sub 3.0 gpa, post bacc --> SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentMD1

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Non trad here, worked in the office services industry for the past 8 years.
I guess you could call me a late bloomer, but I got my act straight now.

My undergrad degree is about a decade old, my cGPA is a bit under 3.0.
I'm currently taking a year of post bacc classes and doing great in them. Funny how opening a book instead of partying all day leads to good grades!

I'm still working, but taking as many classes as I can. The plan is: Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Histology, and retaking the MCAT.

How many classes do I need to take before I'm ready to apply for an SMP (preferably DO linked)?

I know some non-trads that got in last year and I know I can do it if I bust my ass. I heard carribean schools are an option, but I really want to choose DO.

Members don't see this ad.

If you get your GPA to above a 3.0, you should have a good shot at SMPs. While most SMPs do not need an MCAT score, a competitive MCAT score will definitely help your chances at admission.

The fact that you have been out of school for so long should tell SMPs that your undergraduate GPA is no longer representative of who you are as a student. Instead, they will care more about your post-bacc GPA.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. According to calculations, I need 40.5 credit hours @ 3.8 GPA to get my cGPA to 3.0
I'm thinking 2 years depending on how well I balance it with a job. I'm also preparing to retrain as an EMT in the meantime so I can get some healthcare job exposure too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have the pre-reqs for classes? e.g. bio, orgo, inorganic, biochem, physics? Those are on the MCAT and are required pre-reqs prior to matriculation. Some schools also like statistics.

What was your first MCAT score and how long ago? Keep in mind schools will see all your scores and consider them all. Some will average them too.

I have all my pre-reqs, just didn't do to well in classes back in undergrad.

I took the MCAT back then too, scored very well, but that score is old.

I had some serious life issues to work through I guess. But, I've definitely matured since then.
Just started preparing for the MCAT also.

Non trad here, worked in the office services industry for the past 8 years.
I guess you could call me a late bloomer, but I got my act straight now.

My undergrad degree is about a decade old, my cGPA is a bit under 3.0.
I'm currently taking a year of post bacc classes and doing great in them. Funny how opening a book instead of partying all day leads to good grades!

I'm still working, but taking as many classes as I can. The plan is: Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Histology, and retaking the MCAT.

How many classes do I need to take before I'm ready to apply for an SMP (preferably DO linked)?

I know some non-trads that got in last year and I know I can do it if I bust my ass. I heard carribean schools are an option, but I really want to choose DO.
I would say ace the four classes you're planning to take, and then go for the SMP.

I would say ace the four classes you're planning to take, and then go for the SMP.

Wow, really? So a 4.0 in just those 4 courses and a good MCAT would be enough to get into an SMP?

Thank you. That really makes things much simpler, I'll give it go and see which places will take me.

Time to get back to studying!

Wow, really? So a 4.0 in just those 4 courses and a good MCAT would be enough to get into an SMP?

Thank you. That really makes things much simpler, I'll give it go and see which places will take me.

Time to get back to studying!

SMPs are notoriously known for their rigorous curriculums, basically a paid trial run of med school 1st-year basic science courses. Getting in is one matter, but doing well is another beast on its own. You must give it your all as failing SMP will considerably dwindle your chance at getting accepted into med school.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm in this for the long haul.

Buckle down and study hard for the MCAT. Use Berkeley Review Series (BRS) and spend 2-3 months to really destroy this exam. If you do very well, then go to a strong SMP program like the one at BUSM (it is a very challenging program, just fair warning). If do not do very well, just go to some random DO one that has linkage.

Last edited:
It all depends on your MCAT score. You may not need to go SMP route if you do well in your upper division classes at the same time. Ace those classes and MCAT.
1- Take those classes and try to get close to 4.0
2- Take MCAT when you think you are absolutely READY.
3- Shadow DO/MD.
4- Volunter services.