Stumbled on the best and brightest FP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

groundhog

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow, I switched insurance companies, so I had to change my primary care provider too. Boy did I get lucky. A few years years ago, I came to the conclusion that the female FP's tend to be better health care providers than their male counteparts. Now I am prepared to refine that observation. My latest hypothesis is that the older (50+) female FP's tend to be better than the younger female FP's. My new FP is an older (50+) female and she really impressed me. She is one sharp cookie. I'm figuring there is a logical reason for my finding. I bet the only reason that she was even able to get into med school back in her day was because she was something akin to the President's Medalist at a large university with a dual major in something like chemistry/zoology. I'm thinking those older female FP's are a treasure and that one would be hard pressed to find a younger female FP of similar quality because most of them are now grabbed up by the more competitive and lucrative specialities .

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in medicine? Your double-blinded study of two shows some real introspect on the entire medical profession. I'm sure I could bring up other "personal" evidence to the contrary.

Not that I am insulted, because your ramblings really have no merit, but your post smells terribly of being sexist when you have no proof otherwise.

I'm glad that you have a doctor in which you place great confidence but I think your post was placed only to be some type of passive-aggressive polarizing topic and you did just that.

Do you have any personal friends that you can share this information with because your post just doesn't warrant being on this thread?

Am I in medicine? No. But you are one who apparently discounts the input of patients when it comes to judging the effectiveness of physicians. Well, we do know that trying to compare the effectiveness of physicians to that of veterinarians is hindered by the fact that no one knows what a cow thinks about a vet's treatment.

Sexist? Could be, but I am male and I do believe my hypothesis clearly points out a possible consequence of known sexist admissions policies that were once practiced by the medical schools.

Warrant being on this thread? I would think that most future FP's would wish to explore the factors which cause some patients to believe (rightly or wrongly) that there tends to be a gender/age based difference in the quality of primary care physicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am glad you had a good experience with your PCP groundhog, but you are altogether wrong about women making better FP's than men. In fact, to say that either sex makes a better FP is to say that men are better drivers, or that women are better multitaskers. These types of attitudes have been buried for decades, so you really need to find a therapist.

PAC to DOC,
Maybe I do need therapy, but having never sought such help, I have one question. Will I receive better guidance from a female psychiatrist or male psychiatrist?

Ahhh.. ignorant AND immature. A nice combination.

Not sure about the intention of the post, but ...

I'm a male, and I almost always pick a female PCP. I think it's cause I feel like I need my mom when I'm sick ...

:)

Don't know if that's considered sexist ...

Simul

Actually, there was a study last year or the year before showing that pt's consistently rated female physicians as having more empathy then their male counterparts. Pt's are also less likely to sue female physicians.

The OP's point makes sense to me. As someone mentioned, it's important to distinguish between a sexist opinion and an opinion that's based on evidence of institutional sexism. There HAS been a higher bar for female med school applicants to leap until quite recently; it stands to reason that those who did jump it have a better vertical leap on average.

I'd also hesitate to lump all gender distinctions into the category of sexism. I'm sure that 1960s adcoms considered themselves perfectly reasonable and even socially responsible when they assumed that a woman was more likely to stay home to raise a family later in life, and therefore less likely to treat as many patients as a male counterpart. Whatever the flaws of that reasoning, I don't think that it's sexist. It certainly holds up in my experience: I know more female doctors that have retired early or chosen a no-call specialty for familial reasons than male doctors. Whether adcoms should have taken societal trends like this into account when considering female applicants in the past is one question; whether it was sexist is quite another.