Stupid Kid wanting to be a Doc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gorillaRN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm an RN in Columbia, MO and a lifelong (except I went to college in Pittsburg, KS) Missouri resident.

My first two years of college were a time of "experiencing life", in which I partied too much and didn't study enough as a Chemisty Major. I recieved 2 D's (Chemisty II and Organic Chemisty II). I did well in all of my other sciences (Biology, A&P, MicroBio). But my 3rd year I switched to Nursing. I have a BSN now and a 3.36 gpa (The GPA my last 3 years was a 3.78 though). I plan on retaking both the classes I recieved D's in (I work for Univ of Missouri Hospital so classes are 75% off :)) as well as finishing up all the pre-reqs.

I am taking my MCAT in January and need to know a score that could get me into Med-School (and I am not picky, DO and MD are the same to me). I don't care if the school is an Ivy league or whichever, because everyone that leaves med-school is called the same thing..Doctor. I know that my experience as an RN in a critical care unit (I work in Cardiac ICU) will help and my list of humanitarian work will help as well. And I think that if you retake your classes you don't do well in, the new grade replaces the old on your GPA at least.

Any advice and help would be welcomed. I plan on applying (and this is a ways away and after I recieve my MCAT score) to A.T. Still (Kirksville, MO), University of Missouri, Kansas City University of Medical and Biosciences, University of Iowa, Creighton, St. Louis University and every D.O. School known to man. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm an RN in Columbia, MO and a lifelong (except I went to college in Pittsburg, KS) Missouri resident.

My first two years of college were a time of "experiencing life", in which I partied too much and didn't study enough as a Chemisty Major. I recieved 2 D's (Chemisty II and Organic Chemisty II). I did well in all of my other sciences (Biology, A&P, MicroBio). But my 3rd year I switched to Nursing. I have a BSN now and a 3.36 gpa (The GPA my last 3 years was a 3.78 though). I plan on retaking both the classes I recieved D's in (I work for Univ of Missouri Hospital so classes are 75% off :)) as well as finishing up all the pre-reqs.

I am taking my MCAT in January and need to know a score that could get me into Med-School (and I am not picky, DO and MD are the same to me). I don't care if the school is an Ivy league or whichever, because everyone that leaves med-school is called the same thing..Doctor. I know that my experience as an RN in a critical care unit (I work in Cardiac ICU) will help and my list of humanitarian work will help as well. And I think that if you retake your classes you don't do well in, the new grade replaces the old on your GPA at least.

Any advice and help would be welcomed. I plan on applying (and this is a ways away and after I recieve my MCAT score) to A.T. Still (Kirksville, MO), University of Missouri, Kansas City University of Medical and Biosciences, University of Iowa, Creighton, St. Louis University and every D.O. School known to man. Thanks guys.

For allopathic schools, if you retake a class both grades are used to calculate GPA. For osteopathic schools I believe the most recent grade is used.

Average score on the MCATs is 25 - 27. To be seriously considered by most schools, you need a score of about 30. Retaking the classes is a good idea to boost your GPA just a little. You might want to ask about how your GPA would be calculated though just to clarify. For example, some schools take the average of the two grades.

For DO schools the mean acceptee MCAT is 24 and the mean acceptee GPA is 3.4.