stupid mistake

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by nontrad, Aug 29, 1999.

1. nontrad

nontrad New Member

Hi everyone. I was a new student at NYCOM. Prior to the white coat ceremony last friday, I withdrew from the school. I have a family member who suffered from a stroke a couple of weeks ago. This created a lot of chaos in the family. For fear of not having enough time to study, I withdrew. Now I feel that it was the dumbest thing I've ever done since I wanted to be a doctor terribly. Does anyone think that I can go in Monday and take back my withdrawal or do you think my seat has been given to someone else on the waiting list already?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. navydoc1971

navydoc1971 New Member

If you truly wish to become an osteopathic physician then I would get in to see the Dean ASAP. I would explain the circumstances under which you made your decision. Perhaps you could return this year. If not this year, maybe they would consider your withdrawl as a "Leave of Absence". This would surely save you time and money, since you shouldn't have to re-apply next year. Good Luck.

4. Satellite

Satellite Member
    10+ Year Member

I would think at the very least they would let you have a seat next fall. Perhaps they will even let you return on Monday.

Good Luck!

5. nontrad

nontrad New Member

Thanks for the input. I will go to the dean the first thing in the morning tomorrow and explain my situation to him. Hopefully, he'll give me a second chance. It truly makes me feel good to see replies to my post. I will let you guys know how things turn out.

6. nontrad

nontrad New Member

Hey guys, NYCOM took me back. They showed a lot of class by being very understanding. On a happier note, I was told that after I withdrew, they contacted 6 students on the waiting list not thinking all of them would show up this morning. Quess what? They all came in and were given a seat in the class of 2003 including myself. Feels good to know my mishap gave others a chance to be future D.O.

7. Satellite

Satellite Member
    10+ Year Member

Now that is cool!

8. miglo

miglo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah that is VERY cool! Good luck in medschool!

Miglo
    ?COM Class of 2004? [​IMG]

9. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Non-trad...CONGRATUALATIONS!! Isn't it wonderful to know there are still understanding people out there running the show?!

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

10. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow! I'm impressed but not at all surprised! Congratulations! Say "Hi" to my cousin for me (another member of the NYCOM Class of 2003).

Tim of New York City.

11. KUMC_MD

KUMC_MD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

wow... 6 ppl ... fate.... stroke... saddness... happiness... that would make a great movie... how did everyone turn out?? :)

12. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :rolleyes:
    I'm sure they're all residents by now. Stop dredging up old topics and study so that maybe you can get into med school some day.