sub 3.0 GPA with 22 DAT- My chances of getting into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

young901

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what you guys think of my chances of getting into dental school this year.

Sci GPA: 3.07--> My undergrad GPA was below 3.0 but took classes at a state univ and brought it upto this.
oGPA; 3.08

planning on taking more about 14 units in the fall. If I do well, it should be around 3.2/3.2

DAT; AA/TS/PA: 22/23/23

However the only thing is I got a 16 on RC.

I have applied once last year and it seems like it could potentially be a long process.

What you guys think? any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what you guys think of my chances of getting into dental school this year.

Sci GPA: 3.07--> My undergrad GPA was below 3.0 but took classes at a state univ and brought it upto this.
oGPA; 3.08

planning on taking more about 14 units in the fall. If I do well, it should be around 3.2/3.2

I have applied once last year and it seems like it could potentially be a long process.

The 16 RC is what's going to really hurt you.

Hello everyone,

oGPA; 3.08

I think you have a great chance for next cycle...but you should consider taking more advance science classes to increas your science GPA... The application center will re-calculate your gpa and there is a chance that migh even get lower.. Good luck. I am doing exactly same thing, taking biostatistics and biochemistry this semester.. Next semester I will take endocrinology, genetics and plants/people classes.. Just to increase my GPA and obtain new recommendation letters

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a great chance for next cycle...but you should consider taking more advance science classes to increas your science GPA... The application center will re-calculate your gpa and there is a chance that migh even get lower.. Good luck. I am doing exactly same thing, taking biostatistics and biochemistry this semester.. Next semester I will take endocrinology, genetics and plants/people classes.. Just to increase my GPA and obtain new recommendation letters

Just wondering, why do you think he has "a great chance" to get in? Is it just because of the good DAT score(with 16 RC)?

what are you doing this upcoming year?

I am afraid that your sGPA and RC is automatically going to get you filtered from many schools. I would retake the DAT.

Hello everyone,

oGPA; 3.08

Your chances will depend on how many schools you apply to. The higher the better.
I would aim at 15+

what are you doing this upcoming year?

Thank you everyone for your responses.

For the upcoming year, I am going to take about 13-14 units at a state university and continue with the research position I have at a dental school (Which I have been doing for a year).

I actually got admitted to a masters program at a dental school this year, but I had to defer the admission, because of a personal reason. If I do not get into dental school this year, I am planning on going to this program, in which I could potentially get a linkage deal to dental school.

If I do not retake my DAT and work on my GPA, would it increase my chances a bit?

Once again thank you for your honest opinion

I would not apply to schools that have cut off of RC score of 17. I can't recall which ones tho. Maybe it's in the ADA book?

What is your state of residence? Def. apply there? Also, I have the ADEA guide and it has the exact range of scores so I can help you find some exact stats if necessary or needed.
I know someone that got in with a 16 in Bio and another that got in with a 15 in PAT last year. It might take couple of times but you will eventually get in if you really want it :)

Just wondering, why do you think he has "a great chance" to get in? Is it just because of the good DAT score(with 16 RC)?

Yes, there is great chance this person will get lots of interviews. The RC is only one section of DAT. As long as during interview can demonstrate that can speak English and has a great personality.. He will be IN...:)
PLus, increasing the science GPA!!!

Thank you everyone for your responses.

For the upcoming year, I am going to take about 13-14 units at a state university and continue with the research position I have at a dental school (Which I have been doing for a year).

I actually got admitted to a masters program at a dental school this year, but I had to defer the admission, because of a personal reason. If I do not get into dental school this year, I am planning on going to this program, in which I could potentially get a linkage deal to dental school.

If I do not retake my DAT and work on my GPA, would it increase my chances a bit?

Once again thank you for your honest opinion

I think your DAT scores are great..( I envy you, lol) Just remember DAT scores are only good for 2 or 3 years depends on school.. so hurry up and increase your gpa!!!