Stupid F***ing Religion Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratiocinate

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm taking several upper-level science courses this semester and am absolutely loving them. They are extremely interesting to me and I am getting to know my professors well. Right now I have 2 A+s and an A in the other. I'm also taking an upper level psychology and upper level english course. Again, both As so far. I decided that I would register for a freshman level religion course to be a "filler" to help my GPA. Big mistake. It turns out that the teacher is a psycho who asks ridiculous multiple choice questions. She purposefully adds ambiguity to make the questions difficult. Not challenging, just at the mercy of luck. I literally emailed her, and she said that the course involves making educated guesses. I currently have a B- average. In order to get an A, I would probably have to spend literally 2-3 hours per day of reading this nonsense religion bullsh*t. I'm also preparing to take the MCAT in November, so I need to be preparing for this.

So... my question: Should I drop the course and get a "W"? Should I just join my professor's idiocy and make religion the intensive subject of the next 3 months' reading? Should I just accept a B?

Sorry for the aggravated tone of my message. I am just extremely frustrated considering that I took this class as an easy filler, only to realize the exact opposite.

Thanks,
Ratiocinate

Members don't see this ad.

If you're worried about the effect of one course on your GPA, then you're not worried about anything.

You said you're taking 3 sciences, 1 psych, 1 english, and that religion class. That's at least 18 credits. Your mcat is next month, so dropping the religion class is a good idea solely bc it will free up time for mcat study.

1 W isn't a deal breaker

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got 2 Ws and jm drowning in II. One W will do nothing.

Hey Guys,

I'm taking several upper-level science courses this semester and am absolutely loving them. They are extremely interesting to me and I am getting to know my professors well. Right now I have 2 A+s and an A in the other. I'm also taking an upper level psychology and upper level english course. Again, both As so far. I decided that I would register for a freshman level religion course to be a "filler" to help my GPA. Big mistake. It turns out that the teacher is a psycho who asks ridiculous multiple choice questions. She purposefully adds ambiguity to make the questions difficult. Not challenging, just at the mercy of luck. I literally emailed her, and she said that the course involves making educated guesses. I currently have a B- average. In order to get an A, I would probably have to spend literally 2-3 hours per day of reading this nonsense religion bullsh*t. I'm also preparing to take the MCAT in November, so I need to be preparing for this.

So... my question: Should I drop the course and get a "W"? Should I just join my professor's idiocy and make religion the intensive subject of the next 3 months' reading? Should I just accept a B?

Sorry for the aggravated tone of my message. I am just extremely frustrated considering that I took this class as an easy filler, only to realize the exact opposite.

Thanks,
Ratiocinate

Why didn't you ratiocinate beforehand that taking a course in which you have no interest is not a good idea to be a "filler" to help your GPA?

Although, you probably did ratiocinate beforehand that taking a "nonsense religion bullsh*t" course will help in diversifying your education and in helping you appreciate the diverse pool of patients that you will be treating one day. :)

Read. Maybe you'll learn how to talk to your future religious patients.

Reactions: 1 users
Take the W. It shows up on your transcripts, but it doesn't go into your AMCAS GPA.

It's not like you're taking a W in one of your reqs. Part of the W is so the school can still charge you for the units.

W... but not because of the B-, because you are prepping for your MCAT.

It's not a big deal, but seems like your attitude with the class might have something to do with it. You clearly don't like religious studies very much, so why would you take it to begin with? Take the W and learn from it. Good luck on your MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
This is why god created a great website known as ratemyprofessors.com

Reactions: 2 users
I have 2 W's and had multiple interviews already. One W won't kill you. Also, don't ever take a class that you hate just because you think it'll be easy.

There's a lot to be learned about different religions and how that can apply to ethics, especially in medicine. Teacher might suck but you might still get something meaningful out of the class if you take the time to read the material (or even do outside readings yourself). There's a great bioethics series in CMAJ about addressing different religious beliefs in the medical setting. Here are some: http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/collection/religion_spirituality

If you have any idea about the different religions out there, these papers are a wonderful read.

Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Ratiocinate

In regards to the bolded items: Good luck with the MCAT.

In regards to the italicized and underlined: I don't get it. You said that this course is "not challenging," but then you state that you enrolled thinking that it's an "easy filler, only to realize the exact opposite."

To address your post, withdraw. Why are you taking a full course load while preparing for your MCAT? Have you taken a practice test to assess your readiness for the exam? It's better to overestimate the MCAT than underestimate the MCAT. I know plenty of smart, 4.0 students and graduates that had or are currently having the hardest time scoring 30 or above on the MCAT. It's an exam that you're better off overestimating.