Stutz Doc by Jonah Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borne_before

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am home sick today. I’m watching Stutz on Netflix. I’ve not finished it it it feels very Yalom esq.it’s interesting to see their vibe from a theoretical orientation. Ethics are an interesting part too.

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to post about this documentary. I don't understand how this can be okay from a professional ethics standpoint, but I haven't see the doc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to post about this documentary. I don't understand how this can be okay from a professional ethics standpoint, but I haven't see the doc.
On scale where ten is sexual intercourse with a patient and 1 is taking a Christmas cookie platter from a patient, I’d give it a two.

I found it difficult to get through, and frankly, not that interesting. I like Jonah Hill though, and the first 30 minutes of Superbad are probably the hardest I've ever laughed in a theatre, ever.

Last edited:
I guess maybe I am more interested in the process rather than content? I like seeing Jonah set some firm boundaries at the beginning, then confessing his frustration with progress of the film and his frustration with that leaking into therapy. It's clear they have a powerful alliance.

I'm also thinking about that being an ethical issue - because making the film did affect treatment.

What's also interesting is the Parkinsons theme. My own father is displaying symptoms but refuses to go see a doctor about it. He's always had a bit of an essential tremor and thinks it's because ssri withdrawal. But, it's a unilateral resting tremor and he complains of stiffness. But, his grandfather had it and my own father did speech/language research on Parkinson's patients for his own dissertation. Jonah and Stutz have an interesting and touching convo about that. One, I've chosen not to have with my own father for... reasons.

Reactions: 1 users
On scale where ten is sexual intercourse with a patient and 1 is taking a Christmas cookie platter from a patient, I’d give it a two.
I’m curious to hear more about your perspective on why it is only a 2. I’d put it more at a 7 or 8. Also interested where others would rate this situation.

As for Stutz’s own psychological makeup and his decision to participate in this project, I imagine his serious neurological diagnosis and awareness of his own mortality must have played a big role in his decision to move forward with the documentary. He’s trying to create his legacy, which in itself is okay, but I suspect it blinded him to the ethics of this situation.

Overall, I liked parts of it, disliked parts of it, and found parts boring. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I were watching with my psychologist friends. (Also if my father who had Parkinson’s didn’t recently pass away. Made some of it a bit intense for me.)

Interested to hear other thoughts!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users