Stupid AOA internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

San_Juan_Sun

Professor of Life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting all the app stuff ready, wrote the PS (thanks to several SDN folks) finally, and I'm pretty much ready to go. I was checking out my Programs-Likely-To-Apply-To list, and realized I don't really know the difference between a TRI and a special emphasis internship.

So I go to my trusty DO-Online and try to bone up. The whole thing is as clear as mud. I'm applying to 20-25 AOA surgery programs, about half of whish are TRI and half are SE. The AOA website says SE internships do not shorten the length of a residency by one year. Okay, fine. Does that mean TRIs do?

Basically, I don't care which one I go to, so long as I'm a surgeon 5 years later. If that happens with either the TRI or SE, why even bother with a distinction? Same goes for the specialty track. I swear the AOA does the stupidest, most backwards crap in the world. Everything from the residency structure to the tinking website is pitiful.

Anyways, anyone out there speak AOA-ese and know the fundamental differences between the three AOA internships? Muchas gracias in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The way I understand this is, TRI's (traditional rotating internships) is essentially your third year rotations again (1 month FP, 1 month ER, 1 month IM etc…) but instead of being a med student who doesn't know anything you're a real live doctor who doesn't know anything. The SE (special emphasis internship) is like a classic MD internship where it's all surgery all the time (you may still rotate in the ER etc, but there will be a surgery emphasis in this not seen with a TRI).

The line about "not reducing time of residency" is because there are special track internships for urology (?i think) where you get credit for both an AOA internship and a year of residency for that first year. This has the effect of reducing the actual length of your residency.

…. I think. I looked this up like two years ago when I was applying to school.

There are some surgical fast track internships too, UMDNJ-SOM comes to mind to name an example.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kubed said:
The way I understand this is, TRI’s (traditional rotating internships) is essentially your third year rotations again (1 month FP, 1 month ER, 1 month IM etc…) but instead of being a med student who doesn’t know anything you’re a real live doctor who doesn’t know anything. The SE (special emphasis internship) is like a classic MD internship where it’s all surgery all the time (you may still rotate in the ER etc, but there will be a surgery emphasis in this not seen with a TRI).

The line about “not reducing time of residency” is because there are special track internships for urology (?i think) where you get credit for both an AOA internship and a year of residency for that first year. This has the effect of reducing the actual length of your residency.

…. I think. I looked this up like two years ago when I was applying to school.
I've got nothing to add here other than I love your avatar, Kubed!!

AngryBaby said:
I've got nothing to add here other than I love your avatar, Kubed!!
Haha! I saw it on a truck BB that I frequent and I said "I must have it!"