Stupid time frame questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camd2b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little confused with timing...

So you can submit your application June 1st only if your grades have been verified? i.e. it is advantagous to submit transcripts way ahead of time so you can submit and rather than waiting for Spring 07 grades?

You can also submit without MCAT score but school will not review until scores are released?

So if I am planning to get MCAT scores June 31st, is the correct sequence:
Now: send transcripts
June 1st: submit application
wait for spring 07 grades to be released
wait till MCAT scores released
wait for secondaries

Thanks! sorry if this sounds so confusing

Members don't see this ad.

So you can submit your application June 1st only if your grades have been verified? i.e. it is advantagous to submit transcripts way ahead of time so you can submit and rather than waiting for Spring 07 grades?

You can also submit without MCAT score but school will not review until scores are released?

wait for secondaries

people are probably going to correct me because i am just working from memory here. AMCAS will accept your transcript, but they do not start to look it over and verify it with what you have entered UNTIL you hit submit and it gets to the front of the line. i am not sure on this one, but i don't even think you can be verified until they have your MCAT. if you won't get your scores until the 31st, i would say wait to hit submit until you get them. have your transcript in by then already with spring grades on it. so my order is:
fill out primary app and save it online
send in transcripts with spring grades
get MCAT scores, celebrate, hit submit
wait for secondaries and verification

wait for secondaries

I wrote a blog entry about this a little while back: http://trumed.blogspot.com/2007/05/preparing-to-apply-part-1.html

Submit your transcripts early so AMCAS has them, but AMCAS won't verify your transcripts until you have submitted the application. Once you submit, AMCAS can certify your application without MCAT scores, schools can see your application, and you may even receive some secondaries from non-screening schools (without an MCAT score). Once your MCAT scores are released, they'll simply be added to your application and schools will be notified. Then you will receive your secondaries from screening schools.

While you can submit your AMCAS without MCAT scores, consider how you think you did on the MCAT, how you did on practice tests, etc. AMCAS suggests you contact your different schools and ask their preference.

Let me know if you have any other questions by email or PM. Yes, this is a confusing process.

(I should note that my initial blog entry was not exactly correct, and a perusing pre-med advisor from another school corrected me. What I posted above is the correct information.)