Stupidest answer in EK 101 Verbal!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkentm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following statements provides support for what the author probably means in implying that, “even after a millennium, it can still compel admiration and feeling in a less-than-devout society” (lines 24-26)?

A. Millions of people still flock to Egypt each year to admire the ageless wonder of the pyramids.
B. Though the site of countless horrible deaths, tourists still stand in awe at the Coliseum of Rome.
C. Though a majority of Americans profess a belief in a supreme being, a minority actually attend any type of religious services.
D. Young and old people alike, are increasingly tending to purchase rap music with religious themes.

The answer is C????? Maybe if the quoted verbatim was the last 4 words of that sentence i would agree. But otherwise, the answer should be A without a doubt. Just another reason why EK frustrates me so much. Btw, if anyone wants to know this question is from 101 VR passages, test #2

Members don't see this ad.

lol actualy after looking at it a bit more it seems like A is also wrong... but my point is C is just a terrible answer regardless of what the other answers are.

I remember putting A for this question. I thought that A and C were horrible choices, but A was better than C. I was kind of mad when I looked at the answer, but oh well, what can you do. Luckily, the AAMC verbal passages aren't too bad.

I remember putting A for this question. I thought that A and C were horrible choices, but A was better than C. I was kind of mad when I looked at the answer, but oh well, what can you do. Luckily, the AAMC verbal passages aren't too bad.

I put A too lol

Don't worry man, i was getting like ~7-8 on those. took AAMC 4 today and got a 10 on VR

Members don't see this ad :)
None of the answers were very good, but I'd say there are certainly worse questions/answers in that books, especially when you get to the last few tests. I don't even keep track of my scores for EK101 anymore, but I still recommend doing it for practice. I've been scoring 11+ on the AAMC though.

Lol I remember getting this one wrong too.

Just stick with it, don't worry about your scores too too much. Those types of awful questions aren't that prevalent until the later tests I think. So in general it's still good practice.

Lol i think everyone on this forum got this wrong. C is a terrible answer, A is slightly less terrible and I remember putting A.

I put A too lol

Don't worry man, i was getting like ~7-8 on those. took AAMC 4 today and got a 10 on VR

oh ok. that makes me feel better. I'm stuck around 7-9 at the moment and I'm already on EK 101 test 8. In two weeks I plan to start taking AAMC tests.

I think this type of question was put there to convince us of the importance of the reading for the main idea. A is a good example of the statement but is irrelevant to the main idea ( religion!), however, C captures the main idea of the passage and can follow from the statement. Not that i'm a verbal professional but this is how EK is biased toward "main idea". But after taking the MCAT for real (july 16th) MCAT verbal also asks for details. To me EK strategy was not the best.

ya, i remember this one. C sounds like the best choice tho. i think "less than-devote" is the key part of the question. The last part of the quote (in the question) makes C the best answer. A seems too extreme "millions of people"
but oh well, wut do i know, getting a 10 in verbal would be my greatest achievement :)

Man, I remember this question was annoying. Just read the explanation for each option, and gather some tips.

The answer is most certainly C. If it hasnt clicked yet, then try again.

The reality is that the mcat verbal is quite similar to EK verbal. Thus, the consensus for the best verbal practice on sdn is without doubt EK verbal.

When practicing for verbal, remember this: you will rarely feel 100% satisfied with an answer. You must be able to pick an answer choice that not only answers the question but also has some relevance to the main idea in the passage.

Finish all 101 passages in your EK verbal, and then come back to this specific question. If you've prepared yourself well enough, then this question will seem like childs play. I guarantee it. :)

I also put A because it at least contains something relevant to "even after a millennium." EK Verbal is beyond terrible but I think I'll keep using it because it's slightly better than using nothing at all.

I also put A because it at least contains something relevant to "even after a millennium." EK Verbal is beyond terrible but I think I'll keep using it because it's slightly better than using nothing at all.

Check out Princeton Review's Elite strategies for a 45. Comes with 9 verbal passages in the book, 21 online verbal passages, and 2 practice tests. I have found that they are pretty similar to the AAMC verbal (although a little harder), and there are very few mistakes/unreasonable answers.

Which of the following statements provides support for what the author probably means in implying that, "even after a millennium, it can still compel admiration and feeling in a less-than-devout society" (lines 24-26)?

A. Millions of people still flock to Egypt each year to admire the ageless wonder of the pyramids.
B. Though the site of countless horrible deaths, tourists still stand in awe at the Coliseum of Rome.
C. Though a majority of Americans profess a belief in a supreme being, a minority actually attend any type of religious services.
D. Young and old people alike, are increasingly tending to purchase rap music with religious themes.

The answer is C????? Maybe if the quoted verbatim was the last 4 words of that sentence i would agree. But otherwise, the answer should be A without a doubt. Just another reason why EK frustrates me so much. Btw, if anyone wants to know this question is from 101 VR passages, test #2

It actually makes perfect sense. I remember this passage just slightly, but it was about religion in general. The question isn't asking you to define the meaning of the phrase, but to put the phrase into context with the rest of the passage. If you think it's asking the meaning of the pyramid reference, then the question flew over your head.

EK Verbal is harder than the real MCAT from what I've seen. I've done 5 FL tests so far and only scored below an 11 once. On EK, I was averaging between a 9 and 11. The only real complaint I have about EK Verbal is that sometimes the answer key doesn't match up to the answer key description. It's kind of a pain to flip through 8 pages of lengthy read outs to accurately score your exam. I only ran into one major typo in the book. It was passage 9 regarding homosexuality and Freud.

If I recall correctly, the passage was about music, actually, and contrasted religious music to "new age" music. I actually did pick C for my answer, but it was still a weak answer. Answer A was likely wrong because of the lack of relevance to religious music, but I felt there was a problem with the way the question was worded. It didn't ask which statement explained what the quote meant, but which one provided support for what was meant. Although I picked C as my answer, I don't blame those who picked A either, as I think it could've been argued that A offered support through analogy.