sub-30 mcat with an "early" acceptance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potuhusky

Will fix broken hearts
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many with a mcat below 30 have already been accepted, what school/s, and when?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 29 and was accepted at Jefferson, Temple, and Penn State in October. It's definitely possible, just make sure everything is in really early.

I have a 28 and I was accepted at Loyola in mid december (interviewed Nov. 22nd)
keep the faith!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 29 and was accepted to Temple around mid-October of last year and Drexel in late November. The key is to apply early. By early I mean to be the first to submit your AMCAS on June 1st and when you get a secondary have it out within a couple of days.

What was your gpa?

yeah, totally...early is key

slickness and i have the same MCAT and i've done the opposite, i'm a huge procrastinator and have three secondaries left to complete! not that i really have to say it...i have no interviews.
probably the thing thats really holding me back is not the august MCAT, but the fact that i didnt get the AMCAS in until mid september and the secondaries near their due dates.

i think i'm boned...don't be me, get stuff in early!

at least i've applied to 24 schools, maybe a couple will give me a chance to really shine at an interview...time will tell

me too. I have a 28 and two acceptances (Drexel and UMDNJ-NJMS), two more interviews coming up, as well as still waiting to hear from NYMC post-interview (in December). My GPA also wasn't stellar, 3.3 or so overall.

Its definitely possible. Get your crap in early and DON'T GIVE UP HOPE.

Originally posted by youcandoit
me too. I have a 28 and two acceptances (Drexel and UMDNJ-NJMS), two more interviews coming up, as well as still waiting to hear from NYMC post-interview (in December). My GPA also wasn't stellar, 3.3 or so overall.

Its definitely possible. Get your crap in early and DON'T GIVE UP HOPE.

Are you black? Race is a relevant factor many fail to mention when the give the good ole "I got a 17 and got into 5 schools!" line.

i guess i should have posted my own at the start. i have a 28 from the april mcat, applied early to midseason (still ahead of the august mcats), and i have one acceptance given mid dec.

of course it was the school where my application was sent during the first week... NYU. i did not interview until early dec. still, it really does pay to apply early!

No, I'm not black. I'm a white. I have spent lots of time thinking about why they let me in, and I honestly think that my desire fto be a doctor has come through in my LORs, personal statement, and activities (because I sure can't explain it with my less-than-stellar GPA and MCAT). Moral is, it's possible.

ps - I've also been rejected from Tulane and put on pre-interview hold at Albany, so its not like my life is raining acceptances or anything. I'm just saying that it IS possible to be accepted with lower numbers and without minority status.

Originally posted by youcandoit
No, I'm not black. I'm a white. I have spent lots of time thinking about why they let me in, and I honestly think that my desire fto be a doctor has come through in my LORs, personal statement, and activities (because I sure can't explain it with my less-than-stellar GPA and MCAT). Moral is, it's possible.

ps - I've also been rejected from Tulane and put on pre-interview hold at Albany, so its not like my life is raining acceptances or anything. I'm just saying that it IS possible to be accepted with lower numbers and without minority status.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are LOR's? Thanks. ;)

LOR= letter of recommendation

Members don't see this ad :)
29 MCAT, accepted Dec. 22 to Loyola University. I interviewed with biffbuddy :) Hey biff, what up?!?

edit: Also interviewed at BU, turned down interviews at NYMC and Finch, and have an interview coming up at Loma Linda...

hey AlreadyInDebt,
congrats on your interview? may i ask when you were complete and when you were invited for an interview at loma linda?

"congrats on your interview?" oops i didn't mean the question mark there

I have a 29 MCAT and have been accepted to UF, Jefferson, Tulane, and Northwestern...the first three in October, and Northwestern during their first acceptance date (I know I was shocked too!!)

youcandoit, Where did you go to undergrad and what was your science gpa? Thanks so much.

Originally posted by genome25
hey AlreadyInDebt,
congrats on your interview? may i ask when you were complete and when you were invited for an interview at loma linda?

I was complete mid october and invited for an interview early Jan. Good luck to you too!!

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
29 MCAT, accepted Dec. 22 to Loyola University.
Hmm, I also have a 29 MCAT and was accepted Dec. 22, but to USUHS.

Do those of us with a sub-3.5 gpa count? I have a 31 MCAT and a 3.3 gpa. I have an acceptance at Drexel and am waitlisted at Penn St. and Jeff. I want to hear from some NY schools dammit!!!

Originally posted by ForensicPath
Do those of us with a sub-3.5 gpa count? I have a 31 MCAT and a 3.3 gpa. I have an acceptance at Drexel and am waitlisted at Penn St. and Jeff. I want to hear from some NY schools dammit!!!

Naw, I think you're going to have to start a new thread for that... :laugh:

I got a 29, got interviews almost everywhere I applied, and got accepted in December at my first choice. All you sub-30 MCATers with no acceptances, keep your heads up- it will happen!

I have a 27Q MCAT, 3.35 science GPA. I was accepted to MCV/VCU on October 15 and accepted to Drexel in late October. I have received 7 interviews so far.

The key is to have excellent EC's and LOR's as well as applying early. I was complete at all 20 schools by the first week of September.

Good luck and stay confident!!

Ahem....a "friend of mine" got lower than 30...and got into George Washington Univ. and had applied in late August.

The fact that I too got into GWU is pure coincidence, as I decided long ago to never post my MCAT score.

Thank you.