Stuff you did for your first interview that you don't do anymore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessd3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to what kind of things you used to do at the beginning of the interview season that you don't care to do anymore. I'll start.

For my first interview I carried my suit in a garment bag and hung it up in the plane closet. Now I just fold it up any kind of way and iron it before the interview.

I used to paint/clip my fingernails. Please, no time for that anymore.

I used to type my notes and questions about each school so that I could pull it out during an interview.

What kind of things did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually looked at my AMCAS.
I read through almost all the interview feedback on sdn for that school.
I read about healthcare policy.
I reviewed a list of books I've read recently.
I cut my fingernails.

Nope, none of that anymore. Now I just wake up and put on my suit. hah
(Of course I think I'm done with interviews at this point. I did the above for maybe 2 interviews, but gave up for the last 3)

Yeah I totally understand. After awhile it feels like you are overpreparing...how many time can you actually re-read your amcas??!? Also, most of the questions are very similar... I do however read and make sure that I know everything about the school and usually have some good questions that I want answered. If your not excited about the school, then why bother to go? I do have the same mindset while entering my interviews that I really want to go there...

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: good thread. For my first few interviews, I spent all my time in airports and during flights reading over a list of possible questions and answers I had typed out previously.

I dared not bring my ipod or any novels for fear of "distraction."

I brought my laptop since I had dozens of med-school related files I planned to read beforehand. (I spent the night of my first interview watching Top Model instead...they were having reruns of Season 3!!)

I actually brought 2 suits with me, 4 shirts to choose from, and 3 pairs of dress shoes. :eek:

I woke up at 5am...it was the hotel alarm clock, which was obviously set by the previous anxious premed who stayed there!

Oh, and for the first time, I understood how depressing it was to stay in an empty hotel room by yourself.

tigress said:
I actually looked at my AMCAS.
I read through almost all the interview feedback on sdn for that school.
I read about healthcare policy.
I reviewed a list of books I've read recently.
I cut my fingernails.

Nope, none of that anymore. Now I just wake up and put on my suit. hah
(Of course I think I'm done with interviews at this point. I did the above for maybe 2 interviews, but gave up for the last 3)

Yeah, I forgot about the AMCAS. Can't remember the last time I looked at that thing.

Elastase said:
Yeah I totally understand. After awhile it feels like you are overpreparing...how many time can you actually re-read your amcas??!? Also, most of the questions are very similar... I do however read and make sure that I know everything about the school and usually have some good questions that I want answered. If your not excited about the school, then why bother to go? I do have the same mindset while entering my interviews that I really want to go there...

I certainly am still excited about every school I interview at. It just that in retrospect I probably was a little extreme in my preparation for the interview.

Same as everyone else - I didn't overprepare for my later interviews and worry if I didn't understand the healthcare systems of obscure countries.

So funny... becuase its true.

I also had my nails perfectly groomed, eyebrows waxed, every detail of my outfit perfect, read my application, had a list of possible solutions to different health policy problems....

And at this last interview I woke up 30 minutes before I had to go.. left the house with my hair still damp and popped a couple of tylenol.

and i don't think i was any less prepared.

funshine said:
Oh, and for the first time, I understood how depressing it was to stay in an empty hotel room by yourself.

omg, yes. it was my first time staying alone in a hotel room in a strange place with no friends, it was kinda scary.

funshine said:
I actually brought 2 suits with me, 4 shirts to choose from, and 3 pairs of dress shoes. :eek:

:eek: indeed :eek:

I even got a manicure before my first interviews! I also brought 2 suits, several shirts, a ton of extra crap (although i interviewed for 5 schools in one trip so I wanted to be prepared.) I had practically the entire school's website printed out, and parts highlighted with different colors depending on a) things I was interested in and attracted me to their school and b) potential questions to ask about or things to see. If I didn't have transportation planned out I had papers listing cab numbers, etc.

Now, I'm lucky to book my plan ticket farther than a week in advance, don't worry about taxi's until I am at the airport, and at the last one, even forgot an extra pair of hose (and of course, they started to run). Oh well, I have a totally different approach to interviews now that I'm in at a couple places...THEY have to impress ME just as much as I have to impress them...much more relaxed for sure!

funshine said:
:laugh: good thread. For my first few interviews, I spent all my time in airports and during flights reading over a list of possible questions and answers I had typed out previously.

I dared not bring my ipod or any novels for fear of "distraction."

I brought my laptop since I had dozens of med-school related files I planned to read beforehand. (I spent the night of my first interview watching Top Model instead...they were having reruns of Season 3!!)

Crazy, i kind of did the opposite.

Since i don't really get a lot of alone time considering I commute to a full time job, it was a nice change of pace to be alone in an empty hotel room (but yeah, it does get lonely). Definitely took long baths and nice good meals (I see each interview trip as a small vacation...i splurge on things because I make it seem that I earned this tiem alone).

Don't know if i'm anal enough to take 2 suits, 4 shirts, and 3 pairs of dress shoes. WoW! :D

Potato51 that Bill Cosby avatar is PRICELESS. :laugh:

BaylorGuy said:
Crazy, i kind of did the opposite.

Since i don't really get a lot of alone time considering I commute to a full time job, it was a nice change of pace to be alone in an empty hotel room (but yeah, it does get lonely). Definitely took long baths and nice good meals (I see each interview trip as a small vacation...i splurge on things because I make it seem that I earned this tiem alone).

Don't know if i'm anal enough to take 2 suits, 4 shirts, and 3 pairs of dress shoes. WoW! :D

:laugh: the suits were totally different and work with opposite moods. One stands out a lot--in a good way though--and the other is your typical black suit for blending-in. In retrospect, I could've made my decision on what to wear ahead of time...but it seemed logical at the time.

It was a good idea to splurge. I was just always too nervous to do that. Now, almost all my interviews are over. I will definitely take a vacation out in Cali/Oregon when and if I'm lucky enough to get interviews there!

Jon Davis said:
Potato51 that Bill Cosby avatar is PRICELESS. :laugh:

heh... thanks... it cracks me up too. wish I remembered where I got it from :)

potato51 said:
heh... thanks... it cracks me up too. wish I remembered where I got it from :)

I want to wear Denise's Gordon Gartrell dress shirt to my interview. That would be SWEET!

Jon Davis said:
I want to wear Denise's Gordon Gartrell dress shirt to my interview. That would be SWEET!

Bahahaha.... that thing was hideous.

See you next time, eatin' the pudding...