Sub 3.0 GPA and WVU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surag

kobayashi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from a good university with a sub 3.0 GPA and an MCAT of 37. I was wondering if I had even a chance as an instate student at WVU.

Please let me know if you can advise me of links or have any information. thanks.
Surag

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a good explanation for the crummy GPA? Other than the standard "I partied too hard but now I am mature and am prepared to devote my life to medicine and I really want to do dermatology?"

I have a crummy GPA because of a lot of things I went through at home. mostly with my dad and to a certain extent what my mom went through. I dont know if thats something I should share or at least how I should share.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you choose to apply this year, make sure you do something to improve your application in case you don't get in. You might consider the DO school, and you might consider a special masters program.

I would think a 37 would get you a good look, though.

Last edited:
This is just guessing, but for a state school, a 37 and being in-state should get you considered. I'd definitely find some way to explain the reason for your GPA being that low. Their view of it would probably depend on if it was just a really bad start or poor performance throughout the entirety of your undergrad.

Moving this to the What Are My Chances subforum.

To the OP.

How far below 3.0 are we talking? 2.98 or 2.5?

Either way, I would say that your odds of acceptance at a US allo school without some more coursework do not look good. A 37 shows that you performed well on test-day, but if you had consistent trouble performing throughout undergrad, a school will likely be concerned that you are going to have difficulty with the volume and strain of medical school coursework.

your best bet would be to enter a post-bac or special masters program to demonstrate that you can handle a high courseload and show a good upward trend. You want a strong performance you can point to to demonstrate that that early poor performance was due to those _______ issues and not the fact that you are a bad student.

thanks for all the replies!

Well I have a 2.78 GPA. I had about a 3.5 GPA for the pre-med requisites and I had about that score until my end of sophomore year.

things went down hill from there and if anyone were to look at my transcript they would notice 2 things.

i took almost exclusive hard sciences and I was doing bad suddenly.

I'm thinking of taking 2 courses each of the next 2 semesters(ill be working fulltime and my school doesnt allow me to take more than 2 a semester).
I'm working as a lab tech and hope to publish.
i plan on volunteering more this year as well and shadow physicians.
As a minority I hope that WVU will see that in me and perhaps take it into consideration
I'm actually not an underrepresented minority(indian) but I've noticed that very few minorities regardless of type attend the school(1 or 2 at the most a year)
I have full summer and a full semester of lab research experience

thanks for all the replies!

Well I have a 2.78 GPA. I had about a 3.5 GPA for the pre-med requisites and I had about that score until my end of sophomore year.

things went down hill from there and if anyone were to look at my transcript they would notice 2 things.

i took almost exclusive hard sciences and I was doing bad suddenly.

I'm thinking of taking 2 courses each of the next 2 semesters(ill be working fulltime and my school doesnt allow me to take more than 2 a semester).
I'm working as a lab tech and hope to publish.
i plan on volunteering more this year as well and shadow physicians.
As a minority I hope that WVU will see that in me and perhaps take it into consideration
I'm actually not an underrepresented minority(indian) but I've noticed that very few minorities regardless of type attend the school(1 or 2 at the most a year)
I have full summer and a full semester of lab research experience

I think you have a really good plan for next years apps and luckily that stellar MCAT will still be good for at least two more application cycles. If you're asking this question now, it's a little late for applying, but I think it's worth at least trying to send in an application for your state school. Just make sure you try to tell a complete and coherent story about your journey and your whole package as an applicant. But the downward trend in GPA will hurt. Most applicants trying to recover from a mediocre GPA at least have an upward trend at the end.

But kudos for already preparing for next years apps. That's what I always say. Always be preparing for next years apps while applying in the present.

wait...i dont understand why it is too late to apply for admission into 09...

also, I took the MCAT in 06 so this is the last year I can apply to WVU before my MCATs expire. WVU only accepts 2 year old MCATs-I have no idea why.

Also the comments I posted were in reference to applying this year for 09 matriculation. I know that the course work I'd be doing this semester would be too late to take into consideration, but I'm hoping that by doing well perhaps I can send those grades in and let them know in case of waitlisting. From my understanding they dont decide fully until April even.

it isn't too late, we were just saying that you should improve your application in case you don't get in.

That is terrible about your score's expiration, BTW. Good luck.

Your MCAT score is great! You need to address your GPA though. Do you have a good mentor who is writing a LOR for you? Talk to him/her about your GPA, and your personal struggles throughout undergrad. Then said person can write...."Surag confided in me that they have a less than competitive GPA, but I know through personal experience that this is not a reflection of their personal diligence, intellect, maturity or capabilities. I think they will be an outstanding addition to your medical school, and will make a wonderful physician." I would also consider writing about your "weaknesses" in your personal statement. You don't have to divulge volumes about your personal life, but if you briefly described your struggles, what prevented you from getting the GPA you feel you should have, and most importantly, what you have learned, it would be a good way to help smooth it over.

If you don't get in, I would take some more coursework, maybe get a masters? You could then show that you have the hardwork and diligence to succede in medical school.

This is the last year your MCAT will be valid at most places, so apply EVERYWHERE. MD, DO, Caribbean. Well, maybe not Caribbean.

thanks everybody!

Yea, its a good score so I'm hoping to get in, work well with my lab and hopefully get a good recommendation letter.

Actually, next year is the last year, most schools accept three years out from application time for MCAT score. So next year is the final cut.

surag

Last edited: