UTCobra

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
36
0
Status
I'm talking really immature stuff, like taking something totally out of context (or in context from Perv Profs) in a perverted way. I know we are supposed to be all professional, but I still like potty humor.

1. My example is from a student run Micro review. The presenter was talking about bacteria and zoonotics. She said the bacteria can be found in "Meat packing plants." I snickered, but so did the guy next to me, and we just started laughing at each other, then she said its also common in people involved with "Animal husbandry." I lost it. :oops:

2. Prof told us a good way to remember Parasympathetic and Sympathetic for the penis (Para for arousal, and symp for ejaculation). He said "Point and Shoot" :eek:

Just curious if anyone else is as immature as me.
 

renox9

Registered Boozer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2004
79
0
37
Pleasantville, NY
Status
I laugh to myself every time anyone says "load" in biochemistry (as in methionine load test). If thats not the epitome of immature...I don't know what is.
 

tupac_don

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
881
3
Status
UTCobra said:
I'm talking really immature stuff, like taking something totally out of context (or in context from Perv Profs) in a perverted way. I know we are supposed to be all professional, but I still like potty humor.

1. My example is from a student run Micro review. The presenter was talking about bacteria and zoonotics. She said the bacteria can be found in "Meat packing plants." I snickered, but so did the guy next to me, and we just started laughing at each other, then she said its also common in people involved with "Animal husbandry." I lost it. :oops:

2. Prof told us a good way to remember Parasympathetic and Sympathetic for the penis (Para for arousal, and symp for ejaculation). He said "Point and Shoot" :eek:

Just curious if anyone else is as immature as me.
What are you gonna do laugh your head off, when a pt throws his genitalia your way during a pelvic exam.
 

Rod Farva

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2003
103
10
Spurbury, VT
Visit site
Status
tupac_don said:
What are you gonna do laugh your head off, when a pt throws his genitalia your way during a pelvic exam.
Yes, pelvic exams are HILARIOUS. Get a sense of humor.
 
OP
U

UTCobra

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
36
0
Status
tupac_don said:
What are you gonna do laugh your head off, when a pt throws his genitalia your way during a pelvic exam.
Well, I knew it was coming, but only 2 posts before someone had to say something. This is a thread about things that make you laugh in class. If you don't laugh at anything in class, then don't post. You can't take everything so seriously. There is a difference btwn a lecture and a patient. And I would personally prefer a doctor with a sense of humor.

And no I wouldn't laugh if a patient threw his genitalia at me. I would move because I didn't want to get hit (especially by flying genitalia). Then I would give him a stern lecture about throwing things and how its only funny until someone loses an eye. Then I would hand him back his genitalia and tell him to be more careful with it, and not to play with it to much or he'll go blind.
 

dancinjenn

I'm ready for my close up
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2004
673
2
MI
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
UTCobra said:
And no I wouldn't laugh if a patient threw his genitalia at me. I would move because I didn't want to get hit (especially by flying genitalia). Then I would give him a stern lecture about throwing things and how its only funny until someone loses an eye. Then I would hand him back his genitalia and tell him to be more careful with it, and not to play with it to much or he'll go blind.
I read the first line of this paragraph and was like...oh no, another pi$$ing contest is about to start. Then I read the second sentence!!! LMAO!
 

vanelo

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2004
314
1
ShuffleiPods4Free.com
Status
UTCobra said:
Well, I knew it was coming, but only 2 posts before someone had to say something. This is a thread about things that make you laugh in class. If you don't laugh at anything in class, then don't post. You can't take everything so seriously. There is a difference btwn a lecture and a patient. And I would personally prefer a doctor with a sense of humor.

And no I wouldn't laugh if a patient threw his genitalia at me. I would move because I didn't want to get hit (especially by flying genitalia). Then I would give him a stern lecture about throwing things and how its only funny until someone loses an eye. Then I would hand him back his genitalia and tell him to be more careful with it, and not to play with it to much or he'll go blind.

How old are you?
 

G0S2

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
1,253
43
44
TX
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
vanelo said:
How old are you?

Well I am 30 and I will start med school this summer. I find this stuff funny. I also agree that I would prefer a doc with a sense of humor rather than one with a rod stuck up his/her's arse.
 

jamie

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
94
1
Status
I still want to giggle when I hear "phagocyte."
 

NateatUC

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2004
126
1
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Mnemonic for remembering cardiac auscultation areas (right to left): A Pervert Touched Me
 

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
8,392
36
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
TheRussian said:
The pneumonic for the cranial nerves always makes me laugh

Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Virgin Girl's Vagina And Hymen
Two more favorites from head & neck anatomy:

The branches of the external carotid:
Some Anatomists Like F***ing, Others Prefer S&M.

The modalities (Sensory vs. Motor vs. Both) of the cranial nerves:
Some Say Marry Money, But My Brother Says Big Boobs Matter More.
 

ad_sharp

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
766
0
37
You never know
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Usually this type of thread doesn't go three posts without the words gubernaculum and cremaster showing up.
 

toofache32

15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2003
3,873
36
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm 30 and I still think farting is hilarious. Especially when done properly under the sheets and I stuff my wife's head under the covers and watch her flail.
 

ThreadkillerMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
27
0
Status
toofache32 said:
I'm 30 and I still think farting is hilarious. Especially when done properly under the sheets and I stuff my wife's head under the covers and watch her flail.

Ah yes, the old Dutch oven :laugh:
 

45408

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
16,976
47
Status
Resident [Any Field]
eh, slightly related note, here's a joke my molecular prof told us

Three engineers were arguing about what kind of engineer God must be. The first said that God must be an electrical engineer. "Just think of the electrical system in the body. The nerves, the axons, the miles and miles of it all connected together. Surely God is an EE." The second said that God was definitely a mechanical engineer. "C'mon now, one look at the levers and joints in the body should convince you that God is a mechanical engineer."

The last one said that God is without a doubt a civil engineer. "Who else could route a major waste disposal system right through the main entertainment district?"
 

Elysium

Not Really An Old Beaver
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2001
2,014
5
46
Austin
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
This thread is awesome! My friends and I clown on just about everything during lecture, mostly because the PhDs are so f-ing lame that we have to do something to pass the time. Let's see - we like Sonic Hedgehog, just because it's so absurd and goes to show how ridiculous embryo truly is, the pundenel nerve (and we haven't started pelvis yet, we made one our classmates teach it to us for fun), sustentacular cells (stupid, but funny), substantia nigra ("substania nigra please!"), the fact that the brainstem and the cerberellum look like a weiner and balls in the pics from the Neuro atlas (which I giggle about every time he puts it up on the board). I could go on, but won't. You see the point.

And yes, I'm 31.
 

shardul

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
307
0
35
Mumbai
Status
TheRussian said:
The pneumonic for the cranial nerves always makes me laugh

Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Virgin Girl's Vagina And Hymen
"pneumonic"!!!!!!!!! now that one is really funny one I think u mean to see mnemonic
 

TheRussian

Life Size Mirror
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2004
488
1
Boston, MA
Visit site
Status
shardul said:
"pneumonic"!!!!!!!!! now that one is really funny one I think u mean to see mnemonic
Spelling is not my virtue and I can always fall back on the fact that english is my second language so at least I have an excuse. And I plan to use it.

But speaking of "mnemonics," if that is indeed the correct spellling, I just remembered another one for the carpal bones:

Some Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle (this one came directly from one of our anatomy profs.)
 

sapience8x

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
260
1
Status
i hate to laugh AT people but we have a professor who lectures with his eyes closed. i did'nt even notice it until one of my friends pointed it out to me. Now i can't keep a striaght face! mostly becuase I can't undertsand how someone can keep their eyes clsoed that long, talk on a boring topic and not fall asleep! :laugh:
 

hakksar

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
362
0
Fresno, California
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I crack up when the profs pronounce something funny. Like the other day the prof pronounce hemoglobin like he-mo-glahh-bin instead of he-mo-glow-bin like 6 times. Luckily I was able to bite my lip until the 6th time.

and I am 26 y/o
 

InNotOf

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
96
0
Status
This mnemonic for the bones in the hand is pretty funny:

Some Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle.
 

malumd2b

uncouth donkey
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
20
0
chicago
Status
in our anatomy someone made the mnemonic for carpals and tarsals as:

Suzie Loves The Penis That Tom Calls Hector
-every time the hand came up we'd all just laugh to ourselves and the professor couldn't understand why,

and
The Counting Crows Never Made It Long
 

Explosivo

blah!
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2002
1,071
0
In a van down by the river...
Visit site
Status
No mnemonics here but...

The term hematochezia cracks me up. I happen to be Greek and "-chezia" literally means "to take a ****." The term chezia is very commonly involved in certain Greek insults which I guess is why I crack up when I hear it. Btw, I got creative and coined the new term "polychezia"...couldn't find it on Google so i'm claiming it...had a buddy of mine in stitches when I first used it to describe his bowel habits (we were in the midst of trading insults during lab one day, in good fun)...o.k. I'll shut up now... :p

P.S. This is my first post on SDN in nearly 2 years. What a way to make a comeback.
 

shardul

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
307
0
35
Mumbai
Status
TheRussian said:
Spelling is not my virtue and I can always fall back on the fact that english is my second language so at least I have an excuse. And I plan to use it.

But speaking of "mnemonics," if that is indeed the correct spellling, I just remembered another one for the carpal bones:

Some Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle (this one came directly from one of our anatomy profs.)
hey dude chill it. dont get so defensive. I am sorry if u feel offended & for ur kind information English is my third language. Talking about mnemonic for remembering carpal bone I also used following mnemonic: She is Too Pretty Try to catch her. :)
 

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2001
5,559
13
messymedic.blogspot.com
Status
Attending Physician
hakksar said:
I crack up when the profs pronounce something funny. Like the other day the prof pronounce hemoglobin like he-mo-glahh-bin instead of he-mo-glow-bin like 6 times. Luckily I was able to bite my lip until the 6th time.

and I am 26 y/o
I had a physiology professor who talked exactly like Elmer Fudd. "And when the weceptah in the bwain is twiggahd, the neuwon..." I pissed myself, just couldn't take him seriously.
 

TheRussian

Life Size Mirror
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2004
488
1
Boston, MA
Visit site
Status
hakksar said:
I crack up when the profs pronounce something funny. Like the other day the prof pronounce hemoglobin like he-mo-glahh-bin instead of he-mo-glow-bin like 6 times. Luckily I was able to bite my lip until the 6th time.

and I am 26 y/o

Speaking of pronounciations, at my school it seems like the entire anatomy faculty pronounces duodenum with the emphasis on the DE and umbilicus with the emphasis on the LICUS. Anyone else experience this?

Also one of our biochem professors has such a thick accent that every time he mentioned apo B proteins it sounded like he was talking about Applebee's
 

thehomez66

The Extra Point is GOOD!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
112
0
36
NJ
Status
One of my professors the other day was talking about salivary glands and when he was talking about how much saliva they produce etc, but instead of saying saliva, he was saying salava. Next thing I know, my phone is vibrating with a few text messages that read nothing but “SALAVA” half the class was dying laughing and the prof was just very confused. Mispronunciations are def the best :)
 

ajnak182

MCATretaker4life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
388
1
Status
thehomez66 said:
One of my professors the other day was talking about salivary glands and when he was talking about how much saliva they produce etc, but instead of saying saliva, he was saying salava. Next thing I know, my phone is vibrating with a few text messages that read nothing but “SALAVA” half the class was dying laughing and the prof was just very confused. Mispronunciations are def the best :)
Your avatar is GENIUS. Pure genius :thumbup:
 

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2002
8,676
11
39
Travelling via handbasket
Status
Attending Physician
The word "canaliculous" makes me laugh every. single. time. And I got a great deal of enjoyment from the Simbryo porn music soundtrack.

And of course, when the course director can't stay awake in lecture I feel the need to point and laugh. If he can fall asleep, then so can I.
 

Odaroloc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
190
0
CO
I laughed every time our cardiac physio prof talked about when the ventricle "throws a premature beat."
 
OP
U

UTCobra

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
36
0
Status
Sweet Tea said:
And of course, when the course director can't stay awake in lecture I feel the need to point and laugh. If he can fall asleep, then so can I.
That cracks me up. I've seen so many profs fall asleep in class. Why do they go? :shrug:
 

Anandimide

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
11
0
Status
when my neuroanatomy prof (a woman that is probably 4'5" tall) was describing the "peripheral nervous system" in lecture and kept abbreviating it to the P-N-S. Now say it aloud and with a foreign accent...there was hardly anyone in lecture that wasn't fighting back a laugh....
 

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
3,373
6
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anandimide said:
when my neuroanatomy prof (a woman that is probably 4'5" tall) was describing the "peripheral nervous system" in lecture and kept abbreviating it to the P-N-S. Now say it aloud and with a foreign accent...there was hardly anyone in lecture that wasn't fighting back a laugh....
Okay I'm not a current med student but I had to add to this one. In grad school we would often read papers from the Procedures of the National Academy of Science (PNAS). Usually people like to say abbreviated names, but somehow nobody ever sounded that one out...always made me laugh :p
 

thehomez66

The Extra Point is GOOD!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
112
0
36
NJ
Status
ajnak182 said:
Your avatar is GENIUS. Pure genius :thumbup:
hehe, thanks alot, glad you like :thumbup:

I just thought of another funny moment, in my undergrad gen chem class, our professor had a thick asian accent and whenever he would say electron it would sound like he's saying E-rection..... "When excited the E-rections gain energy and then emit photons to fall back down" :laugh:
 

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
5,858
111
level at FL210
Status
HA! I cracked up when I read your post since I had a med school professor who sounded exactly the same! (U of Miami)

leorl said:
I had a physiology professor who talked exactly like Elmer Fudd. "And when the weceptah in the bwain is twiggahd, the neuwon..." I pissed myself, just couldn't take him seriously.
 

2TIM4:7

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
74
0
Status
jetproppilot said:
HA! I cracked up when I read your post since I had a med school professor who sounded exactly the same! (U of Miami)
Sounds exactly like my pharm professor the first day she talked and the last time i came to class. :)

The only stories i have are from my friends who go to class:
-Person flails arms after falling asleep
-Instructor speaks of '***** discharge' when talking about trichomonas vaginalis (******ed...why can't he just say purulent like all the rest of the mature world?)

etc.
 

katrinadams9

Working class hero
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
547
1
Status
Medical Student
For some reason whenever our prof says peduncle it makes me smirk. Also, does anyone else think of shampoo when they talk about the pontine sulcus?
 

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2002
8,676
11
39
Travelling via handbasket
Status
Attending Physician
2TIM4:7 said:
Sounds exactly like my pharm professor the first day she talked and the last time i came to class. :)

The only stories i have are from my friends who go to class:
-Person flails arms after falling asleep
-Instructor speaks of '***** discharge' when talking about trichomonas vaginalis (******ed...why can't he just say purulent like all the rest of the mature world?)

etc.
oh c'mon..."*****" is such a better word in that instance! :laugh:
 

katrinadams9

Working class hero
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
547
1
Status
Medical Student
Seen in the notes from a prof at Wayne State University:

Types of Astroglia
1. fibrous ASs
2. protoplasmic ASs


I'm wondering why they left out pompous ASs, bumbling ASs, drunk-off-his ASs... etc, etc.
 

TheRussian

Life Size Mirror
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2004
488
1
Boston, MA
Visit site
Status
Too lazy to check if this has been mentioned, but I find the anatomical snuff box amusing. I'm going to start using it for snorting cocaine now. :laugh: