stupid chem question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holla

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
yo guys, i know this is really stupid, but i have a fear that the mcat will put a real easy chem question regarding bonding on their..and so my question is how exacly are molecules such as H2CO3 and H2SO4 bonded. like where the hell do the Hydrogens go

Members don't see this ad.

Just think it through. Since you know that carbonic acid and sulfuric acid are acids, it makes most sense if the hydrogens are bonded to oxygens . . .

for sulphuring acid, sulphur's the central atom, surrounded by the four oxygens. two of those have hydrogens attached to them.
because there are four oxygens, its easy to give up a hydrogen since there can be major resonance going on, hence its a strong acid

HO---C==O
l
OH

does that look right for carbonic acid? it seems a little off for some reason

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by rCubed
HO---C==O
l
OH

does that look right for carbonic acid? it seems a little off for some reason

ughhh..its not coming out right...lets just say that the OH on the second line is bonded to the carbon

wouldnt the C be bonded to the 3 O molecules..instead of just 2

oh aight yeah that's what i thought too..thanks guys

O
II
H-O-C-O-H
(H2CO3)

O
II
H-O-S-O-H
II
O
(H2SO4)

If you see these tyoes of Q's remeber to satisfy the octets, formal charge rules and bonding rules.

Well, for some reson the post gets reformatted when you submit it. :confused: Anyway, you have the idea.

Well I don't know if in General Chem we were tought about Co-ordinate bonds, that is what happens in Carbonic and Sulphuric Acid, it also is the same in Nitric Acid.