Sub-10 on MCAT section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woltej1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT and got a 13BS, 11PS and 9VR. I was reading around on different forums and saw a couple people saying med schools, or at least some, will dismiss your application if you score a sub-10 on any section. Is this true for only very specific top tier schools or what?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the MCAT and got a 13BS, 11PS and 9VR. I was reading around on different forums and saw a couple people saying med schools, or at least some, will dismiss your application if you score a sub-10 on any section. Is this true for only very specific top tier schools or what?

i think you are fine. retake cause you got 33? the neuroticism with premeds are going too far

You have absolutely no chance at medical school. Thanks for playing.

JK

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the exact same scores as you. Don't worry.

I also got a 9 in one section and a 32 total and I have 6 interviews so far... none are "top tier" schools but most are ones that I'd be very happy at.

1 9 alone won't even hold you back from some top tier schools.

Also a 9 in a section but 34 total. Multiple interviews from mid-tier schools, no top-tier yet but I think this is more due to my mediocre GPA. Hope this makes you feel better!

people get interviews at Harvard with less than a 30, so yeah your fine.

I also had a 9 in VR albeit a higher MCAT paired with a good GPA and got interviews from 3-4 top 10's last cycle, so the 9 alone will not close any doors imo.

Maybe Harvard and Stanford will, but take a look at MSAR and you'll see that schools can forgive your being human.

I got a 9 on PS and have gotten 7 IIs. My reaches rejected me pretty ASAP though, so there may be something to that 9.