Stupid Question about Mechanical Pencils

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBGYN2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a dumb question, but mechanical pencils (0.5 mm) are considered #2 pencils right? I think I have had too much studying, so I'm starting to go crazy :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah. Just look on the pencil and it should say #2. Actually I use 0.7 mm and those are also #2 :thumbup:

OBGYN2010 said:
I know this is a dumb question, but mechanical pencils (0.5 mm) are considered #2 pencils right? I think I have had too much studying, so I'm starting to go crazy :)

Yes mech pencils will definitely work. You may want to consider using a good ol' fashioned #2 pencil tho, since bubbling in takes a little less time with those. Also it would sorta suck if your mech pencil jammed up right there in the middle of the test! :eek:

crazy_cavalier said:
Yes mech pencils will definitely work. You may want to consider using a good ol' fashioned #2 pencil tho, since bubbling in takes a little less time with those. Also it would sorta suck if your mech pencil jammed up right there in the middle of the test! :eek:

HEHE - I actually went out and bought 1mm mech pencils to reduce "circling" when filling in the grid!

#2 just corresponds to softness of the lead - just has to be dark. You could use black pen, but you couldn't erase...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the jamming issue is why I'm bringing along like 4 pencils. But I can't stand using bigger lead, and I think the bubbling time isn't such a big deal. I like having my pencil sharp all the time, which is why I like mechanical pencils. Helps for calculations and writing on the test, too!

LabMonster said:
HEHE - I actually went out and bought 1mm mech pencils to reduce "circling" when filling in the grid!

#2 just corresponds to softness of the lead - just has to be dark. You could use black pen, but you couldn't erase...

DO NOT USE BLACK PEN. The machines detect the filled out circles using an optical recognition system that relies on the *graphite* in your pencil.

Good move on the 1mm ;) hehe the crazy, paranoid things we pre-meds do. Don't forget to take more than one pencil in case your mech pencil jams up!

For some weird reason i use 1 mechanical pencil (0.5mm) and two regular sharpened pencil. I use the mechanical pencil on the actual test, but when i go to bubble i switch to the regular pencils.

I think I have a fear that I'm going to press too hard with the mechanical pencil, break the lead, then wind up ripping a giant hole in the answer sheet and not finish. Or maybe i'm just weird/

BaylorGuy said:
For some weird reason i use 1 mechanical pencil (0.5mm) and two regular sharpened pencil. I use the mechanical pencil on the actual test, but when i go to bubble i switch to the regular pencils.

I think I have a fear that I'm going to press too hard with the mechanical pencil, break the lead, then wind up ripping a giant hole in the answer sheet and not finish. Or maybe i'm just weird/

Keke I do the same thing - mech pencil on the exam booklet cuz I love that "always sharp" precision. #2 on the scantrons for the anal-retentiveness that consumes my every move.

I've just been thinking about this recently. Besides all of the other inane posts about crazy stuff (what to do before test day, what to eat, how to pee, etc.), does it officially make all of us weird that we are seriously debating/talking about what pencils to use on the test?? Just a thought.

And yes, always sharp is great as is anal-retentiveness

BaylorGuy said:
I've just been thinking about this recently. Besides all of the other inane posts about crazy stuff (what to do before test day, what to eat, how to pee, etc.), does it officially make all of us weird that we are seriously debating/talking about what pencils to use on the test?? Just a thought.

And yes, always sharp is great as is anal-retentiveness

Of course - anal-retentiveness is a great trait in a physician, don't you think?! :smuggrin:

I had to use the same exact pencil I used for every one of my practice tests.

Kazema said:
I had to use the same exact pencil I used for every one of my practice tests.

if thats not anal-retentive, i dont know what is. :thumbup: :laugh: