stupid question about GRE scores... applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillips101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
nevermind...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks, but that barely says anything I don't already know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this is a question with an obvious answer, but :

1) When are you supposed to send in your GRE scores, after you submit your application, before, or does it not matter?
Same goes with transcript.

2) I took the GRE 2 years ago, and since then, my percentile has changed, so has the scoring system. Should I report my percentile when I took them, or the current percentile? Should I report the old system, or new system?

1) Follow the directions on the website for each site. For example, if they say to send it all together, send it all together. The test scores have to come separately. If you call and ask for them to be sent before, you might just want to give the admissions coordinator a heads up to say that those components are coming before the rest of your application. I think at most places, they will just start a file for you as the pieces come in.

It has been awhile since I applied, but I understand that now much of this (even transcripts) can now be done electronically, which sounds much easier.

2) I hope that you realize that your percentile did NOT change. You got your percentile on the form of the test that you took at the time. Anything new is related to later forms of the exam. Your percentile is not a changeable number. You would be misrepresenting yourself if you said it had.

I think at most places, they will just start a file for you as the pieces come in.

To add to this, I think I remember a department chair that I was talking to mention that they had to keep all of the related materials for something like 2 years.

1) Follow the directions on the website for each site. For example, if they say to send it all together, send it all together. The test scores have to come separately. If you call and ask for them to be sent before, you might just want to give the admissions coordinator a heads up to say that those components are coming before the rest of your application. I think at most places, they will just start a file for you as the pieces come in.

It has been awhile since I applied, but I understand that now much of this (even transcripts) can now be done electronically, which sounds much easier.

2) I hope that you realize that your percentile did NOT change. You got your percentile on the form of the test that you took at the time. Anything new is related to later forms of the exam. Your percentile is not a changeable number. You would be misrepresenting yourself if you said it had.

Thank you for everyone's responses.

I don't mean to bump my own post...but hopefully this information can help someone who may have the same question as I did.

I called ETS, and yes your percentile DOES change. Your raw score will not, but your percentile is adjusted within a 3-year period every June based on recent test takers. Both my general GRE and psych GRE percentiles have changed, mostly by only 1%, but my AW increased by as much as >5%, which is pretty significant if this was applied to the quant/verbal score.
When you input your scores in the application, make sure to log in online and check your current percentile. A google search (which I did after posting this thread) will show many people have had the same "problem" where they report their original percentile and found out afterwards it has changed. Of course this isn't going to make or break your app, since ETS assured me that if there are ever any discrepancy, they will explain to the schools...but just to let everyone know.

Also, to Pragma: I originally asked that question honestly, with no intentions of misrepresenting my score. From my experience here as well as talking to a certain admissions coordinator, it seems whenever the question of GPA/GRE comes up, people automatically assume malicious intent. I honestly can care less if my percentile increased/decreased by a couple of percentiles...but please give people the benefit of the doubt when they are simply trying to understand how to navigate the application process.

I don't mean to bump my own post...but hopefully this information can help someone who may have the same question as I did.

I called ETS, and yes your percentile DOES change. Your raw score will not, but your percentile is adjusted within a 3-year period every June based on recent test takers. Both my general GRE and psych GRE percentiles have changed, mostly by only 1%, but my AW increased by as much as >5%, which is pretty significant if this was applied to the quant/verbal score.
When you input your scores in the application, make sure to log in online and check your current percentile. A google search (which I did after posting this thread) will show many people have had the same "problem" where they report their original percentile and found out afterwards it has changed. Of course this isn't going to make or break your app, since ETS assured me that if there are ever any discrepancy, they will explain to the schools...but just to let everyone know.

Also, to Pragma: I originally asked that question honestly, with no intentions of misrepresenting my score. From my experience here as well as talking to a certain admissions coordinator, it seems whenever the question of GPA/GRE comes up, people automatically assume malicious intent. I honestly can care less if my percentile increased/decreased by a couple of percentiles...but please give people the benefit of the doubt when they are simply trying to understand how to navigate the application process.

I didn't assume malicious intent, I thought I was clarifying. What about my post would make it seem that I did? I wouldn't mind the benefit of the doubt, either.

This is news to me that your percentile changes. Thanks for getting the accurate information. Not sure why you deleted your posts?

If anything, I assumed that you were naive and didn't understand. As it turns out, I was the one who didn't understand.