive block may or may not be more difficult (depends on your background), but it's been my experience that after every block more is expected out of you. :)

15. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree that so much can be overkill. There is a point where extra studying won't correlate with extra points on exams. I cut my studying in half my second year (from 10 hours a day down to around 4-5). My average dropped by 2 points. I enjoyed school a lot more, had more free time, and enjoyed a life once more. So for me, the 2 point drop in my average was worth the extra 5 hours per day I had to enjoy myself.

16. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

Nice...I like the way you operate, player. ;)

17. Kenny

Kenny Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is there any one currently feels more stressed by everything else compared to study. - Unemployment, lack of financial independence, isolation segregation, ignorant to any other THINGS, social myth...... .Thus gradually spent more time on study. Hope everything will be better after the dark hour passed.

18. MustafaMond

MustafaMond K-Diddy M.D.
    7+ Year Member

[bump]

for snig