"stupid" pre meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

classicalmusic

We're not all stupid. But i just met some really stupid ones.

It was only about two months ago that I really decided to pursue medical school. Until then I was really heading for pharmacy school. I'm applying to med schools my last year in undergrad.

I admit, I am no expert. But, I have been shadowing a doc, reading alot here and have learned about the MCAT, SMP's ("if you messed up in undergrad"-and honestly this seems like something good to do during a glide year). I have not done alot of the clinical volunteering that some of you have done, but I have: volunteered with people learning english as a second language, taught piano using my own curriculum. I also am active in a church music group.

Anyways, I went to an "orientation" to this new university I am transfering to for another three years. While waiting to verify our schedules with a biology advisor I heard some ridiculous comments:

"You're taking anthropology classes! You should take just science, thats pre med stuff"

"Why did you work in a pharmacy, shouldn't you volunteer in a hospital."(I have a volunteer thing set up already, Im looking forward to trying it out....its at a home for the elderly. 3-4 hrs/week)

I also met several people who were planning on just applying to one medical school.

Again, Im not claiming to be some expert know it all "premed." One person didn't even know what the MCAT was.

Members don't see this ad.

better them be stupid than you!

classicalmusic said:

It was only about two months ago that I really decided to pursue medical school. Until then I was really heading for pharmacy school. I'm applying to med schools my last year in undergrad.

I admit, I am know expert. But, I have been shadowing a doc, reading alot here and have learned about the MCAT, SMP's ("if you messed up in undergrad"-and honestly this seems like something good to do during a glide year). I have not done alot of the clinical volunteering that some of you have done, but I have: volunteered with people learning english as a second language, taught piano using my own curriculum. I also am active in a church music group.

Anyways, I went to an "orientation" to this new university I am transfering to for another three years. While waiting to verify our schedules with a biology advisor I heard some ridiculous comments:

"You're taking anthropology classes! You should take just science, thats pre med stuff"

"Why did you work in a pharmacy, shouldn't you volunteer in a hospital."(I have a volunteer thing set up already, Im looking forward to trying it out....its at a home for the elderly. 3-4 hrs/week)

I also met several people who were planning on just applying to one medical school.

Again, Im not claiming some expert no it all "premed." One person didn't even know what the MCAT was.

I lost you at "I admit, I am know expert."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
classicalmusic said:
Again, Im not claiming some expert no it all "premed."
Boy, you got that right.

I'm not one of those to point out spelling errors, but given the context of your rant, I couldn't pass it up. I'm not trying to be a no it all.

notdeadyet said:
Boy, you got that right.

I'm not one of those to point out spelling errors, but given the context of your rant, I couldn't pass it up. I'm not trying to be a no it all.

HAHAHA Hes got his "Knows" mixed up

WantsThisBad said:
I lost you at "I admit, I am know expert."

I was still there with him, until:
classicalmusic said:
Again, Im not claiming some expert no it all "premed." .

What would Freud say, dayamn...
No real comment on thread.

notdeadyet said:
Boy, you got that right.

It's okay -- he misused "know" in the third paragraph, so it all evens out.

OP -- Absolutely be sure to have someone review your PS when you get to that stage. Good luck.

Aww, fixed. Now our self-satisfaction is ruined.

classicalmusic said:

I admit, I am no expert. But, I have been shadowing a doc, reading alot here and have learned about the MCAT, SMP's ("if you messed up in undergrad"-and honestly this seems like something good to do during a glide year). I have not done alot of the clinical volunteering that some of you have done, but I have: volunteered with people learning english as a second language, taught piano using my own curriculum. I also am active in a church music group.

Again, Im not claiming some expert no it all "premed." One person didn't even know what the MCAT was.

Is it just me or are those questions not really that ridiculous? The first one is a tad on the ignorant side, but it's not really a big deal. And the second one is a legitimate question. How were they to know you had that volunteer gig lined up?

Ok...let’s stop this. I will reply for real now. Yes...you will meet a lot of people who say they are "Pre Med" but have no idea what that even means. I know a girl who decided one day during her freshman year of college to be an OBGYN. She immediately changed her face book to say her major was and I quote, "Pre-Med/OBGYN".....SHES A FRESHMAN!!!!! Ok I’m done.

Nothing personal, OP, but folks who regard other premeds as "stupid" make my neck start to tingle. It sort of answers that question of "Where are you coming from?" when you meet these smug, superior physicians.

Who are, by the way, the reason many "stupid" people (i.e.: those who didn't go to med school) hate doctors.

WantsThisBad said:
Ok...let’s stop this. I will reply for real now. Yes...you will meet a lot of people who say they are "Pre Med" but have no idea what that even means. I know a girl who decided one day during her freshman year of college to be an OBGYN. She immediately changed her face book to say her major was and I quote, "Pre-Med/OBGYN".....SHES A FRESHMAN!!!!! Ok I’m done.

I've heard people say their major was "medicine" when I first started at a CC. Other people said they were going to "transfer" to the medical school or pharmacy school at a state university.

Members don't see this ad :)
notdeadyet said:
Nothing personal, OP, but folks who regard other premeds as "stupid" make my neck start to tingle. It sort of answers that question of "Where are you coming from?" when you meet these smug, superior physicians.

Who are, by the way, the reason many "stupid" people (i.e.: those who didn't go to med school) hate doctors.

Agreed. Everyone learns about the application process at different stages and at different stages. I know there was somethings that I didn't know about being a pre-med until too late in the game. For example, I thought I had to major in a science major until it was too late to change.

classicalmusic said:
I've heard people say their major was "medicine" when I first started at a CC. Other people said they were going to "transfer" to the medical school or pharmacy school at a state university.

The good thing is, if these people actually go to pursue medicine, they will find out what its all about. It’s not like if you think you're just going to waltz into med school, that you're actually going to. At least we don’t need to worry about that.

classicalmusic said:
Dude (if you're a woman, I apologize, but your condescending attitude just screams "male" to me):

You are right now transferring to a 4 year school from a community college. You joined SDN one week ago to mention that you were just recently considering medical school as an option. In fact, in your first posts you were asking if your ECs were appropriate for medical school.

How seasoned can you be about pre-meds and the like? Might want to, say, take premed classes with them before you judge that they're "stupid".

well this is my first post here. OP....i think you should learn some humility. People learn about the admissions process at different levels. My family doctor did not take any pre med classes until AFTER undergrad. He started med school at 27.

your silence suggests that maybe you quit SDN? It says you are online.

Good luck to you!

WantsThisBad said:

Oh yeah and that same broad didnt even know that her school had a college of health professions within it, nor did she know what a pre med advisor was!

i remember this one kid in my gen. chem class, he was soooo relaxed and chill, he was like an upperclassman who had always been premed, he was like as soon as i pass general chemistry 1, im a be a neurosurgeon, iwas like theres more classes and gen chem 1 is prolly the easiest of them all...

At an awards banquet in high school for the 'top' of each school in the district, I don't know HOW many people (including our salutatorian) said that they were going to major in 'pre-med'. First of all, a major isn't offered in pre-med at most schools... it's just an emphasis. Secondly, why would you want to major in it anyway? You should have some other major to fall back on if med school doesn't work out, or you change your mind about going.

The valedictorian at our school was sitting at the table with me, and he looked over and was like 'you can't major in pre-med, can you?' after about the sixth person that said that.

When I was taking the MCAT, me and the person next to me talked. She was a nurse who went to her dentist the night before the MCAT to have an emergency root-canal procedure done. She told me it hurts so bad, and she took some Vicodin right before the test. Right before we started the verbal section ( maybe 2 hrs after the start of the test), I saw her pop a couple more of those.

The usual adult dosage (for the 650 mg/7.5 mg tablet) is one tablet every four to six hours as needed for pain.

I sure hope she knows how narcotic analgesic meds affect test-taking skills.

I'm 24. I majored in music. I did a little research at NIH and my PI said, "You should be a doctor... a real one!" I said, "Okay!" I thought that I could just take the MCAT and go to med school. Who knew that med school had pre-reqs that weren't "History of Western Music" or "Vocal Performance?"

And so, back to school for me. Stupid questions I have asked over the past year include, but are not limited to:
"Is a 13 verbal good?"
"What do you mean I need clinical experience?!"
"Am I doing research or am I lab tech? What's the difference?"
"So, my undergrad GPA doesn't count anymore, right?"
"What's a glide year?"
"What the crap do you mean, my AMCAS isn't verified yet?? I sent it in yesterday!"

I think I get extra-stupid-bonus points for asking them to my students, who are all more well-seasoned pre-meds than I am.

In any event, let's all remember we came from different places to get here, and I'm very grateful to the people who are tolerant of me. :oops:

Law2Doc said:
When in doubt, put a dic(k) in it, I guess. :laugh:
Fighting... urge.... to make... low-brow... joke...

"Stupid" pre-meds do, in fact, exist. Some of them are even quite good students. Perhaps you know some of them: the ones who have no common sense, and lack critical thinking skills.

Reflect on your fellow pre-meds for a moment, and you'll be able to come up with at least a couple of them. Now, really, would you want them to be treating you in case of emergency? I thought not.

A close friend of mine teaches Biochemistry Lab at a major research institution in the northeast. He encounters this type of student all of the time, and is actually scared of what he sees heading off to medical school.

His solution, which I find amusing, is to keep a laminated card in his wallet with a list of names of former students on it that he deemed appallingly dull. Across the top of this list reads "In case of emergency, I decline to be treated by:"

Watch out, not everyone out there is a rocket surgeon. Some even manage to slip through the cracks and get quite far...

classicalmusic said:

Again, Im not claiming to be some expert know it all "premed." One person didn't even know what the MCAT was.

To tell you the truth I think this is exactly why acceptance rates at any one school are only about 5 - 10%...because of people like this...I am not an expert either but I've met people like that...one guy was taking the second semester physics class with me at another institution this summer other than the University and his idea was that he was going to just get a C in the class (we were talking the last week of class about this) becuase the grade wouldn't transfer to the University...man, was he surprised to hear that even though the grade doesn't transfer and become part of your GPA at the Univ. but the medical schools would still see what he got in that course. I knew another girl who thought she didn't have to retake her general chemistry 1 lab because she got a 1.5 in the class which is good enough for passing at our school to earn the credit...call me crazy but I think all pre-req. chem classes for medical school have a minimum of 2.0 for each class.

Hari Kari said:
"Stupid" pre-meds do, in fact, exist. Some of them are even quite good students. Perhaps you know some of them: the ones who have no common sense, and lack critical thinking skills.

Reflect on your fellow pre-meds for a moment, and you'll be able to come up with at least a couple of them. Now, really, would you want them to be treating you in case of emergency? I thought not.

A close friend of mine teaches Biochemistry Lab at a major research institution in the northeast. He encounters this type of student all of the time, and is actually scared of what he sees heading off to medical school.

His solution, which I find amusing, is to keep a laminated card in his wallet with a list of names of former students on it that he deemed appallingly dull. Across the top of this list reads "In case of emergency, I decline to be treated by:"

Watch out, not everyone out there is a rocket surgeon. Some even manage to slip through the cracks and get quite far...

There are rocket surgeons? Right on! ;)

Congratulations. You have observed that the world is full of stupid people. Welcome to kindergarten. :laugh:

Hari Kari said:

And I bet you that TA thought he was HILARIOUS too....As Jackie said, stupid people are everywhere. I think pre-meds tend to be more cognisant of stupidness, and as a result look down upon it more. I think since randomness and luck plays such a huge part in the process, we're all a bit bitter/jealous when we see people being "stupid" out of fear that they may in fact cost us a seat in medical school.

jackieMD2007 said:
Congratulations. You have observed that the world is full of stupid people. Welcome to kindergarten. :laugh:

You eat the sand on your side of the box, I'll eat the sand on my side, and no one will eat from the middle. Deal?

ADeadLois said:
And I bet you that TA thought he was HILARIOUS too....As Jackie said, stupid people are everywhere. I think pre-meds tend to be more cognisant of stupidness, and as a result look down upon it more. I think since randomness and luck plays such a huge part in the process, we're all a bit bitter/jealous when we see people being "stupid" out of fear that they may in fact cost us a seat in medical school.

For clarification, he didn't intend it as a joke, and was quite serious. Also, he was the professor.

Hari Kari said:
You eat the sand on your side of the box, I'll eat the sand on my side, and no one will eat from the middle. Deal?

I'm in the middle, if you haven't noticed, so please don't inch your ways in.

P.S. That professor in question must have meant it as a joke to some extent... No?

dopaminesurge said:
I'm in the middle, if you haven't noticed, so please don't inch your ways in.

P.S. That professor in question must have meant it as a joke to some extent... No?

Sorry, I didn't see your flag...

Nope, not kidding at all. Perhaps one of the nicest people I've ever met as well.

I think it's stupid to think that you have accurately assessed the intelligence and common sense of another individual during a limited and highly specific interaction such as biochemistry lab. It's unbelievably arrogant and narrow-minded to think that someone may not be a good physician based upon such an interaction. And some of the brightest, most undeniably intelligent med students with stellar pre-clinical grades end up being rather dull in the clinical years... and not because they lack common sense. But who is to say that once their training is complete that they won't make a great doctor?

And who gives if some dude doesn't know what the MCAT is... 'cause he'll find out eventually. Good for him since he'll actually not spend as much time stressing over it.

Ambs said:
I think it's stupid to think that you have accurately assessed the intelligence and common sense of another individual during a limited and highly specific interaction such as biochemistry lab. It's unbelievably arrogant and narrow-minded to think that someone may not be a good physician based upon such an interaction. And some of the brightest, most undeniably intelligent med students with stellar pre-clinical grades end up being rather dull in the clinical years... and not because they lack common sense. But who is to say that once their training is complete that they won't make a great doctor?

Let's see here...
Biochem Lab ~10 hrs/week x 14 weeks =140 hours total.
140 hours / 50 students in the class = ~3 hours of one on one interaction + seeing all written work, and observing peer interaction. Perhaps it's not so limited after all...
That's more than enough contact time to compose a well thought out letter of recommendation, I'd say.

You're exactly right, these are precisely the sort of people that will falter in their clinical years because their problem solving and deductive reasoning skills are poor. Unfortunately, by this time, the schools have too much money invested in them and they are too far along in the program to drop. Guess who gets unleashed on the world then? Pray for mediocrity.

Not everything in this world can be learned, some things are just simply innate. Case in point is that neither one of us are star professional athletes. I can be trained to shoot a basketball, but not everyone gets to be Michael Jordan.

Hari Kari said:
Not everything in this world can be learned, some things are just simply innate. Case in point is that neither one of us are star professional athletes. I can be trained to shoot a basketball, but not everyone gets to be Michael Jordan.
Ain't that the truth. Despite many of our peer's education, they still fail to realize that people are not born equal.

When it comes down to it, not only are we born different in every sense of the wordl our civilization NEEDS inequality to thrive. And by some ingenious evolutionary mechanism mother nature has ensured an unequal distribution of talents by making people find commonalities attractive to people...imagine that.

Hari Kari said:
Let's see here...
Biochem Lab ~10 hrs/week x 14 weeks =140 hours total.
140 hours / 50 students in the class = ~3 hours of one on one interaction + seeing all written work, and observing peer interaction. Perhaps it's not so limited after all...
That's more than enough contact time to compose a well thought out letter of recommendation, I'd say.

You're exactly right, these are precisely the sort of people that will falter in their clinical years because their problem solving and deductive reasoning skills are poor. Unfortunately, by this time, the schools have too much money invested in them and they are too far along in the program to drop. Guess who gets unleashed on the world then? Pray for mediocrity.

In my opinion, it is still a very limited environment. You still can't make such huge assumptions and arrogant assertions on someone else's intellectual capacity. I'm simply saying that it is going too far to say that another individual will be a horrible or mediocre doctor based upon this interaction.

And you're wrong; by their clinical years, the students themselves have invested too much money on the school. Not the other way around.

Further, becoming a physician with reasonsing skills is not something "innate." You go through substancial education and training until you can write your first order.

My classmates come from a wide array of experiences, educations, talents, and have different personalities, learning speeds, attitudes, clinical skills. We can't predict each other's future potential and caliber as a physician. It's just too arrogant to assume that one can make such judgments.

julie29524 said:
When I was taking the MCAT, me and the person next to me talked. She was a nurse who went to her dentist the night before the MCAT to have an emergency root-canal procedure done. She told me it hurts so bad, and she took some Vicodin right before the test. Right before we started the verbal section ( maybe 2 hrs after the start of the test), I saw her pop a couple more of those.

The usual adult dosage (for the 650 mg/7.5 mg tablet) is one tablet every four to six hours as needed for pain.

I sure hope she knows how narcotic analgesic meds affect test-taking skills.

i like her. hope one of them sits next to me.

Ambs said:
In my opinion, it is still a very limited environment. You still can't make such huge assumptions and arrogant assertions on someone else's intellectual capacity. I'm simply saying that it is going too far to say that another individual will be a horrible or mediocre doctor based upon this interaction.

And you're wrong; by their clinical years, the students themselves have invested too much money on the school. Not the other way around.

Further, becoming a physician with reasonsing skills is not something "innate." You go through substancial education and training until you can write your first order.

My classmates come from a wide array of experiences, educations, talents, and have different personalities, learning speeds, attitudes, clinical skills. We can't predict each other's future potential and caliber as a physician. It's just too arrogant to assume that one can make such judgments.

You're right in a sense. In the sense that you can never *truly* know a person fully or what anyone or anything is going to be like in the future. But we were given the gift of deductive reasoning for a purpose, and I think after the amount of time spent in that lab with the students, that teacher probably had a fairly good estimate of what the person was or wasn't capable of.

Hari Kari said:

And that's why adcoms exist. They are the ones who determine who is fit for medicine and who is stupid. It's a buyer's market...adcoms can be very selective and choose the people they feel are most fit for success.

Medical schools take people who they believe will be good doctors. It's in their best interests to make good doctors, because good doctors will then give them money. If medical schools do not graduate good doctors, then their credentials and applicants will drop and they lose tuition money AND alumni donations.

It's not up to your biochem prof to decide who is fit and who is unfit for medicine. Medical schools have people more equipped to do this.

You guys just made me think about this poor guy i see in all my classes...he tries like hell...studies all the time.....really nice dude.....but the guy guy can't even get a B in any of the general science classes. I feel bad for the guy, i can tell he has the pressures of his family's hopes for him and try as he may i just don't think he's gonna make it. It made me realize that if your blessed with the talent to try for your dream then thanking god and trying to help others along the way is the best thing we can do.

ADeadLois said:
And that's why adcoms exist. They are the ones who determine who is fit for medicine and who is stupid. It's a buyer's market...adcoms can be very selective and choose the people they feel are most fit for success.

Medical schools take people who they believe will be good doctors. It's in their best interests to make good doctors, because good doctors will then give them money. If medical schools do not graduate good doctors, then their credentials and applicants will drop and they lose tuition money AND alumni donations.

It's not up to your biochem prof to decide who is fit and who is unfit for medicine. Medical schools have people more equipped to do this.

And the people who determine who is fit for medical school and who isn't... where do they get their information from? Well, the grades, tests, etc. (statistics basically) of the person, a personal interview with the person, *AND* from people who have worked with or taught that person in the past- because after all, they do have some experience with the student in question.

Okay, this is a silly debate. Just let the adcoms do what they have to do, and I'll go back to the allopathic forum.

Ambs said:

Speak that I may see thee. -Ben Jonson
Every day, you, me, and everyone else make judgements about others, however small. It's simply unavoidable. One such assessment of another human being comes from conversing with them. One can readily discern their education level, and in a matter of minutes, make judgements on their intelligence level.

It's the school's perogative as to whether a student continues on with the program, not the other way around. Quite simply, having students not complete the program looks bad, and they try to avoid it. Education is a highly profitable business.

A physician who can perform a differential diagnosis from information presented to him, following a standard procedure that he has learned, has established himself as adequate. One who can think "outside the box" and solve difficult cases through the assimilation of seemingly disparate pieces of information is gifted. That is where innate abilities come into play.

First, I wish you, and your classmates, the very best of luck in the future. Secondly, adcomms make these same judgements that you decry, with even less contact than the three hours plus that I mentioned. Most members vote on a candidate based on the impressions that they are given by two members of the committee, without even having met the person in question.

OP...."classicalmusic"....have anything to contribute?

By the way, I really like classical music. Mozart is my favorite composer, and I compose myself as well.

ADeadLois said:

I'm with you, wholeheartedly, through the first two paragraphs. Then, you lose me.

It is entirely within his power, as a consumer, to make asessments about who he feels comfortable with treating him. That's all that this amounts to. That's all that LORs really state- whether the writer would, or wouldn't, entrust their health, and that of their family to the candidate in question. This is what adcomms rely on to make their best predictions for the success or failure of the candidate; not one of them has a perfectly functioning crystal ball. Mistakes are made by these people, regardless of how much others deify them. At the end of the day they are merely human, after all.

musicalMDorDO said:
OP...."classicalmusic"....have anything to contribute?

By the way, I really like classical music. Mozart is my favorite composer, and I compose myself as well.

I don't think he'll be back... it's humiliating to be bashing "stupid" people while simultaneously mixing your “know’s” and “no’s”. Homonyms can be confusing though.

:cool:

Ambs said:
Okay, this is a silly debate. Just let the adcoms do what they have to do, and I'll go back to the allopathic forum.

If you found it to be such a silly debate, why, exactly did you feel the need to enter into it, and stir the pot? You obviously felt as though you had something worthwhile to say, and did so. Instead of waiting for others to also share their views, which is the enitre point of a forum, you choose to leave the discussion, having deemed that it's silly? Was that a judgement? I'd never have expected something so atrocious from you. Guess I'll have to learn to live with disappointment. I'm gonna go have a popsicle to console myself.